My First Blog! Poker, my journey from zero, through zero, to still zero

• lukehudd
      lukehudd
      Basic
      Hi my name is Luke I started playing Poker in 2007 after watching Poker After Dark and thinking how cool these Poker players are and thinking wow, can you actually make a living out of playing poker. It was this year when I decided it was time and so I deposited $50 and set off on my journey to becoming a “Poker Pro”. Little did I know, how difficult this journey was going to be and that 8 years down the line I would still be considered a beginner who knows very little about the game.

After playing fun tournaments with friends and dabbling with play money on PokerStars I decided I owned this game and I deposited $50.

A yo yo rollercoasted ride ensued and I played in games which where way beyond the limit that my bankroll should of dictated and with every loss I chased and chased. Sometimes I got it back, but more often than not I didn’t and it was only a couple days before I was well and truly bust.

At this point, with no real job, a poor income and pressure from my parents to get on in life I decided that pursuing Poker at this time was not viable and I decided to put it to one side. Work, life and University took over and Poker was nothing more than a distance dream.

I studied Civil Engineering at what is now known as Leeds Beckett University in England, West Yorkshire. I approached my studies in the same way I approached Poker, I was young and naïve and believed that just turning up and doing the bare minimum would be enough. I struggled through University but somehow came out of the other end and pursued a Career as a Highway Engineer.

I came back to Poker in 2010 in much the same way as I began, I figured the best way to learn was to jump in at the deep end and I would somehow “pick it up” along the way. 2010 was another rollercoaster ride which inevitably ended up in me busting out and leaving Poker for another 2 years.

In 2012, after receiving an email from PokerStars about their PokerSchool which had been set up I decided it was again time to dive in to Poker and have another go. I set off learning as well as playing, my game improved, the importance of simple aspects which I had ignored in the past became clear and I had some success. My poker had improved, I was finally moving forward, however as time went on studying time decreased and playing time increased along with the losses. It wasn’t long before I was bust and I decided that was it, this game is hard, I give up.

I came across PokerStrategy in April 2015, I looked at the content and thought wow there is so much here to learn. I briefly read through the titles of each session, titles such as Poker Equity, Hand Combinations, Calculating Equity, Strategies which I realized I had never studied before. I decided to come back, I deposited $100 on April 3rd 2015 and, just over 4 months down the line, I have played thousands of hands, hundreds of tournaments, and despite only having a bankroll of $112 I am slightly up but more importantly I am still here.

My study/playing time is around 30/70 at the moment, I am moving through the lessons and I am learning the game and hopefully improving as I go. I am slowly increasing this time and hope to be studying more than playing. Spots which alluded me in the past, which I considered bad beats, when in fact they were great situations and fantastic plays by my opponents, are now situations I look out for and look to exploit. Hands which I considered strong are now weak, spots which I considered a good place be are now bad, and vice versa.

The way I have approached Poker is much the same way I have approached life, I have put in minimum effort and expected to get results. I believe Poker has taught me a lot and that you cannot achieve your goals without hard work and a greater understanding.

I am looking forward to moving forward with PokerStrategy and I am looking forward to sharing my journey with the community here. Hopefully this blog will improve my game, and I hope that, those of you who are reading, can take some of the lessons I have learnt the hard way, and eliminate them from your journey before they begin.

My next posts will be some graphs and charts.
  • 4 replies
    • lukehudd
      lukehudd
      Basic
      Hi can a moderator please move this to poker blogs, inevitably I am sill making school boy errors with all poker related things haha
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Hi lukehudd,
      Originally posted by lukehudd
      can a moderator please move this to poker blogs
      I just did that for you. Welcome to the blogs! :f_drink:

That was a nice introductory post, by the way. It's great that you're learning from your past mistakes, and that you're willing to continuously improve. If you can keep this mindset through the rest of your career, I don't see much that can go wrong.

I'll certainly be following. Whenever you need some advice on anything, just let me know.

Do you have a tracked account already?
    • lukehudd
      lukehudd
      Basic
      Hi Harrier88

Thanks for moving this and your reply which was great and much appreciated. I have tried tracking my PokerStars account but I have received the following message as bellow.

This poker room did not report any StrategyPoints until now. Please check on your StrategyPoints page if there's already data available for the last days. Sometimes it takes several days before the points are reported to us. Only if no points appear, despite data being reported, should you contact our customer support.
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      It's true, it is unfortunately not possible to track any existing accounts you may already have. In order to get a tracked account, you would have to create it through our website. If you want to do that, you can take a look at our partner rooms over here and choose any offer you like (be sure to follow the instructions carefully).

But don't rush in yet. We have a dedicated forum thread over here where you can get some advice on which poker room would be the best for your current situation. Maybe you want to stop by there first.

Then again, it might be a bit too early to talk about this stuff. Maybe it would be better for now to explore the basics first, before moving on to the more advanced strategies and concepts that require a higher status.

So what kind of games do you play, and which articles have you read so far?