Always 3rd

• tezzcki
      tezzcki
      Global
      I got a huge problem, every time I manage to stay to top4/top5 in SnG's, I always end up third, or even whitout money, its like that im the chip leader/second or something like that, and then I manage to lose my moneys in only a few hands.

Does anyone else have the same problem and/or know how to help not to do the same mistakes and play too aggressive/ or just bad luck, etc.

My first post so its messy, I know.
  • 15 replies
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Hi tezzcki,

Finishing 3rd alot, is usually a sign that you are not playing the bubble properly. You could be making all sorts of mistakes.

I would suggest that you train on ICM Trainer (if you don't already) heres the link - http://www.pokerstrategy.com/software/

Also, the sample hands forum will help you imensly. You will get your hand evaluated by a professional hand judge. Please post hands here - http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1429

Regards,
      Stiev
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver
      you are getting bubbled?

play tighter when you are the chip leader, having large stack means that you dont HAVE to play hands, just wait for the really good ones
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Originally posted by excelgeo
      you are getting bubbled?

play tighter when you are the chip leader, having large stack means that you dont HAVE to play hands, just wait for the really good ones
      A common mistake!

Use your huge amount of FE to accumilate chips. +95% of players can't play with a big stack.

Regards,
      Stiev
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      yea it's true... agression is the key :)
      In general, the bigger my chipstack, the looser I push. This is on the bubble ofc, can't push quite as loose ITM :)

This does not mean you shoulden't play aggressive when you are a smaller stack, but you have to be carefull not to push against bigstacks because you will get called with a wider range.

Steal agressive against tight players with a smaller stack
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver
      Originally posted by cannell555
      Originally posted by excelgeo
      you are getting bubbled?

A common mistake!

Use your huge amount of FE to accumilate chips. +95% of players can't play with a big stack.

Regards,
      Stiev
      look i generally agree

two reasons i said that:
      1. the strategy section states that if you have a big stack you should only play premium hands

2. the guy plays lag style and he loses, which means he cannot pick his spots as he should, maybe he should reconsider styles until he gets the hang of it
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Maybe we can agree to disagree.

But playing very tight with a big chip lead is a -ev decision in the long run. Therefore I'd advise against it, regardless of how this player currently plays, he needs to learn the correct way. TaG at this stage is not the correct way ;)
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver
      Maybe we can agree to disagree.

But playing very tight with a big chip lead is a -ev decision in the long run. Therefore I'd advise against it, regardless of how this player currently plays, he needs to learn the correct way. TaG at this stage is not the correct way ;)
      but i generally agree with you

the thing is that getting bubbled is a massive downer if you are a beginner. yes if you have a positive ROI and you are actually playing with money that you have won then you have a certain air of confidence about you.

so what i am advising here is for the fella to get in the money, make SOME profit, boost his confidence and so on. it is a different feeling if you KNOW you can do it than what he is experiencing right now

plus, do you really know the hands he is playing? maybe he is too loose, because he doesnt really know how to act. let him get some experience first i say.
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Hi,

No, knowone knows if he's loose/tight etc. All I said was that he is playing the bubble wrong, and should post hands.

My comment about playing to tight was actually aimed at you, and your comment.

Knowone can give advise about how he is playing, because we don't know. Thats why it's best to post hands, and evaluate every move.

I disagree again with the last comment. A player should aim to play good poker as soon as he can. Telling someone to tighten up untill ITM is simply bad advise, as its not the correct way to play.

PLAY WELL AND THE MONEY WILL COME, TRYING TO LIMP TO ITM IS WRONG, AND WILL GET YOU WORSE RESULTS. This is why I think the advise given is bad.

Regards,
      Stiev
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver
      Hi,

No, knowone knows if he's loose/tight etc. All I said was that he is playing the bubble wrong, and should post hands.

My comment about playing to tight was actually aimed at you, and your comment.

Knowone can give advise about how he is playing, because we don't know. Thats why it's best to post hands, and evaluate every move.

I disagree again with the last comment. A player should aim to play good poker as soon as he can. Telling someone to tighten up untill ITM is simply bad advise, as its not the correct way to play.

PLAY WELL AND THE MONEY WILL COME, TRYING TO LIMP TO ITM IS WRONG, AND WILL GET YOU WORSE RESULTS. This is why I think the advise given is bad.

Regards,
      Stiev

fair point

i just thought that from a psychological management aspect it is a good thing to make the money when you first start with tournaments and then aim higher, aiming for final tables in your first tournaments is a little unrealistic

but:

your point is right and i can see why you are saying what you are saying. if you are 100% sure that my advice is 100% wrong even for MTT beginners then fair play.

ps knowone = no one :D

now we both learnt something from each other

:)

laters!
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      cannell will never stop writing knowone... It's the only thing special about him :)

and btw if it wasn't clear to you we are discussing stt sng's here and not mtt's... or atleast I think so :)
    • mikeymac12
      mikeymac12
      Bronze
      I'm in the same situation as the op.

Seem to finish 4th more than I should.
      I'm working with the ICM trainer regularly and it helps a bit, but it seems at the low levels I'm playing I get called (then lose often).
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hlynkinn
      cannell will never stop writing knowone... It's the only thing special about him :)
      :D hehe

I am a scouser, so I tend to add lots of words together to make one better word :D adding and taking away letters when I think it'll make the word look sexy :)
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver
      Originally posted by Hlynkinn

and btw if it wasn't clear to you we are discussing stt sng's here and not mtt's... or atleast I think so :)
      DAMN my overlooking eyesight

ok then

post some hands but it is generally better to bully the table a little.

so KNOWONE is not a mistake but a trait? with my pride taking a double hit i can only get back to you. with topical humour.

why does the liffey run through liverpool?

if it walked it would get mugged
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      The canal runs through Liverpool though, and people put more in than they take out :D

For those that don't know, the liffey is a river that runs through Dublin. ;) just so, what I said makes just alittle sense to foreigners :)
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver
      i give up