Bet sizing with AA preflop

• maidenm
      maidenm
      Basic
      I recently played a pot were I was on the button with Q7s on an unopened pot. I raised to 2BB, the small blind called and the BB made it 6BB. I was immediately suspicious he had AA because of the small raise into 2 players. I called along with the SB. The flop came down Q74 (2 spades) and I won a massive pot. How much should BB or any player raise preflop. A to build a pot without betting too much so that the other players don't fold but also to disguise the hand. When a player bets weak like that unless they are really weak alarm bells start going off for me and they end up playing the rest of the hand face up. Any thoughts on bet sizing?
  • 2 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, maidenm,
      Welcome to PokerStrategy.com!

As you can see, I move your thread to the No Limit board.

Originally posted by maidenm
      How much should BB or any player raise preflop. A to build a pot without betting too much so that the other players don't fold but also to disguise the hand.
      Good Question. The problem is that is you have a specific bet size for AA players will soon know to fold. So whatever size you open with from any position, you open that size with AA as well.

However... If you have someone behind you that calls WAY too much, if you open larger, he will likely call that as well.

As far as squeezing in the BB with AA, I suggest just betting your normal squeeze size -- unless you know that BU and SB call squeezes wide.
      That is the purpose of opening 2BB from BU -- to be able to play more pots postflop.

AA is useless unless someone else has a hand they can call a raise with. If they're just going to fold, let them.
      It is far better to get the blinds than let them draw to their 72o and hit the third deuce on the river.

All the best,
      VS
    • maidenm
      maidenm
      Basic
      Thanks. Good post. It is a weakness that I see a lot at lower levels i.e. an undersize raise into multiple players. It prices people in once 1 person calls and gives a big clue to the strength of your holding without getting much info on the others players. A bet of 8BB looks much weaker, more like 10s or like you say a squeeze play and could still possibly get a caller with KQ on the button. When the flop comes down Q74 you can confidently bet it (with your pretend 10s ;) ), then check raise the turn if it doesn't look too scary.