Don't Call It A Comeback

• brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      Hello,

I wanted to start this blog as a way for me to get serious again about poker. I have been playing poker online for about 3-4 years.

I first started on PokerStrategy.com, after losing my first ever deposit on TitanPoker. That was a few years ago and back then they were offering a free no deposit bonus of $50. I chose CakePoker and built up a roll of over $1000.

After withdrawing, I would always end up depositng small amounts into other sites playing tournaments and wining and withdrawing. I feel if i kept building a roll I would have been in a better position now a days lol

Lately I have been losing and not able to get a string of wins together. I got lazy with studying and analyzing my game so it has suffered.

Starting today, with this blog I will start to improve my game and begin to take it seriously again. I want to use the blog to update and keep track of my play and results, set and accomplish goals towards building a proper bankroll, listen and learn from other players and ultimately become a better player.

I have started with a $150 bankroll on bet365 poker and will plan on grinding cash games .02/.04 during the week before work and some days after. I also will plan on playing tournaments on weekends I am free because those are the games I enjoy the most and feel more comfortable in. I have grinded cash games before and was mainly break even player so will look to start improve my game in that area, which will be beneficial when I play live. There are more live cash games than tournaments in my area.

I just purchased HM2 which will assist as me as well as building PS.com points to read articles and watch videos. I am also ordering books that I have always wanted to read.

Anyways I hope to hear from other great players on this site and learn and grow with everyone here. Once I get home I will start my journey and update from there.

Thanks for reading and good luck at the tables everyone!
  • 20 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, brobz,
      It sounds like you have a solid plan.

Best of luck with your progress!

Cheers,
      VS
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      Thanks Vorpal, appreciate it!

I decided to add a little more to my bankroll with a deposit, wanted to make it easier to grind out the bonus.

I will now start with the following,

Starting Bankroll: €425
      My goal for the year will be to get to €2500

I am going to start on bet365 but will switch rooms every so often to grind out more bonus.

Today I will study some 6max strategy, articles and videos, and start on €.05/€.10 tonight.
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      The poker room I am currently using isn't very good for my timezone. I didn't get to play many hands last night as table kept breaking. I did squeeze out a little bit of a winning but nothing much. I am playing, like most players, on a different currency. Since the poker room exchanges the currency each time I play I figure it would be easier just to track in my regular currency.

I have in my account $641 CAD which equals to about €432
      After last night's session I am up €7 or about $10 CAD

Will hopefully get a nice session in tonight and post some hands
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey brobz,

Welcome to the 'Get Rich or Die Tryin' bankroll challenge. we will be looking forward to your first update which you should post by Monday of each week in Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge - Reporting thread.

Have fun :gl:

Laz
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Lazza61
      Hey brobz,

Welcome to the 'Get Rich or Die Tryin' bankroll challenge. we will be looking forward to your first update which you should post by Monday of each week in Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge - Reporting thread.

Have fun :gl:

Laz
      Thank you very much!

I am kind of confused though, what exactly do I post in the updates? I don't think it is worth it for me to update until next Monday since I just started.

Thanks for the help
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      Hand Information
      , 0.1 BB (4 handed).
      Hand History converter courtesy of pokerhandreplays.com

Table Information
      Seat: 3 Hero ($12.84) Big Blind
      Seat: 5 player5 ($4.65)
      Seat: 6 player6 ($22.87) Dealer
      Seat: 8 player8 ($15.12) Small Blind
      Dealt to Hero
      :9d:  :8h:  

Preflop (Pot:0.15)
      player5    CALL $0.1
      player6    FOLD
      player8    CALL $0.05
      Hero    CHECK

Flop(Pot: $0.3)
      :Qc:  :6c:  :7d:  

player8    CHECK
      Hero    CHECK
      player5    CHECK

Turn(Pot: $0.3)
      :Qc:  :6c:  :7d:  :5d:  

player8    BET $0.3
      Hero    RAISE $1
      player5    FOLD
      player8    CALL $0.7

River(Pot: $2.3)
      :Qc:  :6c:  :7d:  :5d:  :Qh:  

player8    CHECK
      Hero    BET $1.6
      player8    CALL $1.6

Hero  wins the pot: $5.5

Really, the only interesting hand I had. Wish I would have gotten more value on river

Hand Information
      , 0.1 BB (6 handed).
      Hand History converter courtesy of pokerhandreplays.com

Table Information
      Seat: 1 player1 ($17.39) Dealer
      Seat: 3 Hero ($9.9) Small Blind
      Seat: 5 player5 ($9.66) Big Blind
      Seat: 6 player6 ($17.59)
      Seat: 8 player8 ($12.37)
      Seat: 10 player10 ($10)
      Dealt to Hero
      :Td:  :Ts:  

Preflop (Pot:0.15)
      player10    POST $0.1
      player6    FOLD
      player8    FOLD
      player10    CHECK
      player1    FOLD
      Hero    RAISE $0.5
      player5    CALL $0.4
      player10    FOLD

Flop(Pot: $1.15)
      :2s:  :3s:  :4s:  

Hero    BET $0.8
      player5    CALL $0.8

Turn(Pot: $2.75)
      :2s:  :3s:  :4s:  :Qs:  

Hero    CHECK
      player5    BET $1
      Hero    CALL $1

River(Pot: $4.75)
      :2s:  :3s:  :4s:  :Qs:  :4c:  

Hero    CHECK
      player5    BET $0.1
      Hero    CALL $0.1

Hero  wins the pot: $4.95

Is there value here in raising, I went check/call just incase of any J,K, or small spade Ax
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      First hand looks pretty standard to me. I don’t think you missed value there or villain is a calling station.

2nd hand I would most likely fold the turn against a unknown. You can beat only weaker flushes and it’s unlikely he will bet that on a board with 4 spades. River looks pretty standard and I don’t think you get any value with raising or you have reads villain is a complete lunatic.

Good luck to improve you’re game :gl:

Cheers,
      SDK1987
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by brobz
      The poker room I am currently using isn't very good for my timezone. I didn't get to play many hands last night as table kept breaking. I did squeeze out a little bit of a winning but nothing much. I am playing, like most players, on a different currency. Since the poker room exchanges the currency each time I play I figure it would be easier just to track in my regular currency.
      Hi, brobz,
      Nice to see another Canuck here!
      What part of the country?

Few poker rooms now have good traffic in our evenings. By the time I sit down to play at 20:00, it is 05:00 in Central Europe and 06:00 in Moscow.

It may be possible in some poker rooms to maintain your balance on the site in € and only experience exchange when you deposit or with draw -- and that exchange is charged by your bank, not the room.

I'm not sure which rooms you play at, but on those where I must keep my account in $CAD, the exchange rate is the same when money goes on the table as when it come off, so there is no differential exchange cost. That should be the case everywhere. If NOT true for your room then I'd suggest finding a better room.

I had the idea once of maintaining a $US bank account from which to deposit, and to which to withdraw, but the poker site in question (PokerStars) said that they could only accept money from my bank in $CAD. That is a bank limitation though.

All the best,
      VS
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Hi, brobz,
      Nice to see another Canuck here!
      What part of the country?

Few poker rooms now have good traffic in our evenings. By the time I sit down to play at 20:00, it is 05:00 in Central Europe and 06:00 in Moscow.

It may be possible in some poker rooms to maintain your balance on the site in € and only experience exchange when you deposit or with draw -- and that exchange is charged by your bank, not the room.

I'm not sure which rooms you play at, but on those where I must keep my account in $CAD, the exchange rate is the same when money goes on the table as when it come off, so there is no differential exchange cost. That should be the case everywhere. If NOT true for your room then I'd suggest finding a better room.

I had the idea once of maintaining a $US bank account from which to deposit, and to which to withdraw, but the poker site in question (PokerStars) said that they could only accept money from my bank in $CAD. That is a bank limitation though.

All the best,
      VS

VorpalF2F I am in Toronto, how about you?

I am currently playing on bet365, it doesn't seem to allow me to exchange my whole roll at once, if that's what you mean, but each time I play cash for example, whatever I buy in for is the same exchange rate when I leave the table. Because the CAD(screw Harper right!? lol) can fluctuate so much maybe its better this way?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I played a few hands the other night, the examples which I posted. Wasn't able to get much done but my ending roll for that night was
      Bankroll:$648 CAD

I played again tonight, had some nice chances against some very loose players. Almost won about a 250bb pot but had to split it in the end.

Once again the tables are breaking too fast and not able to play long. I will have to really try and get my play in before work as I work afternoon shifts. I like playing for a few hours on Stars and other sites around those times but this room, based on the player base, isn't high in volume at that time.

I got a few pots so ended the night up
      Total Bankroll: $655

Anyway thanks for the reply guys, its good to be back again. Take care.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, brobz,
      I'm in Langley -- about 40km E of Vancouver.

If you're curious, you could check w/ Bet365 support to find out what their exchange policy is, and where you can check what the rate is.
      You can always calculate what rate you get by putting exactly 10 € on a table, then dividing by how much in $CAD your roll drops.
      To confirm it is the same both ways, do the reverse calculation when you're done.

You could compare that rate with the one you find here:
      http://www.xe.com/
      To see how it compares.

All the best,
      VS
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      Thanks Vorpal, I am just going to switch sites I think. I have always hated i-poker, so those are the only rooms I can use for PS.com as others I started a long time ago.
      Ill try to see if I can get a reload bonus on old pokerstrategy rooms

I played a bit last night after being away for a few days

Played a $1R tournament which I bombed early, I use to cash so much in tournaments now I can't string anything together lately.

Played 194 cash hands and won about 80bb
      I will post some hands in a bit as well as study more.

Planning on a long session tomorrow

Bankroll: $661
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Ho brobz,

I am almost sure you became a serial Grinder this week, not having had the time to update your Bankroll challenge?
      Or is it going rather in the opposite time, not having the time for grind?
      Anyway let us know how your cashgame experience went, as well as your Rebuy tourneys...
      Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge - Reporting thread
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      OK LETS TRY THIS AGAIN LOL

I really had good intentions when I started this challenge but alas I fell back into old ways ;) I barely started grinding on bet365 when I had to withdraw my money and spend it on life

Anyway, on February 18 2016 I decided to deposit $150 CAD on Iron Poker, I also received a $50 bonus. I actually am starting to like I-Poker now because I can keep my currency(CAD) separate from the sites currency(EURO)

Through various promotions I also deposited $20 CAD, three times, for total of $60 CAD.

I decided to play for a bit before updating my blog because I wanted to make sure I was serious again before getting started. I am following strict bankroll management and have turned my account into $970.59 CAD.

I played about 70 tournaments and about 2500 cash game hands, not a whole lot.

Unfortunately I accidently deleted my HM2 database and have to start again with my tracking of hands. ( IF ANYONE CAN PLEASE HELP ME SEE THIS LINK--------> DELETED DATABASE THREAD )

I also won 248 CAD, on PartyPoker Saturday night which I hope to add to my Iron Poker account shortly.

Now that I have actually built up my account within a few months I have my confidence back I am really ready and eager to give this a try again and really improve my game.

I made a goal, when I deposited the $150 CAD, to grind it to $10,000 CAD by the end of the year. I am hoping I can accomplish this goal. I am about 12% there with my recent PartyPoker win.

Ill add the PartyPoker win to my IronPoker account and continue to grind. I am not a huge fan of I-Poker schedule because of my time zone so my goal is to move my complete roll on to PartyPoker soon. However, when I signed up to Iron Poker I got a free $50 USD instant bonus for signing up, which was very nice. The catch however I need to accumulate 2,500 more points before I can withdraw my account. I will need to get those points before I move my roll onto PartyPoker.

Well I hope to update my blog more. Definitely on a weekly basis and each time I have a session. Wish me luck!! :)

Please read my thread of my lost database if you have time, getting those hands back, if I can, would be a great help

Thanks for reading
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      Played a 324 hand session last night. At the end I lost a 1.5 buy in. I overplayed some over-pairs early in the session and suffered bad for it, I was able to grind up a bit but not a very good start, I still have a lot to learn here

I am still waiting for my withdrawal of my PartyPoker account and will then add it to Iron poker, after last nights session I am at;
      Hands: 324
      Win/Loss: €34.28
      Bankroll: $918

I will post hands in the hand discussion forum and read some articles, watch a few vids then have another session
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      Tried playing a session and tables just broke up. My site really has shitty traffic at this time.

Hands: 23
      Win/Loss: €4.50
      Bankroll: $912.06 CAD

I am up early tomorrow and finally have a day off, plan on doing a marathon then
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      I added my PartyPoker account to IronPoker like I had mentioned in my first post. I figured I might as well join on all my rolls as one.
      $912.09+$242.28
      Bankroll on IronPoker : $ 1154.07 CAD

I played a few €1 satellites, trying to get into a iPOPS event but was not successful :(
      Tournaments: 5
      Win/Los: €6

I played 252 cash game hands later, I posted the following hands in the forums:

1. NL20 AKo vs loose opp

2. NL20 TP against loose opp

3. NL20 flop 2pair 3 way

4. NL20 KK 3 bet pot

To update:
      Hands: 252
      Win/Loss: €1.75
      Bankroll: $1146.89 CAD

All in all not a great session, I made up for some losses and was up for a bit but the last few hands I let get away

Definitely going to read some more and more videos then play again tonight.

If someone could help me with one problem:

How can I post my graphs from HM2 into my blog to keep better progress?

Thanks!
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin

If someone could help me with one problem:

How can I post my graphs from HM2 into my blog to keep better progress?

Thanks!
      Hey brobz,

The easiest way is to take a screenshot of your graph, save it to your desktop and then simply drag and drop the image into your post.

Cheers :f_drink:

Laz
    • brobz
      brobz
      Bronze
      Awesome didn't realize it was that easy, was looking for a link to attach earlier

Thanks for the help
    • vonki
      vonki
      Coach
      Coach
      Best of luck in your bankroll challenge! :f_thumbsup: