NL100 vs NL200 on PokerStars

• DeKuip
      DeKuip
      Bronze
      Couple days ago I went up from NL100 to NL200 on PokerStars, I play SSS. Now I'm experiencing a huge difference between those two limits. NL200 is super-tight compared to NL100 and it's so hard to adjust to that.
      I know there are people here who have experience on both limits, so I'm asking for your help.

Should I open less tables than I'm used to and only the loose tables. Should I loosen up badly and how?
      My main problem is that I don't get any action on my open-raises and no action when I reraise someone else. Am I that predictable when they see a shortstack?

Because of losing $450 last 2 days I decided to step back again to NL100, cause I'm either not ready for it or I'm just having a downswing.

So if people here have sugggestions, wanna share experiences or have any useful tips, please post them.
      I'd love to get higher up in the limits, so I'd really want to get this problem solved :)

Thanks!
  • 16 replies
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Well, I am not a shortstacker, but I guess you should start to resteal more against tags and open looser in Co or BU.
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      When I was in-between jobs I once considered short-stacking seriously. With this in mind I datamined a whole load of hands played by Raoh_ to try and understand what it was that made this guy such a massive long-term winner at Party NL200-1000 over 12 tables.

He played a very non-standard SSS. 10/11% vp$ip, 24% ATS,cbet flop 20%.

A long held prejudice of mine is that if your vp$ip is too low then you won't get action versus decent opposition. Also it would seem that exploiting post-flop edges rather than relying on pre-flop edges becomes much more important (with PFR-sizing to suit).
    • DeKuip
      DeKuip
      Bronze
      Interesting Nunki.
      I forgot to say, I'm unable to join the Advanced SSS coachings by xarry on wednesday, else I'd of course bother him with these questions ;)

I've never ever thought of analyzing someone else's hands to improve my own play. I'm stil playing 7/6 op NL200 and I'm probably way too agressive postflop what makes me pretty readable :(
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DeKuip
      I'm stil playing 7/6 op NL200 and I'm probably way too agressive postflop what makes me pretty readable :(
      When you play hands from early position you can cbet pretty much always. If you loosen up first-in from late position then you have to tone down the flop aggression versus certain players since your range is that much weaker.
    • Agiz19
      Agiz19
      Bronze
      Play less tables man until you are ready for this limit monstertabling. Its true that is more tight limit but that is just great you can steal a lot and give opponents a very loose image of you and they will start to call your raises with worst hands when you have your AA :) it works for me because I hate tables with 35%+ flop players who cannot fold any pair. Attend Xarrys coachings you can really improve because the guy is trully the SS master :)
    • ysessa
      ysessa
      Basic
      Hi Dekuip,

i personally played on pokerstars and have to say that for nl200/400 stars is maybe the toughest site to play. I dont think you can play 7/6 profitable on these limits. I played 12/11,5 with 34 ats and it was pretty tough. You need to steal a ton of hands and they go crazy in bvb so when you fold light to 3bets you will die. That are my personal experiences, so its possible to play stars 200 profitable but you have to adjust your play greatly. Raise looser from any position steal a ton and resteal even more^^

Best Regards

Ysessa
    • allizdoR
      allizdoR
      Bronze
      its such a big difference because on NL200 are the most sn and sne players. they play very tough but many tables to get as much points as possible.

so this is why there is such a big difference.
    • DeKuip
      DeKuip
      Bronze
      Thanks for all your input.
      Ysessa, I found your post really useful and it's clear to me know what's gotta change and why. Since I lost half of my BR I'm not even close to NL200 now, so it will have to wait.
      But maybe I can go to FTP instead and clear my bonus while playing NL200 there... However, I'd love to become Supernova on Stars because I really like the room itself.

But at least I need to know what to do to be able to play on NL200!

And I'd love to join xarry's coaching on wednesday, but I'm not able to do that due to other stuff ;)

So NL200 is not so easy to grind as NL100 is and it requires alot more good play and stuff like that, good to know :)
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      if you consider playing on stars 200+, you have to to play at night) 19:00 - 1:00 US time is the most profitable) tables get looser there. As people mentioned loosen up at late position, work out your steals/resteals (especially important for 9max games).
      Decreasing a number of tables is always a good strategy when you struggle with a limit).

Find another site with 10max games, split your roll and try it out)
    • CimkoPro
      CimkoPro
      Bronze
      Which site would be best to have other part of roll?
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by CimkoPro
      FullTilt, Ongame & iPoker. Party is a no-go
    • CimkoPro
      CimkoPro
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gerv
      Originally posted by CimkoPro
      FullTilt, Ongame & iPoker. Party is a no-go
      You mean party sucks for sss at higher limits?
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Nl1k FullRing regulars play at NL200 FR tables so I mean come on ;)
    • CimkoPro
      CimkoPro
      Bronze
      good you told me party was my first choise to try split since iv heard there is most fishes :D
    • allizdoR
      allizdoR
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gerv
      Nl1k FullRing regulars play at NL200 FR tables so I mean come on ;)
      I have never heard about this.
      some sss-players like me everything they can get from nl1k down to nl200 but this doesn't mean that we are so good ;)
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Lack of tables explains that they play on NL200 FR tables, if you are sozID I can imagine that ^^