Red line better than the blue one... what does it mean?

• tieppofer
      tieppofer
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

I play NL2 and everytime I'm about to move up to NL5 I hit a road block, I do get some bad beats, but I do think there are some leaks I should fix when talking about shoving my stack. Recently I've had a run of bad beats and losses that are not a result of poor playing per se, I think it could enter the "not-so-optimal" area. I think my pre-flop playing is really solid and my post-flop even though I do admit having some leaks is not that bad, but I do have a problem calling to many hands that I could fold.

Anyway, looking at my graphic I see most of my winnings come from my red line, what does that mean? Is it just bad beats or I have to stop compromising so much my stack in the table? What can I do to keep it more in a pattern?

I hope the questions are not too silly, I do have only 12k hands played, but I think I should've beaten NL2 by now.
  • 5 replies
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      You’re red line is pretty high for the NL2 stakes, because it’s not easy to get a high non show down winnings with players that likes to call often.

Off course is the sample on the low side to give conclusions on it and you’re Cev line is also higher. So it’s possible you had some bad beats or coolers in the last 12k hands.

At least you’re posting hands and that will help you as well to improve you’re game I think.

Best regards,
      SDK1987
    • Davidbzr
      Davidbzr
      Bronze
      don't pay attention to this lines only your game... the only line that matter is the green one, cacheen! :truestory:
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, tieppofer
      Originally posted by tieppofer
      I play NL2 and everytime I'm about to move up to NL5 I hit a road block,...
      This is common. For me it comes from the $ amounts suddenly being so much bigger. I try to combat that by thinking only of big blinds. It doesn't always work, and I take a hit when I begin taking a shot, then it levels out. I'm doing a shot at NL 10 now, and would have lost 3 stacks already except for a couple of lucky hands. Set yourself up to take a comfortable shot. Let's say you want to have 30 buy-ins of NL 5 to begin ($150)
      If you start NL 2 with 30 BI ($60), you have to win 45 buy-ins at NL 2 to fund that shot. BRM is everything!

Anyway, looking at my graphic I see most of my winnings come from my red line, what does that mean?
      The best discussion of the red-line / blue-line topic is here:
      "The Red Line Myth" by w34z3l
      Essentially, the red line has a steeper downward slope for passive players, loose players, and players who don't defend their blinds well.
      For Tight, aggressive players who defend well, it may be much flatter. As w34z3l's discussion shows, if you are aggressive, you may end up losing more when you get to showdown -- and I do see a couple of steep drops in your blue line -- but you cannot go changing how you play for a couple of big pots lost. Concentrate on reading opponents ranges accurately, and targeting players by their playing style. Aggression works on people who will fold better, or who will call with worse. It is a killer if you're trying it on players who will never fold better. If they fold their worse hands, you win smaller amounts, but it is still a win.

Take notes, and check stats.

I hope the questions are not too silly, I do have only 12k hands played, but I think I should've beaten NL2 by now.
      Sample size. In 12,000 hands you might have just hit a run of goofy hands, or played against people who fold to aggression too much.

Oh, and that graph looks pretty good for a player's 1st 12K hands.

All the best,
      VS
    • tieppofer
      tieppofer
      Bronze
      Thanks for the inside, Vorpal.

About hitting a roadblock, it's not really when I'm deep at the tables but everytime I'm near to reaching my BRM requirements (I'm planning to move up with 25 BI) I just have a bad session, idk, I might be changing my style or maybe it's just the game.

It's not actually my first 12k hands, but they are my first hands since 2012, so I'm re-learning the game and I see a lot changed since I took my break from the tables. What I do know is that I can beat NL2 and probably NL5 with my game, it's just not happening right now, idk why.

Anyway, thanks for the links and the nice words, I very much apreciate it.

Cheers :f_drink:
    • TNrgRNMD
      TNrgRNMD
      Basic
      Do you steal / resteal a lot? If you do that well, it for sure affects your red line since I don't think many NL2 players fight much for their blinds.