Bet amount

• Implied
      Hey everybody,

I've been studying poker for a few weeks and one of my concerns is related to a bet amount. In terms to demonstrate a powerfull hand I understand that any 2 or 2,5 x BB bet is enough, instead of 3x or more.

(sorry instead of poker I wroted english)

• 2 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, Implied,
      Welcome to!

After only a few weeks, your English is pretty good.
      Perhaps you could take a moment to Introduce yourself -- let us know where you're from, what poker types you play and so on.

When I first joined the recommendation was to open-raise 4x. The reasoning was to deny the Big Blind decent pot odds. The problem is that when the open raise is that large, 3Bets are much larger, and now pots can be 20 BB or more before the flop even hits.

With smaller open-raises, people that are going to fold will do so anyway, and people that will 3Bet will still 3Bet 3x the open-raise, so we get to the flop with a pot of 10 BB or so. On the BTN, we can open-raise more hands and call 3Bets wider without unnecessary risk.

Many players have adopted a pattern of 3x in EP & MP ( & SB), 2.5x in CO and 2x in BU

I've seen players that open very large -- up to 7x -- but unless they do that far too often I don't challenge them without a very strong hand.

Another thing to do is observe what everyone else is doing -- and do the same.
      If everyone is used to opening 4x and you open 2x they're going to play strongly against you.
      If you want that, then go ahead.

All the best,
    • Implied

I would like to apologize, co's instead of write "I've been studying poker " I wrote "english".
      Thanks for you answer,