My Journey. Starting BR - $100 (includes NL25 SSS and MTT's, and RAZZ!)

• matt1234
      matt1234
      Bronze
      I started playing poker around 3 years ago, from the age of 15 on Pokerpages freeplay MTT's. There I developed my love for tournaments and when I turned 18 in April of this year I started playing for cash.

To cut to now. I got $50 from Titan poker for free, and deposited it on Full Tilt, having lost the BR from PS.

On Full tilt, I got to $100 and withdrew my original $50. This way all of my BR is retained profit. It is now at $95 (just lost a buy-in or two since writing the title).

I realise that I'm playing a little out of BRM, but I'm finding the 10% rake on NL10 unworkable. Also as I have retained profit I'm willing to risk BRM for the moment in order to get properly rolled for NL25.

I also played $1/2 HU Razz over the summer in a semi-pro fashion. It's a great game but has far too many swings involved. Love a game though and will be playing it from time to time as I consider myself one of the best players at that limit on site.

MTT's I've managed to get an ROI of 45% over the past 4 months, on an average of $3 MTT's, which I believe is quite respectable. Keep missing out on the big cashes though. Never won an event, despite around 5/6 final tables. It'll come I'm sure.

Yours,

Matt
  • 4 replies
    • matt1234
      matt1234
      Bronze
      Right, the first aim of a blog is to update it right?

Here's why I haven't:

$100 -> $10 in 2 days playing NL10 SSS and FL50 razz. I know most readers out there will say 'you are playing razz at too high a limit for your BR of $100!!' but really I perhaps lost a small amount compared to the amount I lost in the Hold'em. Every time I got it in good, and lost. Became beyond a joke.

Yesterday I entered a $2+0.25 MTT on FTP and managed to come 18th of 850, which was disappointing having got so far but gave a small boost to my bankroll, I hope to go deeper tonight.

I decided to Play more tables at NL10. The standard of play is shocking and my bad luck can only turn around right? Just won $15 playing for an hour 6-tabling, so perhaps I was right!! $10->$25 and may it continue to head in that direction!!

Hand postings to come in the distant future I expect, stay tuned.
    • Vargan
      Vargan
      Bronze
      Hey matt1234.

I dont know razz, but I think it ruined your bankroll. I doubt that you lost $90 on NL10SSS. Thats 45BI, so I'm gonna blame it on razz.

Be hard on yourself with BR. Whatever magic you think you can do to climb the limits faster, and increase your BR faster will not happen. Increasing tables is one of those tricks that wont help you before you know how to handle it properly.

Find your limit, find your game, and focus on beating that game on that limit. No shortcuts. :)
    • matt1234
      matt1234
      Bronze
      Yeah I realise that. Razz needs to have a bigger BR because the variance is bigger, so I know I have to hit around $300/350 before I can really start playing it. It's a guilty pleasure that I should ignore. Perhaps I'll play an MTT in it then I get my fix and its cheap.

I am beating the limit over 3k hands at NL10 on FTP, around +8BB/100 atm, but I find it hard to concentrate all of that time. The beauty of SSS is you can MT quite a lot because the strategy is very set and even 5/6 tabling you are really only playing 1 table at a time. If it was above NL10 I wouldn't play more than 3 tables because the standard is significantly higher. NL10 is really quite weak :)

How are your poker ventures treating you?
    • matt1234
      matt1234
      Bronze
      Just finished 23rd out of 300 in a SH $2.20 MTT for $8 and 8th/160 in a HU Shootout event for $16. Quite a nice boost. BR now $39.98 and I can play NL10 much more comfortably again.