Destination - the top

• faz182
      faz182
      Bronze
      Kk was a bit ambitious to start with so complete revision.
      I wont be depositing just yet as I received my rakeback.

Starting BR then - $9.02

Immediate Goals

$1 sngs until i hit $67.5
  • 14 replies
    • lilprincess
      lilprincess
      Bronze
      heh, I wish you good luck but you're certainly doing it wrong. You should try to beat every limit one by one. This is discipline.
    • faz182
      faz182
      Bronze
      I hear you bro. But i know that playing at $1 limit it is very hard for me to maintain my discipline. It will be much easier to maintain at $10 level, as to break discipline in the same way i would have to play like $100 game, which is just not going to happen.

By starting at a higher level, there is a bigger incentive for me to stick to bankroll management, an incentive which is not there for me at lower limits. And its not a case of taking a shot, as Im still gonna be playing in the 30 buy-ins limit.
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Hi faz182,

I mean no offence by this, but...

What makes you believe that you can go from being a loosing player, to +$20k in one year?

Making such goals is pretty bad. IMO, your goals should be to play good, long term winning poker. A loosing player with a goal to win $20k is quite ridiculous.

Good to see you are starting a blog!
      Stiev
    • kukkiwonBG
      kukkiwonBG
      Bronze
      and when you go to 22's and have a bad downswing and go back to 10's you will lack discipline again.
      Get real and start grinding....
      Bad discipline and Fearlessness will not get you to the promised land.

I wish you good luck and I hope you will get to 20k and more for the next Xmas.

Best regards,
      kukkiwonBG
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      Wow you sure are ambitious :D

Your goal might be reachable... I just really dont like money goals tbh :)
      Play alot, work on your game every day and grind through the limits. I strongly feel it's the way to longterm succes.

GL, hope to see you on the SNG sample hands forum :)
    • faz182
      faz182
      Bronze
      No offence taken sir. I appreciate all comments.

In reply -

1. My main problem has been my bankroll management, not my poker. For instance, when i deposied my $50, i blew about 30 playing cash games - which i know are not my strong point. I then manged to get back upto $60 playing $1 sngs, before being silly and playing a number of sngs way above my bankroll limits. Therefore i do not consider myself to be a losing player - i consider myself a player who needs to exercise discipline.

I have a solid tag sng game and recently i have been immersing myself in ICM and have mastered it to the point of being able to make snap correct decisions in simulations.

2. My goal IS to play solid long term winning poker. It just so happens that I believe if i do that then i can make 20k in a year.

3. What makes me believe that I can do it? Heart.

I fully expected these kind of comments when i decided to make this blog. The fact is, they are completely accurate comments.

I believe that by following proper bankroll management and continuing to improve my game I can and will make this a reality. As i say, my goal for january is to build my 400 into 720.

For any other ppl who want to tell me that this is ridiculous, save your breath - i already know its ridiculous. That is why it will be SWEEEEEEET when i do it. Im a dreamer but im not quite an idiot. I will post again at the end of jan to report my progress - i hope to inspire many ppl.

Peace out xx
    • faz182
      faz182
      Bronze
      Ok its been an emotional poker day.

Had my $9 approx. bankroll from my rakeback.

Played a few $1 sngs and got unlucky in a few, played badly in the rest, and to cut a long story short ended up with less than a dollar.

Distraught, i searched full tilt in vain for a tournament to enter with my meagre amount, and i finally stumbled upon a 50c + 10c rebuy sattelite to a sunday tournament.

I registered with much trepidation, knowing i could afford neither rebuy nor addon. With this in mind, my goal was to play ultra-tight. Aside from a couple of blind steals, i didnt play a hand until the rebuy period was over. I had about 1600 chips at this point, way below average, but the players had settled down after the rebuy stage and now i could work my magic.

I got very lucky on one occasion. With about 25 players left (122 started), i had 88 in bb and sb raised so i shoved (i had about 8000 which was about 7 bb). He called me with KK but i hit my eight on the flop. Bingo!!

Pretty standard tourney otherwise, tag style play. Very edgy on the bubble though, as six paid entry. About 4 short stacks, myself included, praying the others would bust. It was my day, though, as the big stacks QQ held against AJ to see me in the money.

What made me very happy was that i managed come top 6 in a field of 122, without rebuying or adding on. (there were about 140 rebuys and 35 addons in total).

So i cashed out my tournament dollars and my new bankroll is $20.97.

I think i release another $5 bonus any time now as well.

So yeah, good day for me. As for you guys, good luck at the tables, have fun and prosper!

Peace out.
      xx

edit -
      PS found a great program for tracking your results:

http://www.pokerscore.co.uk

Its free, its much easier and better looking than fiddling about with spreadsheets, and it creates graphs of things like profit and ROI.
      x
    • faz182
      faz182
      Bronze
      Now up to $80!! Woop!

Just played a $2 rebuy. Finished 7th for about $75.

Probably should have finished higher. Was only in 1 coin flip situation and that was my last hand. 44 vs A 10. 4's didnt hold.

WORST BEAT EVER
      Down to final 2 tables. Wake up with KK in the small blind. Button pushes with K2!! When i saw his hand I was already counting my money as im 94%. Flop comes X22. I nearly cried. As irony would have it, the same guy knocked me out about 30 mins later.

But oh well.......
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Hi faz182,

Just keep in mind that you need a $600 roll to play a $2 rebuy. I would stick to SnG's with your current roll.

GL,
      Stiev
    • faz182
      faz182
      Bronze
      Originally posted by cannell555
      Hi faz182,

Just keep in mind that you need a $600 roll to play a $2 rebuy. I would stick to SnG's with your current roll.

GL,
      Stiev
      Hi Stiev. Thanks. I had no idea of that. Wats the rule? Is it 300 buyins for rebuys? And wat about for normal MTTs? Thanks.

Yeah I am currently just playing $2 sngs 9 man and 18 man
    • Grimzor
      Grimzor
      Bronze
      I would say 100BI for tourneys is ok BRM.

For rebuy tourneys its more because its not advised to spend just one buyin there. I have read that if you play rebuy then you have to expect to spend like 10x buyin. I think it like this: 3x buyin is absolute minimum because if you do it serious you have to double buy in, and take addon. 5 is ok - if you stack off to someone once during rebuy period. And 7 buyins could be if you stack off twice. It is in very unlucky case and by that time blinds usually will be so high that there is no point in rebuying. If you dont feel comfortable paying like 5-7 buyins when playing rebuy then better just dont.
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      As Grimzor says, a 100 BI rule is best.

For rebuys most seem to play with a 300BI rule. Although I'm not a rebuy tourney player, I would suggest maybe 400-500 buyins. Its a hell of alot, which is why I prefer to just play normal, higher buyin MTT's.
    • faz182
      faz182
      Bronze
      KK cool. Although I find that the value in rebuys comes if you are able to do well without rebuying much, you can find urself competing for a larger prize pool with a proportionally smaller buyin.

I will stick to the limits you have said though.

Anyway, today I started some NL10 SSS as my bankroll just about allowed it. It was my first serious time in the ring games and it didnt go too well. After my first session - 513 hands I'm down $2.10.

Not too bad I suppose. Was doing ok but took a couple of hits towards the end of the session. Was six-tabling, just enough for me to not get bored. I followed the SSS to a tee and didnt break discipline, so at least I have that to be pleased with.

Heres 3 notable hands which i would say affected the session:

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $2.00
      CO:
      $10.10

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.65 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with A:heart: , K:heart:
      4 folds, CO raises to $0.45, BU folds, Hero raises to $2.00 (All-In), BB folds, CO calls $1.55.

Flop: ($4.10) J:heart: , 9:spade: , K:club:
      Turn: ($4.10) 8:spade:
      River: ($4.10) T:heart: (1 players)

Final Pot: $4.10

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of kings (Ah Kh)
      CO shows a straight, ace high (Ac Qc)

CO wins with a straight, ace high (Ac Qc)

Ouch. Surely AK will hold next time, right?

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      MP1:
      $2.05
      Hero:
      $1.95

0.05/0.1 Pot-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.65 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K:heart: , A:club:
      UTG2 folds, MP1 raises to $0.20, MP2 folds, Hero raises to $0.75, 4 folds, MP1 raises to $2.05 (All-In), Hero calls $1.20 (All-In), MP1 gets uncalled bet back.

Flop: ($3.95) 6:spade: , 7:diamond: , 9:heart:
      Turn: ($3.95) 8:diamond:
      River: ($3.95) 9:club: (1 players)

Final Pot: $3.95

Hero shows a pair of nines (Kh Ac)
      MP1 shows a straight, ten high (Kc Th)

MP1 wins with a straight, ten high (Kc Th)

AK lets me down again.

And one more which I had to smile at this guys luck the way he hit the flop:

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $2.30
      BU:
      $10.75

0/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8:heart: , 8:club:
      UTG1 calls $0.10, 5 folds, BU calls $0.10, Hero raises to $0.50, UTG1 calls $0.40, BU folds.

Flop: ($1.10) 3:heart: , 2:heart: , 5:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.60, UTG1 raises to $2.90, Hero calls $1.20 (All-In), UTG1 gets uncalled bet back.

Turn: ($4.70) 9:club:
      River: ($4.70) T:spade: (1 players)

Final Pot: $4.70

Hero shows a pair of eights (8h 8c)
      UTG1 shows a straight, five high (Ad 4d)

UTG1 wins with a straight, five high (Ad 4d)

Oh well ill have another go tomorrow - ill update again after ive completed 5k hands.

Good luck at the tables.
    • fun101rockets
      fun101rockets
      Bronze
      Originally posted by faz182
      Ok its been an emotional poker day.

Had my $9 approx. bankroll from my rakeback.

Played a few $1 sngs and got unlucky in a few, played badly in the rest, and to cut a long story short ended up with less than a dollar.

Distraught, i searched full tilt in vain for a tournament to enter with my meagre amount, and i finally stumbled upon a 50c + 10c rebuy sattelite to a sunday tournament.

I registered with much trepidation, knowing i could afford neither rebuy nor addon. With this in mind, my goal was to play ultra-tight. Aside from a couple of blind steals, i didnt play a hand until the rebuy period was over. I had about 1600 chips at this point, way below average, but the players had settled down after the rebuy stage and now i could work my magic.

I got very lucky on one occasion. With about 25 players left (122 started), i had 88 in bb and sb raised so i shoved (i had about 8000 which was about 7 bb). He called me with KK but i hit my eight on the flop. Bingo!!

Pretty standard tourney otherwise, tag style play. Very edgy on the bubble though, as six paid entry. About 4 short stacks, myself included, praying the others would bust. It was my day, though, as the big stacks QQ held against AJ to see me in the money.

What made me very happy was that i managed come top 6 in a field of 122, without rebuying or adding on. (there were about 140 rebuys and 35 addons in total).

So i cashed out my tournament dollars and my new bankroll is $20.97.

I think i release another $5 bonus any time now as well.

So yeah, good day for me. As for you guys, good luck at the tables, have fun and prosper!

Peace out.
      xx

edit -
      PS found a great program for tracking your results:

http://www.pokerscore.co.uk

Its free, its much easier and better looking than fiddling about with spreadsheets, and it creates graphs of things like profit and ROI.
      x
      pokerscore is great