[NL2-NL10] NL10; Fear of flush

• zumda
      zumda
      Bronze
      Another hand from me after playing a bit tonight.

0.05/0.10 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with K, K
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, BU folds, SB calls $0.35, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.90) 8, 2, Q (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.40, SB calls $0.40.

Turn: ($1.70) 2 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($1.70) 3 (2 players)
      SB bets $1.62, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $3.32

At the flop I thought I could get the SB out of the pot after he checked, but after the river the SB possibly hit the flush and I left the game. I guess I will never know if he bluffed or not, but before that, what should I have played differently?
  • 7 replies
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Huh, you basically gave him the money in this hand... :(

Preflop was good, on the flop you have an overpair, a made hand, and you should bet for the value and protection, so bet 2/3(0.60) of the pot, that's usually a good bet size.

On the turn I don't know why you checked behind? You still have a made hand and since board is double suited you should definately bet here for protection and value as well. Since I don't see your stack size I presume you have 1.20$ left and that's less than potsize, so you should push directly all-in.

When you have a made hand according to the articles, don't be affraid to bet and to go all-in and also don't be passive by checking and giving your opponents free cards, but bet bet bet instead.

P.S.: When you bet, never bet less than 1/2 of the pot. Ordinary bets are 1/2-2/3 of the potsize. 1/2 on dry boards and 2/3 on the drawy boards, which is the case here.
    • zumda
      zumda
      Bronze
      What is a dry and a drawy board? Is a dry board a board without cards that could lead to anything, and a drawy board a board with cards that could give for example a flush or a straight?

I thought there was something wrong with this hand, but I couldn't point my finger on it. Thanks for the help!
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      If you always include stacksizes in your post then you will ordinarily receive better advice.

When you flop an overpair with SSS it is generally a very good idea to put all your chips in the pot at some point without making too much of an overbet (a bet > potsize). If you do this before the river then you are more likely to get called by draws.

As played your hand looks far weaker than it actually is which will induce certain player types to bluff the river. It is also relatively unlikely villain is holding a flush here since since the only :diamond: :diamond: type hands likely to call your flop bet are Q :diamond: , x :diamond: . If you call the river (and i would here) you will sometimes see two :club: 's,TJ,J9,Qx, TT etc.. Sometimes villain has you crushed but it is good play to go broke with the SSS in general when you hold an overpair since the occasional loss will be very well compensated by all the times that you are in fact ahead. When the loose villains call your PF raise with a wide variety of hands they are just too unlikely to outdraw you to make going broke worth worrying about.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Originally posted by zumda
      What is a dry and a drawy board?
      A drawy board is a board that allows possibility of draws, for example if there are two card of same suit(like on this flop there are :club: :club:) then it's possible someone is holding two cards of the same suit(x :club: x :club:) in his hand. Or for example there are connected cards, then there's a possibility someone is holding OESD. And dry board is the opposite of the drawy. :)

I hope I made that clearer for you.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      preflop: ok
      flop: bet more
      turn: bet-gobroke
      river: laugh when he shows 44 or 85 and take the money
    • zumda
      zumda
      Bronze
      Thanks for all the advise! That really helped.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hello Zumda,

Originally posted by alejandrosh
      preflop: ok
      flop: bet more
      turn: bet-gobroke
      river: laugh when he shows 44 or 85 and take the money
      This explains it in x lines :)
      If you need any explanations, feel free to hit the reply button

Best regards,