My road to kill weakness

• zbiqu23
      zbiqu23
      Bronze
      Why?
      I was planning to create blog since i watched "champions stand up one more time than the rest". However i was always finding excuses not to do so. Today I wanted to make it happen through baby steps, firstly start an offline log, write there few weeks and then transform it to a real, online blog. Fortunately i watched "champions..." (for 4th or 5th time) and decided to go off the deep end.

What?
      I'll be writing about my journey to high stakes heads up hyper turbos. I begin on the bottom - micro stakes are my battle area for the moment. I played almost 2500 at 1,5$ with 3% roi and now i'm playing 3,5$ (>2000) with -1,8% roi.
      I think my technical skills are enough to have positive roi on 3,5 but my mindset is poor, very poor. I red Mental game of poker i did all exercises but improvement was small. Now my goal is to read it again and retake all exercises.
      Also, I will be posting notes about my trainings. In beginning of the 2015 i joined thai boxing club. Unfortunately i injured my leg after two months. But trainings were very exiting so i came back at the end of September when my leg fully recovered. I also train in a gym on my own (1-2/week) and work physically (1-2 /week)

Goals:

Long-term (1 year: oct 2015-oct 2016)
      1. I have mindset, technical skill and bankroll to play hu hyper turbo 500$
      2 .I constantly work +55h/week (I’ll work hard to achieve it faster than within year)
      3. get coachings
      Mid-term (~3 months 14oct2015-1 feb2016)
      1. I work +40h/week
      2. I play 15 hu hyper turbo
      3. I improved my approach to downswing - my volume and quality of game doesn’t drop
      4. reach gold status
      5. achive 1200 on william hill
      6. buy video course
      7. post here every day (till 24.12)
      Short-term (1 month 14oct2015-14nov2015)
      1. I work at least 30h/week
      2. I improved my concentration during game → my huge leak
      3. re-read Mental game of poker with exercises
      4. create startup routine
      5. significantly improve non-showdown winnings
      6. post here every day
      7. evaluate achieving goals posted above at 14nov.

Oh and english is my second language so if you’ll see any mistake feel free to point it out.
  • 35 replies
    • zbiqu23
      zbiqu23
      Bronze
      Day 2:
      As i wrote, i have problems with mindset and hu hypers expose every weakness in it. For starters I tilt much too easy, and when it happens i tend to quit session. That is good only because I won't loose much money in one day but disadvantages are fare worse. My volume is very low and I don't have chance sharpen my mindset. So important goal is to find why i'm tilting and deal with. Fast.
      I think i'll start posting my daily volume, and volume goals to make myslef accountable.
      Fortunatelly trainings are going better. Despite the fact i'm still ill i trained yeasterday (at home) :
      back squat 3x5x65kg
      incline bench press 3x5x60kg
      Kettlebell swing (16kg) 3x15
      Kettlebell clean&press (16kg) 3x5 (5left 5 right)
      Leg thrust 3x15
      Today is rest day
    • zbiqu23
      zbiqu23
      Bronze
      Day 3
      Bad day for me. I'm still ill and don't have enough sleep so i was feeling numb all day and didn't reach my goals.
    • zbiqu23
      zbiqu23
      Bronze
      Day 4
      Free day, so nothing poker-oriented to write about. I like watching premier league, and Saturday was very ample in matches. My Manchester finally defeated Everton, Rooney finally scored. If someone like Premier league i suggest watching " Match of the Day". Awesome tv show where are highlights of all matches followed by brief analysis by former football stars like Shearer, Gary Neville etc.
      Plans for Sunday:
      1. 6 hours of work ( 5 hour grind)
      2. training
    • zbiqu23
      zbiqu23
      Bronze
      Day 5
      First things first - achievement of goals posted in Saturday:

1. 6 hours of work (totally) done
        2. 5 hours of grind failed
        3. training done - kettlebell routine from fitness blender - very cool website. Hundreds of various training routines in video form

I spent most time studding mental game of poker ( chapters 1-3 complete and part of chapter 4) . A lot of things i remembered but there were few aha-moments so it was totally worth it.
      Reason for failure in grinding is tilt. Obviously:why: It seems i have problems with accumulated emotions caused by my bad approach to recent downswing. I focus to much on things i cannot control like bad beats, variation and not pay enough attention to thought process and decision making which are essential.

Goals for next week 19-25. 10
        1. 2 x thai box
        2. 2x physical training
        3. 30h spend on poker
        4. hand analisis 3h
        5. Finish chapter 4 of mental game and complete chapter 5 - tilt section
        6. Focus on thought process and decision making
    • zbiqu23
      zbiqu23
      Bronze
      Day 6
      Nothing special to write about. Summing up same shit different day. I have to write though, even such short note, because that's my goal for 90 days. I did training in the afternoon, then had big meal and as result i was to tired to work in the evening. Definitielly it's something to work on.
    • zbiqu23
      zbiqu23
      Bronze
      Days 7.

Finally got back to muay thai. It was only one week break but for newbie like me it was like eternity. It seems like, comparing to dating, i'm in firsts stage - romance. Before trainings i feel mixture of anxiety and arousal and after an endorphin rush.
      But as people say, there are no roses without manure. This is my "hand of the day". In the second of making that call I knew i'm in deep shit. It was nth match with same opponen't, i was loosing and frutruation came up. Anyway here it is.

[converted_hand][hand_history]IPoker, $1.90 Buy-in (15/30 blinds) No Limit Hold'em Tournament, 2 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: 600 (20 bb)
      Hero (SB): 400 (13.3 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8:spade: 6:club:
      Hero completes, BB checks

Flop: (60) 2:heart: 8:diamond: 5:heart: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets 35, BB calls 35

Turn: (130) J:diamond: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets 65, BB raises to 535 and is all-in, Hero calls 270 and is all-in

River: (800) 3:heart: (2 players, 2 are all-in)

Results: 800 pot
      Final Board: 2:heart: 8:diamond: 5:heart: J:diamond: 3:heart:
      BB showed 5:diamond: J:spade: and won 800 (400 net)
      Hero mucked 8:spade: 6:club: and lost (-400 net)
      [/hand_history][/converted_hand]
    • zbiqu23
      zbiqu23
      Bronze
      On Wednesday i wasn't doing nothing poker-related, i was working physically all day.
      Yesterday i played best session for month or more. I was finally focused, thinking and not acting automatically.
      Also i have been working on 3 things:

1. Mental hand history for lack of motivation - Done
        2. Designing the warm-up routine Done
        3. Strategic reminder - all factors which are to be considered before making decision in the process

Unfortunately i didn't go to training, my muscles were very sore after working all previous day. i'm considering buying bcca to
      boost regeneration. Right now i'm using only whey protein.
      O and i received as a gift smth like this:
      This is so painfull but so amazing. During working out i feel my core muscels
      better then in any other exercise.
    • zbiqu23
      zbiqu23
      Bronze
      Day 1/90
      I fucked.

Goals for next week 19-25. 10
        FAILED1. 2 x thai box
        FAILED2. 2x physical training
        FAILED3. 30h spend on poker
        FAILED4. hand analysis 3h
        FAILED5. Finish chapter 4 of mental game and complete chapter 5 - tilt section
        FAILED6. Focus on thought process and decision making

And like crap cherry on top of crap cake i didn't post anything in Saturday and Sunday.
    • zbiqu23
      zbiqu23
      Bronze
      well as i said i failed reaching goals in last week but i'm far for giving up. Same goals for this week and this time the job will be done.
      So:

1. spend 30h on poker
        2. go to muay thai twice
        3. do physical training twice
        4. analize hands 3hours
        5. Focus on thought process and decision making
        6. write on this blog every day
        7. loose 1cm in waist

Mindset part:
      The most important information i gained from chapter tilt of mental game of poker is that first step to beat it is to find out why you are tilting. It sounded as such an easy task. Why you are angry? So simple question, isn't it? Well as it turns out ( maybe only for me) the answer isn't quite obvious. So during this week i'll concentrate mainly on answering that question.
      Training part:
      I trained muay thai. When i came home hungry as hell, it turned out my fridge is empty, so i went to shop some crap/fast food. In the middle of doing so, I thought " wtf you are doing? you're plan is to become fit" and i bought canned tuna, multi-grain rolls and and kefir. So it's a win for me:f_biggrin:
      In Monday i checked my measurements and it's 97 cm in waist and 87 kg. So 7th goal for this week is to loose 1 cm.
    • zbiqu23
      zbiqu23
      Bronze
      Day 1/90
      I had a break from poker for two weeks, that's why no new things were posted. Now I'm back. And since i made myself promise to write every day for 90 days i have to start counting again. Nothing changed i want to achieve same things. For this week:

9-15 november
        1. spend 30 hours on poker
        2. go to muay thai twice
        3. do physical training twice
        4. analyze hands for 3 hours
        5. focus on thought process and decision making
        6. write on blog every day
        7. loose 1cm in waist
        8. read half hour a day

There are ~7 weeks to new year and i decided to try new training program i found on some trainig site. It's for two days in week.
    • zbiqu23
      zbiqu23
      Bronze
      Day 2/90
      I've almost forget to write today. I have to put memo or smth on my wall/ home screen because next time it might not be almost . Pretty usual day, I'm a bit upset that i didn't make training A ( i gone for a walk instead) but it's already scheduled for Wednesday so no harm done.
      As for poker i played a bit with very positive results. I caught a very weak and/or tilted opponent and won few matches. That sad part is i didn't feel good about it. I felt nothing really and that's not a good prognostic. I believe it happened because of my many layers of frustration and not believing in achieving success in poker. But the topic is so vast i'll write about it in separate post. ( important thing though making two weeks break from poker didn't help at all )
      The good part is I'm almost done with tilt section of mental game of poker and i'll finish fear section as well.
    • zbiqu23
      zbiqu23
      Bronze
      Day 3/90
      Tuesday.
      I went to mt training after break (2weeks) and it was so awesome. I have to keep it regular to not to fall behind the group.
      Also I observed that after waking i tend to waste a lot of time before i start working. I lay down on bed surf on internet read news or watch videos. Some kind of morning routine would be useful preferably containing physical activity
    • zbiqu23
      zbiqu23
      Bronze
      Day 4/90
      Major part of my work was grinding mindset. Specifically chapter motivation. In the beginning there is written that if one have problems with motivation it might be because of improper goals or problems with energy. There is also possibility that lack of motivation is just a symptom of underlying problems (like having no confidence, quitting sooner because of tilt etc.). So basically to solve motivation problem you have to answer why you lack of it in first place.

I did training A for the first time with really small load just to learn the proper technique. And in the next day i can barely move. Strength is coming :f_biggrin:
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Hi zbiqu23 ,

Great start to your blog and will be following. Am doing the same in a 30 days to make a habit plan.
      Although I am not doing as much exercise yet. Soon and look forward to reading about your progress.
      :gl:
    • zbiqu23
      zbiqu23
      Bronze
      hi metalmonkey80 thanks for your post and good luck to you too. I saw this guide you mention some time ago but i didn't read it. As soon as i'll finish with mental game i give it a try.
      Day 5/90
      I didn't forget to write yesterday, my post wasn't uploaded for some reason. Anyway my volume increased a bit i hope progress will continue. Now have to put my focus on game analysis to meet 3 hours goal.
      Day 6/90
      I don't have to write anything about Saturday. It was completely free day so i could regenerate for next week. And today i'm abot to do last training for this week. I can't wait to see my strength progress.
    • zbiqu23
      zbiqu23
      Bronze
      Day 7/90
      Ok time to sum up last week. The goals I set for myself:

9-15 november
        failed 1. spend 30 hours on poker
        done 2. go to muay thai twice
        done 3. do physical training twice
        failed 4. analyze hands for 3 hours
        done 5. focus on thought process and decision making
        done 6. write on blog every day
        done 7. loose 1cm in waist
        failed 8. read half hour a day

Well it's good that i achieved more than i failed but primary objective for this blog was to help me work harder on poker and that goal was failed. I'm not happy.
      For this week I'll post more process oriented goals to help me achieve this 30h of work. So:

16-22 November
        1. Read articles about session review
        2. review all notes i made from videos/artickles
        3. session review for 3,5 hours
        4. post 7 most troubling hands
        5. Read how to use icmizer
        6. work 10 minutes a day on analyzing hands in icmizer
        7. Spend totally 30 hours on poker
        8. Go to muay thai twice
        9. Do physical training twice
        10. loose 1 cm waist (to 96cm)
        11. Read for half an hour
    • zbiqu23
      zbiqu23
      Bronze
      Day 8/90
      Monday was very good. A lot of work done. Volume is still rising and I did hh review for 45 minutes. I finally get slightly familiar with icmizer, it's indeed powerful stuff. Mostly i focused whether it's profitable or not to 3bet shove vs aggressive minraising range below 15bbs. That's my one of the weakest spots. Here is an example

iPoker - €1.90+€0.10|<> NL (2 max) - Holdem - 2 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: 400 (VPIP: 69.23, PFR: 59.86, 3Bet Preflop: 31.03, Hands: 194)
      Hero (BB): 600

SB posts SB 15, Hero posts BB 30

Pre Flop: (pot: 45) Hero has 4:diamond: 7:diamond:

SB raises to 60, Hero calls 30

Flop: (120, 2 players) 9:heart: 3:spade: Q:spade:
      Hero checks, SB bets 75, fold

SB wins 195

Step 1: assign mr range and 3bs calling range
      mr range 44+,A2+,K2+,Q2+,J2s+,J3o+,T3s+,T6o+,95s+,97o+,85s+,76s,65s → 65,01%
      3bs calling range 44+,A2+,K7s+,KTo+,QTs+ → 24,59%

Step 2: what happens when I fold
      I loose t30
      Step 3: what happens when I 3bs and villain folds
      I win t90 - how often would that happen? 3bscalling range/mr range = 37,8% - thats how often he calls, so he folds 62,2%. t90*0,622=t55,98 - that’s how much i earn when he folds.
      Step 4: what happens when i 3bs and sb calls
      now i use equilab to callculate my equity vs his calling range and it’s 35,17% . The pot will be 800 chips.
      800*0,3517= 281,36 - that’s how much t$ “belong” to me so 281,36 - 370 = - 88,64 - that’s how much i loose on each call.
      -88,64*37,8%= -33,51
      Step 5: compare all options
      So all in all i’m plus ~t22 when i decide to shove compared to -t30 when i decide to fold

The calculations aren’t my idea if you want to check the source it’s here:
      http://pl.pokerstrategy.com/video/23214/ (only polish)

Now when i compare my calculations with icmizer it’s same:)
      Interestingly with him calling ~25% of his mr range there is literally no hand that is profitable to fold. Every hand has t$ >0 (compared to -t30 when i fold). But what if i made mistake and villain would call wider?
      Well when he calls :
      Opponent range: (45.1%) 44+,A2+,K2+,Q2s+,Q6o+,J7s+,J9o+,T8s+,98s
      Hero Ev Difference: -t27.2
      So he would have to extend his range by 20% to make the 3bs unprofitable.

Ok and one thing to remember I'm still todler in such calculations and icmizer so don't treat it as truth and only the truth:)
    • zbiqu23
      zbiqu23
      Bronze
      Day 9/90
      10% completed:f_thumbsup: Beginning of the week is best in month or so. Session analysis done, icmzier and reading as well. Volume not as good as in Monday but i'll try to work on it.
      I wrote about but i'll do it again. I have problem with being productive in the morning . If i don't need to be somewhere/work i tend to lay in bed and waste a lot of time before i start working. Same thing happened today. I often have problems with sleep and/or have sore muscles from training and i use these two as an excuse not to move my lazy ass.
    • zbiqu23
      zbiqu23
      Bronze
      day 10/90
      All right, progress continues. I started reviewing all my notes i made wile watching videos. I caught myself several times not remembering at all what I've written. And i didn't even made through half of them! All this knowledge i take for granted and truth is that without repetition it means nothing.

First training in the week done. I decided i will be adding 2,5 kg every week to each excercise till i'll reach plateau and then i'll take 2 steps back. I took that idea from crossfitfootball.com. Very cool training site. The wods are posted almost everyday and each consist of single weightlifting exercise and conditioning part. I was doing it for moth or so but then i joined mt and couldn't mix these two.