AQ vs 3bet, 6max zoom strategy says to 4bet/ fold?

• Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      Hi All,

I currently play NL25 6max zoom on Stars. Reading the strategy article it suggests 4bet/ folding AQo. I was hoping to get some more insight into the logic behind this. I don't use a HUD as I only ever play on the Stars app. My main question is why are we 4betting here? What makes it +EV?

Are we betting as a bluff with blockers? Admittly AQ is tricky to play post flop, even if you hit a pair, it's a way ahead / way behind situation which can be hard to get value from your ahead. Could it even be justified to just fold AQo in early position to a 3bet, even IP?

Thanks in advance,
      Alex.
  • 6 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      position? If it's strong enough to call it should be called and not used as a 4bet bluff. It might be too weak to call in UTG vs other positions, though if your opponent is that tight it's often better just to not 4b bluff at all
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      It was UTG, I'll be gold when my points from today update so can check out the rest of the ranges.

Thanks for your insight. I guess I'm not entirely sure when it's strong enough to call.
    • Saren113
      Saren113
      Bronze
      So if I get this right, shall we use our entire bottom of or calling range as 4 bet bluffs oop instead of calling them, or should we have some type of balance?
    • DieRich
      DieRich
      Gold
      any news on this ? *bump
    • iSoOwnYou
      iSoOwnYou
      Bronze
      if you're UTG and getting 3bet from anyone that doesnt have very high 3bet stats (vs UTG, not amalgamated 3bet stats very important!) then fold.
      If you're getting 3bet from the blinds and your in MP+ call every time. If you're getting 3bet from Button/CO and you're in MP. Situational and player dependent, but a call most of the time i'd say. I'd never 4bet with AQ you're turning it into a bluff, and polarizing our opponents continuing range, we want to keep the weaker aces and queens in there, and also allow them to continue with their bluffs if they are so inclined post-flop...
    • DieRich
      DieRich
      Gold
      Hey isoownyou,

Thanks aton for taking the time to write such a detailed answer, makes perfect sense!

Best