Fighting through the micros

• JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      Alright, so a quick backstory of why I decided to start a challenge in here.

After a few months away from poker I recently signed in to Stars and FTP where I found out that I had some promo money, so decided to run it up from there, but it didn't really go as planned and I busted my 5$ rolls on both sites and sadly I fell in to the marketing scheme and deposited 30$ to stars, but I just can't seem to catch a break and still losing a bit since then. Although I like to think I have been running rather bad I know that my play have been far from where I want it to be, so I figured I would open a thread in here to document my progress and maybe get some shared knowledge along the way. :f_smile:

So what is the challenge here?

Well, I could give you a long backstory, but long story short I burned out from poker and took a break, now I'm at a better place and want to get back into poker. Before the break I was debatably crushing NL5 and NL10 at FTP and about to move up to NL25 while working hard on my game. In the meantime FTP has turned to shit and I have forgotten the details of what I did in the lab, so now I'm back as a fish at NL2 at stars, but I'm ready to turn the sails and get back to where I was and hopefully beyond that. This challenge is however only planed to go on until I reach NL5, but may however continue depending on whether or not I see this having a postive effect and if anybody is reading.

I'm starting this challenge with $26,68 and a shiny chromestar on stars. :f_biggrin: I want to build my roll to $100-150 (Will decide along the way when I'm going to move up) and while doing this I will be spending a lot of time on the lab trying the learn and memorise my ranges which is what I was doing before my break.

This is really all I have for now, I will update as often as possible, from monday I will try to set some weakly goals about what I will do to reach my goal along with what I wanna do in real life to keep living as GTO as I can.

Take it sleazy and I'm out!

• 3 replies
    • JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      Just finished for the day and I'm so damn tilted, feel like I've been playing fairly decent although I have obv made some mistakes along the way, ended up losing about 3BI's over 5,5k hands running about BE in EV which is not really great either.

I took a quick look at my stats and it's pretty clear that my flop cbet is ridiculously low which seem to be the main problem, aside from that my CC 2 bet is kinda static, but the sample is too small to draw any conclusions regarding that stat. I will also be focusing on my 3b from SB tomorrow which is kinda low plus I'm folding too much to steals from that position.

Before playing today I went through some old Skype messages with Woollyy and found some really good start info in there which I brought with me to the lab where I made some PF ranges for certain situations which I'm pretty happy about, still need some work regarding that, but feel much sharper than I was yesterday, so in that area today wasn't a complete failure! :f_thumbsup:

Hopefully tommorrow will bring better results and I will be able to write a more positive update than this. It's kinda late and right on my way to bed, so gonna keep it short and end it here.

• JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      So since my last update thing have gone much smoother. I thought a bit about the strategy I was using and figured there was a couple of things which needed fixing. I have a quite loose opening ranges considering it's FR and without doing the math I think that some of those hands are just not gonna be profitable to play at NL2 due to high rake and the way the games play, so I have lowered my RFI slightly from certain positions I have also started cold calling a bit more due to a lot of pots going multiway and 3b bluffs doesn't seem to be very effective. Overall it's seems to be working quite well, still running a bit below AIEV, but overall I think I have been running somewhat decent and managed to boost my roll a bit.

Goals for the week:
      Poker goals:
      Play 15,000 hands
      Complete following pre-flop ranges:
      - Open ranges
      - 3b ranges
      - Defend v 3b ranges
      - CC ranges
      Work on BvB flop play

Life goals:
      5 x Gym sessions
      Spend time with friends

Don't have school tomorrow so plan on spending a good amount of time in the lab and put in some decent volume at the tables. My sleeping schedule is kinda messed up right now since I just had a holiday last week, so gonna try to get to sleep pretty soon so I can get up at a decent hour tomorrow and be very productive. :f_biggrin:

• JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      Been kind of a swingy day today. Started out really well, but ended up stacking off a couple times, still up 2,5BI's, so can't really complain too much. Aside from playing I went to the gym for leg day which always is fun or not... Also looked a little into my open ranges, but not really any lab work. I'm considering not looking too much into 3b ranges and defending ranges as it's very villain dependent at NL2 and I really can't make default ranges to follow in these spots. Instead I will try to look more into my calling ranges from the blinds and how to proceed on certain boards, I often find myself uncertain in these spots and they just come up so often, so it seems kinda important to take it to the lab.

Played a few micro tournaments as well, but ran really bad, so not much to say about that aside from that I will try not to play them anymore. :f_mad:

Gonna watch yesterdays episode of Gotham now and then head to bed as I need to get up really early tomorrow and go to school. I will try to make some better updates soon, but always seem to push updating to right before going to bed when I'm too tired to dig out interesting hands or long reviews of what I have been doing.