How to determine villains calling range vs a shove based on their vpip/pfr/3bet?

• 3 replies
    • SDK1987
      It depends a lot on what kind of SNG you are playing and in with phase of the SNG you are in. The video Calling and Isolating All-Ins is the only video I could find for basic members that is suitable for this.

You can also ask this question at the coaching of Collin Moshman and that’s every Wednesday evening.

• CollinMoshman
      Yes thanks SDK I'd be happy to talk about this during one of the Wednesday coachings. There isn't an easy answer to the question unfortunately, but there are definitely generalizations that can be made.
    • cartelstaking
      Where can I find information about learning this?
      Can someone tell me if there are training videos for this here on Pokerstrategy or other training sites?
      Solely based on PFR/RFI/3bet you can not be certain of their calling ranges. However these stats do give you some indications:
      - Is it a tight player~(13/10 type of player with a low 6% 3bet) ?
      He will likely overfold against your shoves, meaning you can shove wider, and open wider against him
      - Does he look like a competent player ( such as21/19 ~ 10% 3bet)?
      This will usually guide you to think he will call accordingly to shoves. FInding what you should shove against players that make theoretical +EV calls, you can use tools such as ICMizer, or just stove equity versus their range.

In addition to get more information on the 'general' calling range it can be very rewarding to look at his fold to 3bet and % opens per position. This will allow you to evaluate your fold equity, and thereby shove wider/ tighter than you normally would.
      (Without having too much information, you should rely on your default ranges, which once again can be evaluated by putting some push/call ranges in an equity tool)