SSS - Worst thing that happened to Poker?

• tytyty2121
      tytyty2121
      Bronze
      Am I the only one who thinks that all the ShortStackers are taking the excitment out of poker?

Honestly, I play BSS on NL10 on Mansion and 80% of the players are using the SSS. So there is no action. Most pots are played with only 2 players and are over as soon as somebody bets the flop.

You dont get any action unless somebody as a monster preflop and in that case there is no point in calling them because they will be allin on the flop. Unless you also hold a premier hand, there is no value to stay in the hand.

I find it very boring and disheartening because whenever you finally manage to get some players into the hand, you already know that you are behind and will need to catch something to win the pot (just forget about trying to outplay them because there are either out or allin on the flop).

I guess the SSS must be successfull because so many people are using it but IMO it is just a glorified coin-flip.

Wait for the premier hand - go all-in - pray that somebody will call you - pray some more that your hand hold up.

If you win, just get out of the table. Put your winnings aside and start again from scratch.

Where is the excitment in that? Where is the fun?

Not mentioning that most of the SSS are rat-holling and would be kicked out of a live poker game if they were doing that.

Don't get me wrong. I am not bitter because I lost some money. I am actually doing quite well. I just find it really boring.
  • 31 replies
    • apitty
      apitty
      Bronze
      it's the challenge of playing corectly
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      play shorthanded L.O.L.
    • 1seednoir1
      1seednoir1
      Bronze
      Maybe you should go at the SSS strategy articles and read the article talking about how to play against SSSers. If you don't like that style of play, then switch to Shorthanded like Jmack says
    • RavinMic
      RavinMic
      Bronze
      Take it from a sss player, its all about building a bankroll so that I can comfortably play bss without having to worry about losing it all in one session. If I play sss correctly and triple or quadruple my starting capital, then I can start playing bss, which I agree with you is much more fun and exciting than sss. But if I play bss right now and have a couple bad (lucK) sessions I'm broke, then what do I do? So while I agree that it's not the most exciting poker, you have to agree that playing above your bankroll is quite risky and dangerous. That's the whole point to the strategy on this site. Beyond what cards to play from what postion, the most important thing to learn from this site is BRM. Chris Ferguson went from $0 to a 10k buy in by playing in freerolls and making some hard bankroll rules for himself that he never broke. So I'm sorry that we don't make the game more exciting for you, but if we all busted out with bss there wouldn't be much of a game.
    • hunt32
      hunt32
      Bronze
      The fun is in makin' monies...
    • adr0001
      adr0001
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tytyty2121
      Honestly, I play BSS on NL10 on Mansion and 80% of the players are using the SSS. So there is no action.
      In the type of game you are playing(NL10 on Mansion) not only there is no fun to play SSS, but imo it's not even profitable. If 80% of the players are using basic SSS, you can't win playing the same style. You can win if you play advanced SSS with a lot of stealing but not just basic SSS. Those tables from Mansion are too tight for basic SSS. A lot of tables have P/F <20%, even <10%.
      You can easily beat them if you steal a lot and if you don't pay off their good hands. But you want to beat players with a bigger stack. So I suggest to switch to SH. You can't ged rid of shortstackers even at SH, but at least there are loose shortstackers there.
    • Maniatrix
      Maniatrix
      Bronze
      Ipoker sucks if you want to avoid shortstacks...
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      Hi I am a shortstacker (hopefully not in the future , but whatever )

You dont get any action unless somebody as a monster preflop and in that case there is no point in calling them because they will be allin on the flop. Unless you also hold a premier hand, there is no value to stay in the hand.

You can't play a lot of hands against shortstackers, If a shortstack raises from middle position you actually have to fold AKo , because people don't do that SSS is profitable ( they reraise KJo :D )

I guess the SSS must be successfull because so many people are using it but IMO it is just a glorified coin-flip.

You are not the only one to think that way, when I started to lose every coinflip I stopped winning with the strategy, which sucks.

It's fun to make money, I also get very bored playing BSS on FR (shortstackers like me are one of the reasons), IMO BSS on SH tables it's so fun (omaha even better :D )
    • Jaime001254
      Jaime001254
      Bronze
      RE: MANSION - Worst thing that happened to Poker?
    • bkbart
      bkbart
      Bronze
      Most short stackers don't use proper strategy. I have seen many of them push or call with low pairs. You just have to pay attention to who is playing it properly. It should be easier to make money if you can Identify who plays SSS correctly since you can put them on a very narrow range especially if they are raising EP or MP. There are plenty of fish on mansion/titan all you have to do is identify them and crush them.

That being said I am having a difficult time with SSS there too but I am getting better.
    • qcjunior
      qcjunior
      Bronze
      Ty21 you should do what seednoir says.
      read the sss articles and learn how to Play sss,and read the articles on how to play Against sss'ers.
      you will have an advantage over a sss'er,in that you will know thier ranges,and how they should be playing if they are playing true sss.
      Don't enter a table with more than 3 sss'ers, and try to keep them to your right.
      if all the tables are 80% all the time,then yes maybe its time to consider shs
      lotsofluck
    • Corrupted666
      Corrupted666
      Bronze
      I made a post like this in the Mansion forum, I find it pointless playing Nl10 on mansion as 90% of table are shortstacks, even on 6max tables. I dont mind playing vs 1-2 shorstacks but when u have an entire table full of them its pointless, play sng instead that way ur all even stacks :P
    • dzejkej
      dzejkej
      Bronze
      Well, playing against good SSSers sucks, but playing against good BSS player is also no the best thing :) . There are more good SSS players than BSS, because it is easier to learn and there is that much of a room for mistakes.

iPoker is definitely not the best option to play micro stakes FR games. On iPoker I'm playing SNGs and MTT from time to time at thats about it. If you want to play low stakes cash games, go to Party Poker - it is a zoo there or play SH and deep tables on FullTilt. iPoker is the worst option and there is really nothing to do about it.
    • bordzter
      bordzter
      Bronze
      SSS might be boring but the way i see it as a beginner SSS will enable you to survive a downswing. there are always people (especially in the low limits) that will call you and hit their set, sttraight or flush in the river.

if it happens to you you will find it very frustating indeed and go bust if you do not have the patience and the discipline which is what sss is actually trying to instill.

i suggest you play at other sites... i tried other sites and its fun... thay will even call your premium hands with trash... but sometimes they do hit their 2 pair or flush.... :D

thats just my 2 cents on the matter...
    • Corrupted666
      Corrupted666
      Bronze
      I see nothing wrong the the strategy at all, I dont mind playing vs1-2 shortstacks, but basically every table NL10 on mansion has 5-7 shorstacks, your lucky if even 3 ppl play BSS. It just gets frustating, would prefer more BSS thats all really.
    • Maniatrix
      Maniatrix
      Bronze
      Instead of playing shortstack strategy at the NL10 tables, why not play big stack strategy at the NL2 tables. It would be the same buyin.
    • dzejkej
      dzejkej
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Maniatrix
      Instead of playing shortstack strategy at the NL10 tables, why not play big stack strategy at the NL2 tables. It would be the same buyin.
      Because it is harder to play and your more ofthen than not less profitable?
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jaime001254
      RE: MANSION - Worst thing that happened to Poker?
      :D
    • DevilishShe
      DevilishShe
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Corrupted666
      I see nothing wrong the the strategy at all, I dont mind playing vs1-2 shortstacks, but basically every table NL10 on mansion has 5-7 shorstacks, your lucky if even 3 ppl play BSS. It just gets frustating, would prefer more BSS thats all really.
      I do not agree!! there is a big difference between people who play with a minimum buy-in and people who stick to the shortstack strategy. On Mansion there are 5-7 people on the table with a minimum buy-in that is true, but only one of them (maybe) knows and sticks to the strategy! So that are not the SSS-players that you should worry about! They call pfr with 45, (and even call the all-in c-bet on the flop like AK7r with 45... i can post the hand if you do not believe me!). they probably play minimum buy-in because they are so loose and they do not want to loose much money, probably are down a lot.

As a BSS I know u do not extract much money out of them, but you can win, cause there are 70% maniacs and calling stations on mansion NL10, 10% SSS (using the SHC) and the rest BSS or TAGs. So in the long run you want to play against theese 70%, just make sure you leave the table when you loose your AA to 75o, I can assure you that it is really frustrating, and you will loose the next hand as well! I get the feeling some of theese maniacs know what the flop or river will be sometimes!!!!!

keep smiling ;)

any enjoy the holidays