$109 tournament ticket

• Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      Hi All,

I have a $109 knockout week ticket which support said I could use on any $109 tournament (I asked as the expiry date was in over 4 years). The email is below. Will I be able to unregister for T$, or which tournament would everyone recommend to enter? Ideally I'd prefer to play a knockout tournament.

Thanks,
      Alex.

Hello Alexander,

Thank you for your email.

We are very sorry for the wrong information provided in our previous email.

We have reviewed your account once more time and can confirm that you can use your $109 Knockout Week tournament ticket in any $109 event or satellites. It expires on December 20, 2019.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us. We are glad to be of assistance.

Regards,

Tatiana
      PokerStars Support
  • 4 replies
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      Hi Alex,

You can't unregister for T$ - you'll get the same ticket back upon unregistration.

The problem is that the only two nominal $109 knockout MTTs on the schedule.

One of them that looks a fit for you is the $40K Gtd turbo progressive super-knockout that runs daily at 14:00 ET (18:00 GMT currently, then 19:00 starting Nov 1 due to the clock switch at Stars). (On Sundays, its guarantee grows to $125K and the field size grows correspondingly.)

The other is the $5K Gtd HU hyper (at 0:45 ET / 4:45 AM GMT, lol). Maybe there's a daytime version of it that isn't shown in the lobby yet, for some reason. Shrug.

As you wouldn't like to play high variance big field MTTs, just select a small regular $109 with a 4-figure guarantee that runs at a time that's convenient to you. Because it's a one-time gig, don't bother much about the expected 'ROI', what you need to do is to convert non-liquid money (ticket) into real money fast. To this extent, I tend to register late in a hyper-MTT in such cases and 'gamble', just to be done with it quickly (on average) with no significant loss of value* (as opposed to the $100, which is the rake-exempt value of the ticket) and return to the normal grind :f_biggrin:

* It might be just me because I'd spew a lot in deep stacks anyway :f_biggrin:

Note that, by the 'high variance', I mean the variance in the strict sense, the absolute one - the expected square deviation of winnings. What poker players usually mean by 'variance', though, is some kind of 'relative variance' - the absolute variance divided by the ROI, i.e. they'd argue that playing a hyper would be bad for the BR in some cases... but you don't really have care about the ROI here.

I mean, whereas in an MTT where you buy in with your own money, your hourly winrate is ROI * BI / avg_length_in_hours, here, your hourly is pretty much $100 / length and the variable that makes the most sense to tweak is the time to be spent. Plus it's comfortable when you're ITM more often than in those top-heavy 'featured tourneys' and when you don't lose much by misplaying a final table when the money on it is not so big relatively to the BI.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Any Bigger $109 is probably the best option (Sunday's)
      Also the $109 Kickoff is pretty soft too and a better time for us.

Other than that there is a few lower value $109s in the schedule.

Given the choice I'd probably go

1) PSKO
      2) Kickoff
      3) Bigger $109
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      Wow thanks for the detailed analysis Tony! I saw the PSKO $40k and liked the look of it. I wouldn't want to play a hyper as I'm pretty confident with my tournament play and want to enjoy the tournament. I wouldn't enjoy a hyper tournament as much.

Gary, you put the PSKO over the Kickoff, would you recommend that then. I've never played the kick off or bigger $109 so I don't know how soft they are. I like the PSKO because it's not as top heavy due to bounties and there's a better chance of getting some money.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      I ranked them in terms of perceived softness. I haven't played a $109 PSKO but have played the others on occasions.