This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

No cap?

• Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      Hey there.

I've been playing some 5max lately and it's going quite well. But the platform where I'm playing has something that I have not seen before.

When only 2 players are in the pot there is no cap? you can just keep raising a big bet as long as you want.

Why is this?

Cheers
  • 8 replies
    • G1lius
      G1lius
      Bronze
      You can ask yourself the same question the other way around: Why is there a cap on most sites.

It's just something different sites choose.

I've played non-cap myself, and my experience says to only go above the standard 4 bets when you got the absolute nuts.
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      The reason I asked was because I thought cap was standard. And the only time that thee is no cap is when the game is HU. Just found it a bit strange.
    • lennert9
      lennert9
      Bronze
      I know everest works this way, actually it's pretty +EV, just play as if there's a cap when you aren't holding the nuts, but keep raising when you have them.
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      That was my plan too. I was holding TT vs a maniac and he was raising me no matter what I did. My T came on turn and I stopped on the normal cap. River is K and the board is XXQTK no flush possible. So we raise some times and I decided to stop at 2X normal cap and just call. He had 89. Not even a pair :D That's gotta be +EV.

Later I had the nuts in the same situation and won an $11 pot HU in FL 0.1/0.2 :)
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      Lol. How weird is that. And 5-max ?? Never saw that before. Which site do you play at (so I know where not to go to :) ).

I guess you were like wtf?? when your first cap was raised haha :D
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      It's on ****** Poker. I got a really nice rakeback from another site and I am playing mostly there right now to try and take advantage of that. You will not believe how fishy it is. I think I have played something like 7-800 hands and so far I am up about $17 = 85BB = ~11.3BB/100.

Call this short tern variance all you want. I call it fishing.

And yeah I was pretty much going WTF!?!? the first time. But the second time when I had the nuts I was going more like OH YEAH BABY RAISE ME!!!

Cheers,
      Kimber88
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      Please don't post those things ;)

A game without a cap is pretty nice, since it's mostly you who has the nuts when more than 4 bets go in. It gives our opponents an opportunity to make big mistakes that we won't make :)
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      Sorry about that. Didn't think of it when I wrote it.

And you're right. It's really +EV for a good player who knows when to use it.