No cap?

• Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      Hey there.

I've been playing some 5max lately and it's going quite well. But the platform where I'm playing has something that I have not seen before.

When only 2 players are in the pot there is no cap? you can just keep raising a big bet as long as you want.

Why is this?

Cheers
  • 8 replies
    • G1lius
      G1lius
      Bronze
      You can ask yourself the same question the other way around: Why is there a cap on most sites.

It's just something different sites choose.

I've played non-cap myself, and my experience says to only go above the standard 4 bets when you got the absolute nuts.
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      The reason I asked was because I thought cap was standard. And the only time that thee is no cap is when the game is HU. Just found it a bit strange.
    • lennert9
      lennert9
      Bronze
      I know everest works this way, actually it's pretty +EV, just play as if there's a cap when you aren't holding the nuts, but keep raising when you have them.
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      That was my plan too. I was holding TT vs a maniac and he was raising me no matter what I did. My T came on turn and I stopped on the normal cap. River is K and the board is XXQTK no flush possible. So we raise some times and I decided to stop at 2X normal cap and just call. He had 89. Not even a pair :D That's gotta be +EV.

Later I had the nuts in the same situation and won an $11 pot HU in FL 0.1/0.2 :)
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      Lol. How weird is that. And 5-max ?? Never saw that before. Which site do you play at (so I know where not to go to :) ).

I guess you were like wtf?? when your first cap was raised haha :D
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      It's on ****** Poker. I got a really nice rakeback from another site and I am playing mostly there right now to try and take advantage of that. You will not believe how fishy it is. I think I have played something like 7-800 hands and so far I am up about $17 = 85BB = ~11.3BB/100.

Call this short tern variance all you want. I call it fishing.

And yeah I was pretty much going WTF!?!? the first time. But the second time when I had the nuts I was going more like OH YEAH BABY RAISE ME!!!

Cheers,
      Kimber88
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      Please don't post those things ;)

A game without a cap is pretty nice, since it's mostly you who has the nuts when more than 4 bets go in. It gives our opponents an opportunity to make big mistakes that we won't make :)
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      Sorry about that. Didn't think of it when I wrote it.

And you're right. It's really +EV for a good player who knows when to use it.