PT4 to HM data transfer (and vice versa)

• DaToepFa
      DaToepFa
      Bronze
      Hi there,

I just downloaded the PT4 trial version to see how I like the software. Since there is a chance that I will go with HM, I'm curious as to the extent of data transfer between the two. I read that PT4 and HM2 are essentially one company. Does this mean that I can easily transfer any configurations or my entire postgres database from one to the other? What about things that I manually altered after importing the HH (e.g. tournament results, player notes)?

Thanks in advance!
      DaToepFa
  • 7 replies
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      I also want to ask - will PT4 remove duplicates of hands when importing from HM?

I had been created smaller database for HM2 from HM1 for some reason I do not remember.

So I started to import from HM2 database because it is smaller. This had been done quickly.
      Then I am importing remaining hands from HM1 but now there will be duplicates.

I hope that it will recognize them and will not make duplicates.

Otherwise my waiting for few hours will be not good and I should stop.

I wanted to merge WITH smaller HM2 database, because I played some hands when testing HM2 so I would have all of them.
    • PokerTracker
      PokerTracker
      Gold
      @ DaToepFa

It's true we're under the same leadership now but both companies still develop and maintain their products independently.

With respect to transfers, PokerTracker4 can convert an HEM/HM2 database (whether or not you manually edit things like tournament results) into your PokerTracker4 setup but currently HEM/HM2 cannot convert a PokerTracker4 database into their setup.

In addition, while PokerTracker4 will basically import just about any kind of hand history from sites we support or those exported from something like HEM/HM2, HEM/HM2 require the hand be in the original format of the site. For example, say you import hands into PokerTracker4 from a site which uses XML such as Merge and export plain-text from PokerTracker4 - HEM/HM2 won't import it, it will only import the original XML file. This wouldn't be too much of a problem so long as you hang onto the originals, which PokerTracker4 will archive anything it auto imports to its processed folder (you can see where your processed is by clicking "Configure -> Site & Import Options -> Preferences").

As far as HUDs or other things, each tracker uses their own architecture which was developed independently of the other and to my knowledge there isn't a means for automatically converting one to the other.
    • PokerTracker
      PokerTracker
      Gold
      @ SPeedFANat1c

PokerTracker4 should not import any poker hand more than once if you're doing the imports to the same database. Hands from a particular poker site are unique in that each hand has a number which no other does and PokerTracker4 uses this to ensure it only gets added once.

So as long as you're not importing into separate databases, a hand PokerTracker4 recognizes as already being in the database will be called a duplicate and get skipped over.

I'm not sure I'm completely clear on your situation but if you're converting HM1/2 databases into PokerTracker4, what happens is that PokerTracker4 first exports all hands from the HM1/2 database then imports them into PokerTracker4. This means that as PokerTracker4 is going through the new imports it will spot and skip any that were imported during a previous conversion. But keep in mind, this can only be done when PokerTracker4 is importing into the same database, which may not necessarily be the case when doing a database conversion.

One caveat about duplicates, while PokerTracker4 won't import the same hand into the same database more than once, it still does take processing power/time to determine what shouldn't be imported. So while 'skipping' sounds like an easy/quick thing, it's not really so it's always best to avoid duplicates wherever possible. Up to a few dozen/few hundred or so isn't an issue but when it goes into the thousands that might cause PokerTracker4 to become temporarily unresponsive or create other trouble.

If you run into a problem with your conversions it's probably best to open a support ticket: https://support.pokertracker.com/support/ticket/2

Include in that a link to your PokerStrategy.com forum post or a couple details about what you're doing - we'll then be able to help plan how to complete the task with the least amount of trouble.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      Originally posted by PokerTracker
      @ SPeedFANat1c

PokerTracker4 should not import any poker hand more than once if you're doing the imports to the same database. Hands from a particular poker site are unique in that each hand has a number which no other does and PokerTracker4 uses this to ensure it only gets added once.

So as long as you're not importing into separate databases, a hand PokerTracker4 recognizes as already being in the database will be called a duplicate and get skipped over.

I'm not sure I'm completely clear on your situation but if you're converting HM1/2 databases into PokerTracker4, what happens is that PokerTracker4 first exports all hands from the HM1/2 database then imports them into PokerTracker4. This means that as PokerTracker4 is going through the new imports it will spot and skip any that were imported during a previous conversion. But keep in mind, this can only be done when PokerTracker4 is importing into the same database, which may not necessarily be the case when doing a database conversion.

One caveat about duplicates, while PokerTracker4 won't import the same hand into the same database more than once, it still does take processing power/time to determine what shouldn't be imported. So while 'skipping' sounds like an easy/quick thing, it's not really so it's always best to avoid duplicates wherever possible. Up to a few dozen/few hundred or so isn't an issue but when it goes into the thousands that might cause PokerTracker4 to become temporarily unresponsive or create other trouble.

If you run into a problem with your conversions it's probably best to open a support ticket: https://support.pokertracker.com/support/ticket/2

Include in that a link to your PokerStrategy.com forum post or a couple details about what you're doing - we'll then be able to help plan how to complete the task with the least amount of trouble.
      thanks, its been a while since I finished import, it looked also that it did not import duplicates :)
    • DaToepFa
      DaToepFa
      Bronze
      Originally posted by PokerTracker
      @ DaToepFa

It's true we're under the same leadership now but both companies still develop and maintain their products independently.

With respect to transfers, PokerTracker4 can convert an HEM/HM2 database (whether or not you manually edit things like tournament results) into your PokerTracker4 setup but currently HEM/HM2 cannot convert a PokerTracker4 database into their setup.

In addition, while PokerTracker4 will basically import just about any kind of hand history from sites we support or those exported from something like HEM/HM2, HEM/HM2 require the hand be in the original format of the site. For example, say you import hands into PokerTracker4 from a site which uses XML such as Merge and export plain-text from PokerTracker4 - HEM/HM2 won't import it, it will only import the original XML file. This wouldn't be too much of a problem so long as you hang onto the originals, which PokerTracker4 will archive anything it auto imports to its processed folder (you can see where your processed is by clicking "Configure -> Site & Import Options -> Preferences").

As far as HUDs or other things, each tracker uses their own architecture which was developed independently of the other and to my knowledge there isn't a means for automatically converting one to the other.
      Thank you so much for the detailed answer!
      One last thing that you didn't cover are player notes. Can I export/import player notes between the two?
    • PokerTracker
      PokerTracker
      Gold
      Originally posted by DaToepFa
      One last thing that you didn't cover are player notes. Can I export/import player notes between the two?
      Sorry about that. I don't know if HEM/HM2 can import notes PokerTracker4 has exported but suspect it cannot. I know PokerTracker4 cannot currently import HEM/HM2 notes although we have this down as a feature request to add.

Initially PokerTracker4 could convert HEM/HM2 notes while doing an HEM/HM2 database conversion but they subsequently changed their note format which caused PokerTracker4 to be unable to continue doing that.

Now that the two companies have common leadership, chances are things like transferability will be looked at more closely but unfortunately probably only as future products are developed.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Just curious, is it really that difficult for PT4 to have an option to spit out HH files in a format that HM2 can read?

Seems like it's a useful option and probably not that tough to implement.