Yet another thread with a question is it worth it?

• arnsaa1
      arnsaa1
      Bronze
      Hello,

I know there have been millions of threads like this before and a lot of players said that it's not worth it to go poker pro for a living. But here's the thing: I've been casually playing NL2-NL5 on PS for like 1-2 years and I really enjoyed it. I love poker. And I want to take it seriously. You ask why? Because I'm 2 years in my college (studying software engineering and not liking it at all) and I still have absolutely no clue what I am going to do after I graduate. I've been searching for my passion for a few years now and I can't find one. I am the type of person who would hate to go to a job that he doesn't like. Especially 9-5. My parents for example are different - they go to their jobs, even tho they don't like it, but they are okay with it. I'm not that type of guy.

So after all these years of looking I learned that I love sports, poker or writing music. Those are the things that I love. And I know that to make enough money for a living in these 3 fields is damn hard. But I don't know what else can I do? The thought that I can't find my "real passion" for so long is depressing me. So I thought maybe I should try and go with a poker? I mean I know that the limits I've been playing are ridicilous and I probably have no idea what it means to study a lot and put in huge volume (even tho I've read about it what it takes to be a poker pro on the net a lot), but do I really have other choice? Any advice and opinions are appreciated! Thanks.
  • 2 replies
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Hi arnsaa1,

I understand where you are coming from. Over the last few years I dabbled in poker.
      When I saw people were making money from playing poker I decided to look into it a bit more and came across this site. The wealth of information and great support from the large community here has really helped me in starting up.
      Like yourself I compose music & film, been a studio engineer, which just isn't making the money to justify the job anymore with most independent musicians able to record at home! My advise is not to be down trodden about it. The music industry is fiercely competitive and I am sure you will get a break.

What ever your skill level Poker Strategy has lots of great articles and forums to help make you make the most of your game.
      A good place to start is in the strategy section 'poker for beginners' found here
      PS also host a great video tutorial section for many different games and strategies found here
      Though out the year there are many challenges where you can win status upgrades and other prizes.
      There is also a TaF (Tell a Friend) promotion scheme which will reward you money to help build your bank roll or buy tools with!
      Many members also have there own blogs to help them track there progress and experiences, for example a good place to visit is the 'Learning to win' forum found here

I am writing a blog about poker as a business and aim next year to try for supernova. There are still lots of areas that make you money!

I hope this is of some help to you and If you need any more advise please ask.

My regards

Matt
    • hardlife66
      hardlife66
      Bronze
      Depends how much you want to make on a regular basis, you need discipline (I should know!) you need to be realistic and have a game plan and stick to it regardless