This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Story of a challenge with Micro-stakes Zoom, ocasional MTTs and Spin&Go

• samymanole
      samymanole
      Bronze
      Hello all

I am an 31 years old guy, full-time software engineer, and I have 2 kids.
      As you can imagine I am playing "recreational" poker but with some BRM and game studying.

I play poker mainly to maintain my mind sharp, and to have better decision making systems ready also in other aspects of life.
      I believe it also helps controlling emotions and analyze real-life situations better.

I do not mind winning some money out of it, I take shots at MTTs, but that is not the main goal - If I would make it primary, it would affect my game and well being, I guess.

Even if I have little time to invest in poker, I want to take all the actions required to be good at it.
      And this is my first step towards the community. I guess in any domain, eventually you need to get there - community helps getting to the next level.

I have at the moment a sample of about 50.000 hands at NL10 zoom with win-rate of 7bb/100.
      I have also about 5000 hands at NL25 - there I was up 5 buyins in a single session, until a set of coolers in the same session, which brought those down and now is a bit negative at NL25.
      I made session review - from all that downswing I could've saved probably 40 USD if I was very conservative in some decisions - the rest were clear setup hands (full house vs quads, AA vs KK - KK win :) set over set and flushes beats) the EVdiff of that session was also +70.

This is not my first time having downswings and the sample is only from this year - this is when I started playing it more seriously, plus I feel like I overcame some mental barriers.

I decided to start this thread to expose my plan and to followup on progress and situations to see if community indeed brings value.

Here it is:

Currently I have 200 usd and I could invest more (1k would be top where I would quit poker if lost), but only if I feel it is required and I am not just spewing money.
      I was very cautions before each deposit not to put back money spewed on mistakes, but deposit back only those from clear coolers.
      I also made some cash-outs in the past.
      In the previous years I had my fair share of mistakes and luck (good and bad), I played over my BR for a while I did spews, playing too long in downswings, biking some tournaments, etc - everything that you can imagine, but never gambling money that are not "fun money" - I also never intend to do that - I rather quit poker.

Now I just wanted to challenge myself to deal with this bankroll of 200;
      Tankroll BRM strategy seemed fine but I was not able to deal with some swings there - I just do not want to put myself in such stress because I see no "life +EV" out of it.

I adapted that strategy a bit, to have less impact and I want to do the following:
      Main focus is on Zoom (2 tabling):
      180 - play NL5
      200 - play NL10 (stop after 3 shots lost)
      320 - play NL16 (stop after 3 shots lost)
      450 - play NL25 (stop after 3 shots lost)

Spin&Go occasionally - considered pure luck and adopt pure Nash
      I will play occasional spin&go 0.50 stepping up in limit once I win one and stop when hit 10 or more.
      (e.g. play 0.50 win - play 1usd win - play 3 usd win, play 5 or 7 usd - if won, collect and go back - or consider playing again if multipliers were big enough to leave profit more than 10 - invest in other spin only what is above 10)

MTT
      I buy 11 usd tickets from points and I play almost only turbos because I do not have time - The Hot or Hotter usually. On weekend I might play Sunday Storm
      Also I play as many times I can the big prizes 1+Rebuy
      When I start a tournament session I do not mix with Zoom - I also take on a side few other turbos of like 2.70 knockout, 2.20 and occasionally a 4.40.
      I also try 1.65+ Sunday million satellites - I take the money not play Sunday Million (I won 4 of those in the past, I believe they can bring value).
      In some weekends I have time and I play Hot 2.20 or Saturday Splash - basically buy-ins of 2.20 with fewer bigger buy-ins, max 4.40.
      I usually do not play more than 4 MTTs at a time.

I assume that following this strategy I have chances of getting broke of less than 10% (didn't do any math, just pure assumption :) )
      Am I right? Do you think I could get to 1000 in about 50k hands?

Of course a bink will be nice anytime, that is why I take shots in tournaments - you never know...

I am looking forward to hear your opinions about my plan, I am going to update from time to time with progress and session reviews.

Cheers!
  • 2 replies
    • samymanole
      samymanole
      Bronze
      Here is also my current graph - looks decent, I know, but it is only from this year since I started doing it properly.
      You can see how in the last part the Allin EV gets above showdown with a lot :)
      Good I have the red line going pretty steady :)

And here are some numbers:

I know, they look pretty good at a glance, but can get bad really quickly as the NL25 just did :)

Looking forward to hear from you with what you think about the probability of hitting 1000 usd in 50k hands and about the fact that I have less than 10% chance of getting busted.

May the flop be with you!
    • samymanole
      samymanole
      Bronze
      I guess I added this in the wrong section.. I am moving everything to Your Poker Blogs.
      Beginner in the community.. :) What would you expect...

How can I remove this from here? A moderator maybe can help...

Thanks!