What to choose PLO or NLH

• 3 replies
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hi shonikus74,

it depends!
      What do you like more? For No Limit Cash Game you have a big competition on all Poker rooms. With Spin&Goes, Twister & Jackpots you have the opportunity to win big prizes, as well as with Tournaments. Omaha nowadays is a niche game type which comes with lots of variance but also loads of players with bad choice of starting hands.

I can give you some tips on how to start your career for certain game types- but the decision is ultimately up to you:
      No Limit Beginners Course
      MTT Beginner Coaching: Discussion and feedback thread
      Spin&Goes - from Beginner to Winner - a course with Collin Moshman
      Omaha Learning path
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Hi shonikus74, welcome to the forums!

First of all, I think the choice depends on your own level of experience. I wouldn't recommend PLO to people who are new to poker, for example, because it is a lot more difficult to learn than Hold'em, in terms of both rules and strategy. Since you've been with us for quite a while, though, I assume that you already have quite a bit of experience with poker.

One of the main differences is that in PLO, there is a lot more emphasis on postflop play. Solid preflop hand selection is important in both games, but Omaha is mostly about draws, so you need to know how to play them. This also makes PLO a much more dynamic game, which would make it interesting for many people, especially those who feel that Hold'em has become too much of a robotic grind in recent years, but it also means that it is a lot harder to multitable in this game.

I think the main disadvantage of PLO would be that the variance is much higher than in Hold'em. This can be a slight annoyance for top level grinders, but it would be a bigger problem for people who are still learning this format, because they would get less accurate feedback on their play if they focus on their results too much (which would be a mistake anyway). On the other hand, learning material on Omaha is less common than the widespread strategy advice on Hold'em, so it could be easier to get an edge on your opponents if you are willing to put the necessary effort in.

So Hold'em would probably be the better choice if you are looking for a steady climb through the limits (as steady as possible, at least) with easier decisions overall, while PLO would be your game of choice if you are looking for a dynamic and action-oriented poker experience. Obviously, both formats can be profitable if you play your cards right.
    • Janosikgdy
      Janosikgdy
      Bronze
      Go with nl.
      We dont want more regs at plo:f_drink: