A Micro-Stakes grinder's blog

• flyingspadespoker
      flyingspadespoker
      Basic
      Personal

My name is Jay and I live in The Philippines. I'm 28 years old and been married for 8 years with two kids. I'm a call center agent and you will see me playing DOTA2 in my free time. I'm also a vaper, just quit smoking two months ago.

Poker History

Been playing poker for probably 9 years. My first 6 years were casually playing live. Switched online, playing SNGs, from 45 to 6-man. Was grinding from the lowest stakes and found a little success but wasn't disciplined enough to push through. Started playing FR CG 2.5 years ago maybe. Was beating the game up to NL5. From then til now, that became my bread and butter in online poker. My approach was fairly robotic, normally 24 table while having a set of rules to play against certain players and hands. I have a decent WR 7-8 at NL2 and 4-6 at NL5, with a fairly large sample. I found out that my robotic way of playing is only good up til NL5, I got crushed at NL10, implementing the same style, though it's only for a small sample(around 30k), from then didn't have the chance to try it again.

My Goals

As everyone else, my goal is to move up and be a full time grinder. Whether what game format, I honestly still don't know. I do enjoy playing 6-Max Hypers and Spin n Go. A month ago, I even bought a video pack for 6-Max Hypers. My plan back then was to get my BR from CG and make the transition once I have it. For now, I want to focus on playing CG and will put all my attention at the said format. I'm currently playing with small BR and have to do several cashouts before I can even start moving up(personal expenses). I also decided to start working on my game if I want to past NL10. I'm planning on putting my questions here and some hands. Will be updating probably once or twice a week. This blog is to motivate my self and just to keep track of my progress as well..

I think that's it for now..
  • 6 replies
    • flyingspadespoker
      flyingspadespoker
      Basic
      Pretty rough start. I played quite behind with my monthly goals, I checked my WR and as it's less than 1 up to date(though I'm not really worried about this one tbh). Just had a break after 1.5k hands and planning to get back for 1.5k more. Will be playing a lot on my off. I've read an article about laziness and other mental issues which I think is pretty helpful. I think that's it for now, I'll be back for my weekly update.
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Hi Jay

Welcome to Poker Strategy
      Congrats on quitting smoking and welcome to the vape life style!
      I've read an article about laziness and other mental issues which I think is pretty helpful.
      I am working through a series by Schnitzelfisch you may find interesting.
      Videos with Schnitzelfisch - NEW: How to Balance Your Life in 10 Minutes a Week

What ever your skill level Poker Strategy has lots of great articles and forums to help make you make the most of your game.
      Though out the year there are many challenges where you can win status upgrades and other prizes.
      There is also a TaF (Tell a Friend) promotion scheme which will reward you money to help build your bank roll or buy tools with!
      Many members also have there own blogs to help them track there progress and experiences, for example a good place to visit is the 'Learning to win' forum found here

A good challenge to take part in is the Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge - Opt-in now!

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
      Good luck at the tables.

Regards

Matt
    • flyingspadespoker
      flyingspadespoker
      Basic
      Hey man what's up? Thanks, I'll definitely took into that.. I'm currently focusing on things that's not really poker related but can improve my winrate overall and that series might be just what I need. :f_drink: :f_drink: :f_drink:
    • Thiamtan
      Thiamtan
      Bronze
      welcome this i want to follow see how the go fore you :f_thumbsup:
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Hi Jay,

The tube mod with Mutation X V4 RDA looks like a beast of a vape. I have never been able to do any sort of smoke tricks even when I try for days! But I am interested in how you get on with it. What flavors are you vaping at the moment? My personal fav is heisensberg!
      How is your decision coming along on the type of games you wish to play? If you are looking for a good starting place my recommendation is MTT SNG. you can get use to the whole multi tabling required in grinding for a living. And do it cheaply.
      I started out on 2nl and have now moved up to FR 25nl cash.

Have a good week.

Regards

Matt
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Hello Jay.

How are you getting on in the micro-stakes?
      I thought you might be interested in reading 5-point plan: From break-even grinder to winning player

Look forward to reading a update and good luck at the tables.

Regards

Matt