A mexican for the win

• Gothicrow
      Hi everybody, my name is Mario, I'm from Mexico and I'm a pretty young boy of just 35 years old :f_drink: I'm a student of a PhD in biomedical engineering, well to be honest I'm trying to finish it now jejeje because I leave my studies for 2 and a half years (january 2012 to august 2014) when I tried something different, live from poker!! so at that time I played mainly PLO25, but to say the truth, it was hard to do a decent living playing in that stake and also it was harder because I didn't dedicate to much time to develop my game and make the best of it; so I was unable to go up in stakes and at the end I decided to return to my research at university.

Going a little bit backwards, I have contact with cards and bet money since I remember, this was because in my family we play since forever (not poker) starting with my grandmother. She taught me to win and lose, and that "las deudas de juego, son deudas de honor" that in english should be something like "the gambling debts are debts of honor", and also taught me to leave if I'm losing while I still have my clothes on, and things like that :f_thumbsup: and by 2010 I started to play poker online, at first was NLHE but after a while I realized that the "cadillac of poker" doesn't run as fast and as strong as I wanted, so I decided to learn PLO and starting to "sleep with that beautifull and indomitable beast".

The last months of the last year, I almost didn't play, mainly because I needed to cool my head and work hard in the research, but at the begining of this year I sayed to me: "Cabrón!, I miss so badly that motherfucker beast" so I started with $50 playing in PLO2 and having a very very aggressive bankroll managment consisting (in short) in making shots of 2 buy-ins at the next stake, studying what I could to improve my game and also I opened a blog in spanish http://es.pokerstrategy.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=341616&page=1 to keep me motivated and see how the things go on. To not make a very long story of this travel, here is a graph of how the things developed in general, with a lot of up and down on the stakes going from PLO2 to PLO100 (well just was 1 shoot of 200 hands and that's it jejejeje).

You can notice a few things:
      -there were very few played hands jejeje I'm shamed of it

-there is a long period of BE (from hand 37,000 to the end), this is where I was playing PLO25 and trying unsuccesfully to go up to PLO50 jejejeje, that was fun and sometimes tilting, but I stick to my rules to go up and down, and also I started to work on my mental game, I'm NOT tilt free, but I'm way better that at the beggining jejejeje.

During this time, one of the best things that I read was a phrase from Anthony Holden: "Whether he likes it or not, a man's character is stripped at the poker table; if the other players read him better than he does, he has only himself to blame. Unless he is both able an prepared to see himself as others do, flaws and all, he will be a loser in cards as in life."

To me, poker is my way, I do other things, but poker was been the way to develop myself as a better person, as a better man outside the tables and I believe that it will be with me for the rest of my life (a little poetic but who cares jejeje) and I want to develop my game and my life as hi as I can, as strong as I can, as "chingón" as I can!!, so, that's why I decided that my next step in this journey was to joining to PLO6-max program and since now I'm going to say, with my beer in my hand, to all the medium and high stakes players: I don't know when, but someday, I will play with you, cheers!!

So that's all I have to say at the moment, I wish you the best luck at the tables and in life, see you cabrones, cheers!!
  • 17 replies
    • JCSeerup
      GL! Great post, hope to see more like that!

• Gothicrow
      jajajajajajajajajajaja :f_drink:

It’s updating time

So, how do I feel been part? Until now, great!! I’m not sucking someone’s dick, but I’m happy with them because I have been able to confront myself, to dig some shit out of me, and the process is just starting.

From the beggining we need to pass an exam, based on materials that they gives to us, and then you are able to start playing, that day to me was the last tuesday and I started slowly, only playing a few hands to get the feeling of been back at the tables after all the initial process.

Then on wednesday afternoon I was ready to play, made my warm up and then, family issues…. I couldn’t play; and honestly I was mad with myself because I could start early and be able to play at least some hands but I didn’t thinking that I had the guaranteed time to play from “x” to “y” p.m., so before do it I took 2 hours to “scratch my balls”, and not in the good way if you know what I mean jejejeje, and boom! I couldn’t play because I was lazy. The life don’t give guaranties and I should know that!! jejejeje I just need to keep an eye on that and make new habits.

The next 2 days ran normally and I could give myself at least 6 hr per day to dedicate exclusively to poker, to study and play. But what happen next? I got drunk on friday’s night and the next morning I had a hangover “de NO MAMES CABRÓN!!” I mean I felt very badly. I don’t want that the God Dionysus be mad with me, so I’m not going to blame to alcohol, what happend was that I skip the hydrate process before starting to drink, so I had to eat “chilaquiles”, and 4 beers later the pain was gone, I don’t know how you treat a hangover, but that is almost infallible to cure it. NOTE: the chilaquiles are optional but the food with chili is NOT. That day I only give my opinion on some hands and review the preflop game from my database. I didn’t play, because I realized that I was on “zombie mode”

On sunday, oh my fucking God! I didn’t wanted to do anything!!, I was in “homero simpson mode” but then I remembered that “if I want it, I have to earn it” so I kicked my ass out of the bed and did the effort to do something before returning to it. So first I gave my fish opinion on some PLO hands, studied a little of the PLO material, advance on the “TILT free today” course, played some hands (just a few) and I feel good with it!!; because from zero, I could do some poker work. There is a lot of room to improve my performance, but today was a good step toward be better…. cheers!!

Now, poker results: I was debating with myself about post a week’s graph results but, I decided to do it only monthly, so not graph today. But you can see this video:

So, this week goal: dedicate at least 5 hours per day to poker, no excuses cabrón!!

See you and GET UP! Good luck.
    • Gothicrow
      Week 2

Ok, the last week was interesting, I had my first 2 coaching sessions and I saw some things that I was doing “improperly”, to said it nicely jejejeje. This is going to be a long, painful, happy, enjoyable road; like everything else, right? jejeje.

Last week I had the goal to be able to take some hours at day to dedicate exclusively to poker, I’m glad to say that I almost did it jejeje, but the days when I failed, I did my best to do it, trying to make the time, but like 2 day I couldn’t do it, I couldn’t orginize my time better, so…. but I’m starting to stop procrastinating and that, is going to help me a lot on other aspects of my life.

I haven’t grinded to much, and this is going to continue for a while because now I have access to A LOT of new material, so my approach to improve is going to be to watch a video, take notes, try to apply the new knowledge on the tables and the next day repeat with another video and so on until I finish with a certain topic, and then, I’m going to do a database review looking for mistakes on that topic and ways to improve. So, this period of my poker carrer is going to be named: “Taking out the bullshit”

That’s all for this week, see you next one and I wish you the best of luck
    • Gothicrow
      Weeks 3 & 4

Ok, this is going to be the last update of this year. This month is a little crazy jejeje with parties and all that, so I want to spend all the time that I can squeeze to finish the main PLO course and also play so, I’m not going to have time to update the blogs jejeje.

This weeks have been good, somedays I played my A game, and some days I felt the anger rush in all my body jajajajaja, but I have improve a lot managing my tilt, and the times I felt the anger and start playing poorly I was able to stop and cool my head fast to be able to return to do my best at the tables.

Off topic great news: my brother is a singer and has been fighting against everything to live his dream and now he is proggressing and keep working on doing his best in what he loves and…. “Norte 13” is now in spotify!!! Norte 13 is the name of his group and they release his first album this year, I’m so fucking happy for him, I have seen all the work and years needed to acomplish this and man, I admire him!!; it’s funny to learn a lot from your younger brother jejejeje, he inspires me to keep doing my best and fight for my poker dream…. the first time he said he wanted to sing for a living he was like 4 years old and now, wow! he is one of my heros, he still has a live in front to keep working and improving but the way he sees life makes a better world for the people around him.

Back to the topic jejeje, here is the graph of all the hands played since I started here:

The first hands are from PLO2 (when I started playing just after finish the newbie process) and then I played PLO25

This are not so many hands played, this is just the beggining and I want to play more each day, but I’m happy with this great start jejejeje.

Well, I don’t know what else to say jejeje, I just want to wish everybody a great time with your people, enjoy the live, be happy everyday and the best of luck in everything you want to accomplish!!
    • Gothicrow
      Weeks 5 & 6

Hi everyone, I hope you start the year as happy as I’m jejeje. This weeks were awsome with my family, we could party together, drink together, talk a lot, laugh a lot more (we have a bohemian style of life jejeje)…. just enjoy them makes the life more beautiful and very “chingona” jejejeje, this is my family:

Here we are celebrating the new year on a bar, it’s part of our tradition, xmas we stay in home and make our private party and then on new year we go out, this has many good sides, ex: we don’t need to wash dishes!! jejejeje.

As part of xmas presents I got an update to my workstation:

And believe me, some parts of my body are very thankful with this new chair jejejeje, the last one was made from wood and I got it when I lived on another city, the legend tells that a very old lady died sitting on that chair and was left on the room where other students lived before me and they fixed it to make it taller, then with the time, I lived in that place with others and I was the last one to live there, so I took it with me but now it’s time to try new stuff jejejeje.

Now, poker. I continued studying the material from my courses, I have to say that I have learned a lot and my game certainly has changed fast, the way John (KassinoKrime) explains the things is very clear and the work with all my group mates has made me improve a lot…. and I’m still a poker baby, so I need to keep pushing!! jejeje. In general I didn’t work as much on December, because I was busy with my NO poker life jejeje, but I’m happy with my performance in and out the tables and man, I’m also happy with the sick results having the best month on my career jejeje:

The most amaizing thing to me, are my non-SD winnings, man this line looks beautifull jejeje. The blue mark, shows the time I was playing sub-optimaly. I felt sick, and I thought it was just a flu, so everything was normal, but now I have the knowledge of how it feels to have low blood pressure, I had no idea and it never cross my mind that I had that, I just felt very bad, but when I went to the doctor, she said me: you are a little dehidrated and also have a low blood pressure….. AJA!! that’s why I feel like a little drunk all the time!! jejejejeje and 2 days later everything was normal again. So now I need to eat more properly to avoid this shit happens again jejejeje.

By the way, this graph is from PLO25 and PLO50 and there are some very nice hands missed where I won ~300 euros in 1 session, due a technical problem with HM2, but it was interesting play without any HUD and just rely on what you see on the table, it was hard to me jejeje.

Now the goals to this month are to be able to play 100 hrs (in december I played less than 60, shame on me jejeje but, “lo bailado nadie me lo quita” (nobody takes away all the fun I had….or something like that jejejeje)

Also I’m going to keep studying and working hard on my game, I need to start going to the university again but, I have 3 hours spend on public transport from home to there and return, so I’m going to use that time to study as much as I can away the computer.

And that’s it for now, thanks to all the readers and I wish you the best of luck on everything!!! Cheers cabrones!!!

SIDE NOTE: “cabrón” in mexican is a little bit different from “cabrón” in spanish; in mexican cabrón mean many things:

Cabrón: good in the stuff you do

Cabrón: mother fucker

Cabrón: when something hard and awfull happends

Cabrón: when something very good happends

Cabrón: dude

Cabrón: friend

Cabrón: enemy

Cabrón: …… well you got the idea, many many things jejejejeje.
    • Gothicrow
      Weeks 7 to 10 (January 2016)

I love poker!. Sometimes I had said that poker shows me ways to improve my game, and this month wasn’t different. In the last months I manage to separate my poker results from my personal life, so even if I have a pretty bad day at the tables, it doesn´t affect my relationships (at least not most of the time), it’s something to keep working on but I have improved a lot on it, but this month I had the challenge to separate my personal life from my game, and I failed in a way that almost all the month I was playing between my b and c-game every fucking day. Big difference on performance compared to december when I was almost every day playing in the zone.

So, this month the principal goal is to improve my c-game, because now it isn’t that horrible, but man, it is bad. To do this I’m going to start again with the fundamentals of PLO, it’s something that I would like to show up on my game even on my worst performance days.

But hey! this is only one side of the story, the “dark” side…. and I quote “dark” because many times on the dark we find the light, as in this case I founded that I need to improve my c-game and improve on managing my emotions jejejeje.

The pretty damn good thing that happened to me this month was that I meet a very lovely girl on january 5th. I went to the university to register on the phD and went to drink pulques with friends in a place nearby. (pulque = alcoholic beverage that comes from the maguey). There I met a beautiful girl with many common things with me. From the beginning I saw a good soulmate into her eyes (it sounds a little bit sissy, but it’s true jejejeje). We were joking, laughing and drinking with our friends, but I couldn’t take my eyes off her; and by the end of the day I ask her out on a date.

Man, the best first date ever on my 35 years!!, I’m not going to tell much about it because that’s one of my personal treasures and I prefer to keep it to myself, but we have been dating since then and everyday has been a beautiful new experience. I’m thankful with my past, because it had make me the person I’m now, and it has show me what kind of things are important to me in a relationship. Now this day, I can say that I feel like a teenager but with the conscience of a grown man. But this is now… because most part of the month I was just like a teenager and that’s it!!! jajajaja, that’s why my not so good game on the tables jajajajaja. Now that I have the feet on the ground, I feel that I can make real progress again in all the aspects of my life, personally and professionally. I don’t have an idea to where this relation is going to go, we are enjoying a lot from each other and learning things in the way…. or at least I’m jejejeje.

I love poker, it has taught me the importance to analyze my game to look ways to improve; and the same applies to personal life: to dig into the darkness of the mind to find the light and finally be free. Throw away obsolete parts of our thinking to leave the anchors behind, to go way ahead of any fear, to fly as high as we want.

Well… now the month graph jajajaja, I’m going to post it on BB’s because sometimes I play in euros and some in dollars, so it’s easier to show it this way:

I mostly played on just 4 tables, sometimes on 3, because I couldn’t concentrate myself… I need to learn to leave my personal life out of the tables, because business time has to be just business time, this month I’m going to improve that, how? I’m going to figure it out jejejeje.

Well that’s it for this time. I wish you all the best of luck on the tables and on life, cheers!!
    • Gothicrow
      Weeks 11 to 14 (february 2016)

Nothing to say this month, Am I happy with my performance? NO, Am I happy with my time administration? fuck NO!, Do I want to have this fucking feeling on this month that is starting? HELL NO!!! That’s it.

This is from a mix of PLO25 and PLO50. I’m starting to feel a little bit more confortable at PLO50, I used to give to much credit to the regs of that level, but the fact is that we all have a lot of leaks jajaja, so it’s just a matter of who has the less, and I’m improving, slowly, but improving.

Ok, until the next time. GL to everybody!!
    • Gothicrow
      Weeks 15 to 19 (March 2016)

Hi guys, this month was a good one, I was able to play my best most of the time, I was concentrated, and that was very hard, but I’m learning to focus only on poker while I’m playing. This was following a tip from my coach: “when your head is running on other things, force yourself to pay attention to every single detail on each hand”, and at the begining was hard; but with effort, everything can be accomplished.

I have a new respect for the players that live only from poker and have family or many personal things in their lives; they need to have a strong mind! Yesterday I was talking with a friend that I had not seen in almost 8 years, and when she asked me about my life, I tell her about poker, she was surprised, she had never known a poker player before, and after a few words she told me: “wow, I think you need to have a lot of mental dexterity to play poker profitable… and also to not play when you are drunk… or in love” jajajajaja, she is something right jajajaja. And in fact the last week I didn’t play because I was drunk from monday to sunday, is NOT something to show off, but was very useful to me to purge some demons… tons of beers, tequila, pulque, laughs, music and I feel like a newborn baby jajaja, life is easy, fuck yeah!.

About poker, this month was the FIRST month on my career that I played only PLO50, yeah!!, I feel comfortable on that stake now, thank you John!! your PLO material is pure gold, cheers! When you know how to play the game, that stake seems to be full of bad regs and recreational players… I have still many things to learn, but I’m on the right way, BOOM!!

Here the month graph:

well, I think that’s it from today… mmmm. not yet, I feel very good with today’s grind so I’m going to post the graph jejejeje

This was PLO50 zoom on 3 tables. I think this is the best day on my poker career. In results is the second best because some time ago I had a day when I won something like $1000… BUT, today I played in the zone, I was crushing everybody, making the best play most of the time, I felt like a “poker grim reaper” jajajaja, fuck man, this day is one to remember, I feel now like “king kong on cocaine” jajajaja yeah!!!

Until next time fellas, good luck in EVERYTHING you do… cheers!!
    • Gothicrow
      Weeks 20 to 23 (April 2016)

I there. I’m going to start saying that this was a special month for me. A month to focus more on how I want to live my life, and it was a hard one on the tables jejejeje, but let’s start from the beginning.

Do you remember a girl I talked about some time ago?, well that history is ended since march. I can’t talk about what happened, because I don’t understand her completely and I just would be supposing things jejeje, and is not my work to try to understand her actions, but to take the best of it; and this is: confront of fears.

The fear works to keep us alive, to alert us about danger, is something that is in our DNA since the time our predecessors had to life a tougher life than ours. But many times, it is like an anchor to keep us from things that we would like to do: start a business, fall in love, put a big profitable bluff on the river… live by our own rules.

This girl, best known to me as Casper because she cut me off her life without saying a word and she just disappeared jejeje… she remember me this song:

Well, she helped me to got over a fear to demonstrate widely my feelings with all the persons near to me, a fear that I didn’t know consciously that I had, but it was stopping me from give the best of me to people by fear to be hurt again and again jeje, and now I was punched right in the face with that fact and although I did’t took it very well at the beginning, I’m still alive and nothing bad happened, so what was I afraid of? to live?… now it seems silly jejejeje probably I avoided many good experiences by fear and this life is so short and that is time lost… but not anymore.

Another fear I have, is to live my life completely by my rules. Some time ago I used to live from poker and then, the fear that I did’t had something very stable appeared; and that’s the true reason why I returned to study a PhD, although I knew that it wouldn’t make me more happy, probably would give me the stability to satisfied my fear, to have something to rely on… but you know what? I’m not happy. I remember when I was a child that I thought “when I grow up, I’m going to do whatever I want to”… and how is that plan going now that I’m almost 36?, BAD, many times I do things to satisfy other persons, to satisfy and feed a fear, to be an acceptable person of a society, to play under the rules of other people, and… me? I’m disappointing the child that I was… but is time to cut that shit off.

So… I’m quitting the study, I’m going to concentrate only on poker… as “plan B” I have a master degree and that should be enough to rely on if the worst thing happen; and now, it’s time to do what I want to do, to live what I want to live right now… and do it by my own rules, even if a big part of the people is against that, screw them jejejeje I’m going to be the best poker player I can and work hard to accomplish it. It’s time to put my shit in order, cheers!!… well the cheers is an imaginary cheers this time, because for health issues I can’t drink alcohol for some time, at least that is what the doctor said but with the heat here, I give myself permission to drink 2 very cold beers per week jejejejeje :f_tongue:

Now, while I was struggling with my feelings, sadness, tilt and have the courage to take some life decisions, I had a bad month on the tables, winning only the 38% of my sessions jejeje, the good thing is, that I WON at least the 38% of my sessions, because honestly I was playing with a bad mindset, with a loser mindset (although at the moment I though it was just variance jajajajaja)… in fact reviewing my game I saw a raw of 5,000 hands where I had a flop turn and river cbets of: 70 something, 30 something and 0% lol, what a fuck!!! I was giving up a lot, I was playing only my cards, I had the fear that the other player always had the strongest part of his range. Other times I went all in with medium strength hands on flop or turn when it was very obvious that I was beat most of the time, or I called light on the river against the wrong type of opponents… damn I played bad bad bad and not focus on the action, not fighting to win money… “just variance” aaaaha! jajajaja.

“Cards are war in disguise of a sport” -Charles Lamb.

I just read a post by Janez about our attitude on the tables, and to make it short: Poker is about to take the best possible decisions at the table to win money, to take it from other players that also wants to take our money, it’s about to dominate and beat the other players. As my father used to said me when I was younger: in a real fight remember “de que lloren en tu casa a que lloren en la suya, pues que lloren en la suya”. Translation would be something like “instead that your family cry over you, let the other guy’s family cry over him”… something like that… and poker is war!… Now that I’m remembering his words, my father was and still is a badass cabrón, fuck yeah!

Now, the month graph:

This was playing on PLO50 mostly zoom. Now, for this month I’m going to play mostly on regular tables, because it’s easier to notice tendencies about other players to exploit, I’m going to play less hands per hour, but at the same time I will play more profitable. Also, I’m going to go back to the basics on my courses, because it’s like when you read a book, the first time you get some of the written ideas; but the second time you read it, you get a more complete perspective; so I’m starting from my preflop game. Tilt, jajaja another thing to improve, so I’m going to do the exercises from the “tilt free” course, some of it sounds crazy, but I’m starting doing it. And last, but not least, a song to stay confronting my fears and to give my best in everything no matter what… something to warm up each day and get me in the right mood to grind:

Ok, that’s it for today, as always I hope you all have good luck in life (unless you play poker against me); and make me a favor, drink all the beer that I can’t jajaja cheers!!!
    • Gothicrow
      Weeks 24 -27 (May 2016)

Well, this month was a roller coaster jejeje, as I made my first shoots at PLO100.

As usual while moving up, I tend to give the players some kind of super powers jejeje, but at the end of the day, I’ve found that PLO100 is not much tougher than PLO50, although the players seems to be more aware about ranges, and while at PLO50 I take mostly an exploitative approach even against unknowns and play very unbalance, in PLO100 I need to be more cautious balancing my ranges and it’s a very fun stake to play, it’s challenging and exciting for me and I’m happy, very happy jejejeje.

A hand that now I remember is one played against a very loose passive player, he was playing 82/2 AF 1.5 on less than 100 hands, as played by the river he had a FH or a bluff in my opinion. That was the first day I played on PLO100 and my first impressions were that players in general are a little bit more aggressive, so I decided to make a hero call that usually I wouldn’t do without some kind of read… let’s say that I was tasting the waters.

$0.50/$1 Pot Limit Omaha Cash, 5 Players

SB: $100 (100 bb)
      BB: $74.20 (74.2 bb)
      MP: $163.51 (163.5 bb)
      Hero (CO): $100 (100 bb)
      BTN: $144.58 (144.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:diamond: A:spade: 8:club: 2:club:
      MP folds, Hero raises to $3, BTN calls $3, 2 folds

Flop: ($7.50) 9:heart: 6:diamond: 9:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($7.50) 3:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $5.34, BTN calls $5.34

River: ($18.18) T:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $9, Hero calls $9

Results: $36.18 pot ($1.81 rake)
      Final Board: 9:heart: 6:diamond: 9:diamond: 3:club: T:diamond:
      Hero showed A:diamond: A:spade: 8:club: 2:club: and won $34.37 ($17.03 net)
      BTN showed 7:spade: 2:spade: 6:heart: A:heart: and lost (-$17.34 net)

When I saw his hand I thought: “ok, it seems that even the very passive looking players make bluffs here… let’s play!!” as I said, it’s fun to play PLO100 jejejeje

This other hand was against a loose aggressive reg that was ch/raising a lot on the flop, and honestly I was a little bit sick of play bet/fold on the flop vs him jejeje, in fact he was one of my teachers this month, because he taught me that I need to check back some air hands on the flop instead of cbet on… let’s say “high probability to get ch/raised flops” jejejeje I don’t know who you are, but thanks!.

$0.50/$1 Pot Limit Omaha Cash, 4 Players

SB: $414.32 (414.3 bb)
      BB: $100 (100 bb)
      CO: $100 (100 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $100.51 (100.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with Q:club: 6:heart: 9:diamond: Q:diamond:
      CO raises to $3.50, Hero calls $3.50, SB folds, BB calls $2.50

Flop: ($11) 3:heart: 2:diamond: Q:heart: (3 players)
      BB checks, CO checks, Hero bets $7.83, BB raises to $30, CO folds, Hero calls $22.17

Turn: ($71) A:diamond: (2 players)
      BB bets $66.50 and is all-in, Hero calls $66.50

River: ($204) K:spade: (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: $204 pot ($1 rake)
      Final Board: 3:heart: 2:diamond: Q:heart: A:diamond: K:spade:
      BB showed 3:spade: J:spade: 4:spade: K:heart: and lost (-$100 net)
      Hero showed Q:club: 6:heart: 9:diamond: Q:diamond: and won $203 ($103 net)

Now you may see why I’m learning the need to play a little bit more tricky even with air hands vs some players jejeje.

Here I was vs another lagy regular and the same psychology can be applied, as this kind of flops is going to get ch/raised a lot, he could float a lot so…

$0.50/$1 Pot Limit Omaha Cash, 6 Players

Hero (SB): $171.87 (171.9 bb)
      BB: $177.13 (177.1 bb)
      UTG: $109.39 (109.4 bb)
      MP: $268.56 (268.6 bb)
      CO: $330.27 (330.3 bb)
      BTN: $100 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q:diamond: 6:club: K:diamond: Q:heart:
      3 folds, BTN raises to $3, Hero calls $2.50, BB folds

Flop: ($7) Q:club: 2:diamond: 5:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $4, Hero raises to $12, BTN calls $8

Turn: ($31) A:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $22, Hero raises to $95.45, BTN calls $63 and is all-in

River: ($201) 6:diamond: (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: $201 pot ($2.50 rake)
      Final Board: Q:club: 2:diamond: 5:heart: A:heart: 6:diamond:
      Hero showed Q:diamond: 6:club: K:diamond: Q:heart: and won $198.50 ($98.50 net)
      BTN showed J:club: A:diamond: T:heart: 8:heart: and lost (-$100 net)

Due hands like this ones, is that I found a lot of fun playing PLO100 as this guys force me to think out of the box… man, I LOVE IT!!!

Now I’m going to show you the 2 relatively biggest hands played this month, one lose and one win. Both played on PLO50.

This one was vs a maniac player, very aggressive, very loose. I was in the GOD SEAT, because at my right were 2 maniacs, and I was getting the best of my seat until this hand jajajajaja, but it was a really fun one to play.

$0.25/$0.50 Pot Limit Omaha Cash, 6 Players

Hero (SB): $259.01 (518 bb)
      BB: $211.13 (422.3 bb)
      UTG: $58.72 (117.4 bb)
      MP: $172.94 (345.9 bb)
      CO: $282.16 (564.3 bb)
      BTN: $50 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T:heart: 8:heart: 9:heart: A:heart:
      2 folds, CO raises to $1.75, BTN calls $1.75, Hero calls $1.50, BB folds

Flop: ($5.75) 7:club: J:heart: 6:diamond: (3 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $4.09, BTN folds, Hero raises to $15.68, CO calls $11.59

Turn: ($37.11) 2:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $26.43, Hero raises to $114.54, CO calls $88.11

River: ($266.19) 6:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $127.04 and is all-in, CO calls $127.04

Results: $520.27 pot ($2 rake)
      Final Board: 7:club: J:heart: 6:diamond: 2:heart: 6:spade:
      Hero showed T:heart: 8:heart: 9:heart: A:heart: and lost (-$259.01 net)
      CO showed J:club: 6:heart: T:club: 7:spade: and won $518.27 ($259.26 net)

And this one was vs a kinda loose passive player:

Hero (SB): $201.19 (402.4 bb)
      BB: $50 (100 bb)
      UTG: $160.24 (320.5 bb)
      MP: $13 (26 bb)
      CO: $195.39 (390.8 bb)
      BTN: $37.61 (75.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T:diamond: 7:club: K:heart: A:diamond:
      2 folds, CO calls $0.50, BTN folds, Hero raises to $2, BB folds, CO calls $1.50

Flop: ($4.50) 9:diamond: 5:spade: Q:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks

Turn: ($4.50) J:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.63, CO raises to $15.17, Hero raises to $49.79, CO raises to $153.65, Hero raises to $199.19 and is all-in, CO calls $39.74 and is all-in

River: ($391.28) T:spade: (2 players, 2 are all-in)

Results: $391.28 pot ($2.00 rake)
      Final Board: 9:diamond: 5:spade: Q:heart: J:diamond: T:spade:
      Hero showed T:diamond: 7:club: K:heart: A:diamond: and won $389.28 ($193.89 net)
      CO showed 7:diamond: 6:diamond: T:heart: K:spade: and lost (-$195.39 net)

After this hand he was very very upset, man I was lucky to not be in a live game because I think he would wait for me outside and shoot me or something like that jajajajajajaja.

Now I’m going to make something a little bit different, some bad beats stories but wait!, nope I’m not going to whine or some shit like that, this are going to be bad beats that I WON!! jejejejejeje.

The first one is a bad beat that I won with AA in a 4bet pot, you may think “wait, a bad beat with AA?” of course man, I only had 13% equity on the flop, even the guy with TP + GS had more equity than me jejejeje.

SB: $49 (98 bb)
      BB: $36.85 (73.7 bb)
      UTG: $50 (100 bb)
      Hero (MP): $61.06 (122.1 bb)
      CO: $95.17 (190.3 bb)
      BTN: $199.72 (399.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A:heart: A:club: 6:diamond: 3:club:
      UTG folds, Hero raises to $1.75, CO calls $1.75, BTN raises to $7.75, SB folds, BB calls $7.25, Hero raises to $33, CO folds, BTN calls $25.25, BB calls $25.25

Flop: ($101) 7:diamond: J:club: 6:heart: (3 players)
      BB bets $3.85 and is all-in, Hero raises to $28.06 and is all-in, BTN calls $28.06

Turn: ($160.97) 7:club: (3 players, 2 are all-in)
      River: ($160.97) A:spade: (3 players, 2 are all-in)

Results: $160.97 pot ($2 rake)
      Final Board: 7:diamond: J:club: 6:heart: 7:club: A:spade:
      BB showed 9:club: J:spade: 9:spade: 5:spade: and lost (-$36.85 net)
      Hero showed A:heart: A:club: 6:diamond: 3:club: and won $158.97 ($97.91 net)
      BTN showed K:club: K:diamond: 6:club: 6:spade: and lost (-$61.06 net)

In this one I had 11% equity jejeje backdoor FH bitch!!!!

$0.50/$1 Pot Limit Omaha Cash, 4 Players

SB: $177.08 (177.1 bb)
      BB: $247.61 (247.6 bb)
      Hero (CO): $103.64 (103.6 bb)
      BTN: $255.68 (255.7 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K:club: 8:club: 8:diamond: 9:diamond:
      Hero raises to $3, 2 folds, BB raises to $9.50, Hero calls $6.50

Flop: ($19.50) J:club: 4:spade: 2:club: (2 players)
      BB bets $18.52, Hero raises to $74.08, BB raises to $238.11 and is all-in, Hero calls $20.06 and is all-in

Turn: ($207.78) 8:heart: (2 players, 2 are all-in)
      River: ($207.78) J:heart: (2 players, 2 are all-in)

Results: $207.78 pot ($1 rake)
      Final Board: J:club: 4:spade: 2:club: 8:heart: J:heart:
      BB showed Q:club: A:club: J:diamond: A:spade: and lost (-$103.64 net)
      Hero showed K:club: 8:club: 8:diamond: 9:diamond: and won $206.78 ($103.14 net)

Here I only had 3 outs to win… BOM!!

$0.25/$0.50 Pot Limit Omaha Cash, 4 Players

Hero (SB): $168.83 (337.7 bb)
      BB: $106.10 (212.2 bb)
      CO: $23.65 (47.3 bb)
      BTN: $45.63 (91.3 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J:club: J:spade: T:diamond: T:spade:
      CO folds, BTN raises to $1.50, Hero raises to $5, BB folds, BTN calls $3.50

Flop: ($10.50) K:diamond: 7:spade: 4:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $7, BTN calls $7

Turn: ($24.50) 3:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $23.75, BTN raises to $33.63 and is all-in, Hero calls $9.88

River: ($91.76) T:heart: (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: $91.76 pot ($0.75 rake)
      Final Board: K:diamond: 7:spade: 4:club: 3:spade: T:heart:
      Hero showed J:club: J:spade: T:diamond: T:spade: and won $91.01 ($45.38 net)
      BTN showed T:club: 3:club: K:spade: 5:spade: and lost (-$45.63 net)

TP vs set, only 7% equity… that’s how I do it baby!!!

Hero (SB): $55.97 (111.9 bb)
      BB: $9.89 (19.8 bb)
      UTG: $104.43 (208.9 bb)
      MP: $30.92 (61.8 bb)
      CO: $15.29 (30.6 bb)
      BTN: $36.03 (72.1 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7:heart: J:spade: K:heart: T:heart:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $1.50, BB raises to $4.50, Hero calls $3

Flop: ($9) K:spade: 6:club: 2:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $5.39 and is all-in, Hero calls $5.39

Turn: ($19.78) A:diamond: (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($19.78) Q:club: (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: $19.78 pot ($0.99 rake)
      Final Board: K:spade: 6:club: 2:club: A:diamond: Q:club:
      Hero showed 7:heart: J:spade: K:heart: T:heart: and won $18.79 ($8.90 net)
      BB showed Q:heart: Q:diamond: 6:heart: 6:spade: and lost (-$9.89 net)

Funny hands jajajaja.

Well now the monthly results:

First the graph on PLO50

Now PLO100:

As you can imagine, the principal goal for the next days is to be able to play profitable on both stakes, build the roll at PLO50 and make shoots at PLO100 until I constantly win on both stakes and build the roll to take shoots to midstakes, fuck yeah!!.

That’s all for now, wish you the best of luck in life and remember, drink all the beer I can’t jajajajajaja, cheers!!!
    • Gothicrow
      Weeks 28-32 (June 2016)

Well, I played a mix of PLO50 and 100, and step by step I feel a little bit more comfortable playing on both stakes, here the graph

As I said, I’m feeling better at PLO100, at least I no longer think “holly shit, it’s a lot of money” jejejeje.

This time I want to share a video that made me think about my approach playing vs maniacs, and it’s something that I’m starting to apply when the opportunity comes:

This was made by John, and it’s worthy that you can check his youtube material :f_thumbsup:

Today I noticed something interesting about my mental game, I tilted on the tables but I was able to recognize it and then quitting right after that. I was playing my B-game, a little bit distracted and showing old habits not making one or 2 value checks vs the right opponents and in fact I did a play that after making it I recognize it was a mistake… this made me feel upset, but I could continue playing a decent game, with not too much mistakes, until there was a hand that on the river I thought “ok, I’m gonna bet because my hand has thin value vs this passive guy, but if he raises I have to fold”, then I made my bet and he raised, I had to call $10 into a pot of $50 so the odds were very good to bluff catch but, here is the BIG BUT, I knew he was not bluffing, I knew I was beat, I knew my hand was trash vs his range, I knew all that and my mind went “I said I must fold, my hand is trash, I should fold but is a good price, mmmm a good price, I haven’t win a SD in the last hands, he can have a bluff, no he is not bluffing but, what if?… na it’s only $10 I’m gonna call” BOM! I lost that extra $10 and my friends, that is what TILT means. The great thing was that even if it was a smallish pot, I could recognize that I was starting playing on tilt and close all my tables, and it’s something that I would not be able to do some time ago, I would continue playing, trying to force the situations to win that money back, and obviously loosing a little bit more (or much more) before quitting. So I’m happy discovering that improvement on my mental game… I quit playing and tomorrow is gonna be another day.

A funny thing that happened last month, was that one day I was playing and the tables were so fucking good, a lot of recreational players and then I heard the seismic alert, some times it sounds and we don’t feel the seismic, so I only stand up from the chair, ask my brother to open the door in case the movement was ugly and meanwhile I continued playing. Then we felt that the building was moving slowly, so I continued playing. But then, the seismic was harder and we walk to the door and when we were going out the building, again it felt slowly, so I ran to the computer just in time to call an all in when I had the nuts at a PLO100 table and I won a nice pot jejejejeje.

Another thing that I remember, was a situation against one reg at 2 tables.

first this hand was happening

$0.25/$0.50 Pot Limit Omaha Cash, 5 Players

Hero (SB): $50 (100 bb)
      BB: $78.09 (156.2 bb)
      MP: $50 (100 bb)
      CO: $24.86 (49.7 bb)
      BTN: $166.53 (333.1 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with :Ks: :Td: :5s: :Qs:
      2 folds, BTN raises to $1.05, Hero raises to $3.65, BB folds, BTN calls $2.60

Flop: ($7.80) :7h: :5h: :3h: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

I decided not to cbet because this guy is capable to bluff raise or float, so I wanted to do something different this time.

Turn: ($7.80) :8c: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $3.77, Hero raises to $11.25

And then this guy was thinking, trying to understand what a fuck I was doing and how to proceed. and meanwhile this hand was in another table vs him

$0.25/$0.50 Pot Limit Omaha Cash, 4 Players

Hero (SB): $50 (100 bb)
      BB: $24 (48 bb)
      CO: $103.80 (207.6 bb)
      BTN: $113.68 (227.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with :Ah: :Kd: :3c: :Jd:
      CO folds, BTN raises to $1.05, Hero raises to $3.65, BB folds, BTN calls $2.60

Flop: ($7.80) :4h: :2h: :Th: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

When I saw the flop and the situation, I decided to play the same as at the other table

Turn: ($7.80) :8d: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $3.77, Hero folds quickly to let him think that I have something good at the other hand and invite him to fold

Results: $7.80 pot ($0.39 rake)
      Final Board: :4h: :2h: :Th: :8d:
      Hero mucked :Ah: :Kd: :3c: :Jd: and lost (-$3.65 net)
      BTN mucked and won $7.41 ($3.76 net)

Then at the other table, he fast mucked his hand and let me win the pot jejejejeje

Turn: ($7.80) :8c: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $3.77, Hero raises to $11.25, BTN folds

Results:$15.34 pot ($0.77 rake)
      Final Board: :7h: :5h: :3h: :8c:
      Hero mucked :Ks: :Td: :5s: :Qs: and won $14.57 ($7.15 net)
      BTN mucked and lost (-$7.42 net)

Probably a better player would take more advantage from this situation, but at the moment this is what I decided to do and had a net profit of 7BB, this could be named as “by pass bluff” jajajajaja :f_drink:

Well, this is all for today, I wish you good luck in life and success in everything you want to accomplish. Until next time cabrones!!
    • LimitlessExp
      Sick results man :f_drink: Keep going!
    • Gothicrow
      Thanks man! :f_drink:
    • Gothicrow
      Weeks 33-36 July 2016

Fast update.

July was a very good month and the cards were on my side, I think that was my birthday present from poker Gods jajaja. My game is improving and I feel like a stronger player than ever in my career, although sometimes I made very big mistakes jejeje, but it’s part of the improving process. Now I’m thinking more often on how to play my entire range during a hand, it’s hard to me, but I think I’m improving on that…

As I had said before, many of my opponents are good players, and are tricky in very different ways, sometimes you can see that they have very similar stats, but they play their ranges different, and some are prone to put me in hard spots and I need to balance better my ranges to avoid that, but I think I’m improving at adapting and looking opportunities to beat them, it’s a lot of fun! I love poker!!

My discipline to play most days at month hasn’t improved jejeje, the thing is that, life is NOW and if some days I wake up and want to do something else, well, I do something else jejeje, probably I’m wrong, who knows… only time would prove me that, but meanwhile, I live my life day per day and try to make the best of it… NOW :f_drink:

Well now the very nice month graph jejejeje. 78% of the hands were played at PLO100 and the rest at PLO50.

My best month ever!!! jajajaja cheers!!

Good luck in life to everybody!
    • 4s4s4s
      Good luck.
    • Gothicrow
      @4s4s4s: Thanks :f_drink:

Weeks 37 – 41 August 2016

Hi guys, today first I’m going to put the month graph

jajajajaja ugly, right? jajajaja. Well those are 22 BI lost between PLO100 and 50, and we know that shit happens sometimes ajajajaja.

Problem was that I was angry all the time and couldn’t control myself, I was always feeling that I only sat down at the tables to lose, actually I almost didn’t play on the month in part due to the fact that I was always angry and quitting just a few hands after starting the sessions jejeje, I think that in that cases is better to quit than spew a lot. John has said to us, “when you don’t feel it, just take a rest”… and I wasn’t feeling it jeje.

I also took some time to see the olympics, I just love it and enjoy seen it with my family and also, this time we could see it live given that it was at Rio, so the schedule was on day time 😀

One thing that took my attention was the women’s 400m final, if you didn’t saw that, I suggest you to see it here:

Now the interesting part are the last 100 m, Shaunae Miller was leading the race but at the end she was going “out of gas” and Allyson Felix was about to win the race with the great sprint that she was doing. Now, the first one that had her shoulders crossing the final line was going to win, and in some way, Shaunae thought “out of the box” and reacted in the only way that she had to win the gold medal. This was a very unusual way to win, but it’s not against the rules, interesting don’t you think?… I’m going to let this conversation here and just invite you to think out of the box in all the aspects of your lifes and at the poker tables (specially vs tough opponents).

This month I’m going to work harder on my mental game, men are separated from boys on how they react during a downswing. I thought that I was stronger than I’m, I had deal with this many times in the past… but at PLO25 and I felt it harder at PLO100 so, I saw that I’m a little bit too weak in that aspect. The primary goal is going to be to force myself focus only in the process of playing at the tables and switch the thought “oh man, I hope I don’t lose on this session” into “I’m going to play my best no matter what”. I’m reading a book that I like it so far, it is “With winning in mind”. I will tell you what I think about it when I finish it. The first step that I’m going to do, is to drop to PLO25 to gain confidence in my game and feel how the PLO runs through my veins again jajajajaja.

Well, that’s it for today. I wish you the best of the luck in everything and CHEERS CABRONES!!!
    • Gothicrow
      Weeks 42 – 45 (September 2016)

Hey there, quick update.

Here the graph:

Lack of confidence on my game, so I had to study a little bit more to reinforce it jejeje.

By now the things are going better, I’m playing more focus and gaining confidence in my game, so October should be a better month, at least in performance jejejejeje.

Cheers and GL in life!!