The Micros - Armageddon out of here!

• DemonDavies
      DemonDavies
      Bronze
      "Armageddon (/ˌɑrməˈɡɛdᵊn/, from Ancient Greek: Ἁρμαγεδών Harmagedōn,[1][2] Late Latin: Armagedōn[3]) will be, according to the Book of Revelation, the site of a gathering of armies for a battle during the end times, variously interpreted as either a literal or a symbolic location. The term is also used in a generic sense to refer to any end of the world scenario."

Greetings fellow Strategists!

My name is Kane, I'm 31 and I have been playing poker on and off for well over a decade now. The reason for this blog will be inspire myself to finally force myself learn and beat the micros.
      I had some early success with the SSS on PartyPoker many years ago, having a good go at small stakes before my roll got decimated due to bad bankroll management. Since then, my roll has never recovered.
      I have hit many bumps in the road and have thrown in the towel more than once and although I am not one to usually quit, I find the micros are frustrating and drive me mad. Each year I return to the virtual felt for yet again another shot at glory and a run to NL100 (Has always been a long term goal of mine) and each time I leave in defeat. This time I have come prepared. I am now willing to invest in my education and spend time studying my play and that of others, which is something I have never dedicated enough time to.

I have set-up an account at 888 to take advantage of their bankroll offer, as I feel starting from scratch and working my way up will be a great achievement personally and a boost for my confidence.

I am currently running through the tourny tickets and have reduced my BR as of now to $0.

I shall be starting at NL2 SH/SNAP and playing in Tournaments and Satellites with no more than 1% of my total BR.

My current goal is to grow my Bankroll to $1000, where I will be playing NL20/25 and preparing for NL50.

I will be following early aggressive BR management rules as:

:diamond: Move up to NL4 at $60 BR (15 buyins)
      :diamond: Move up to NL6 at $90 BR (15 buyins)
      :diamond: Move up to NL10 at $150 BR (15 buyins)
      :diamond: Move up to NL20 at $400 BR (20 buyins) / Move up to NL25 at $750 BR (30 buyins)

At $600+ I may move my roll to FT or Stars to play NL25 and follow higher buyin/BR strat and to take advantage of deposit bonuses.

I will be reviewing my database after every session where applicable and posting hand histories here for review and criticism.

I have several books to read as a part of my education; one being Harringtons online 6-max.

Wish me luck, see you on the felt,

DD
  • 15 replies
    • DemonDavies
      DemonDavies
      Bronze
      Session #1

I reduced my BR to $0 and was going to start Freerolling, however I placed in 3 tournaments from tickets giving me +$1.39, +$1.84 and +$1.27.

I jumped on to 1 table of 6-max and one of 6-max SNAP.

Session graph:

I ran stupidly hot for +$10.86, +$5.90 EV adjusted.

Totals
      Session Length: 151 mins
      Hands: 693
      Session: +$15.36
      Bankroll: $15.36

A hand of interest:

Pacific, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $0.03 (1.5 bb)
      Hero (BB): $3.90 (195 bb)
      UTG: $0.78 (39 bb)
      MP: $2.95 (147.5 bb)
      CO: $3.60 (180 bb)
      BTN: $1.66 (83 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5 5
      UTG calls $0.02, MP folds, CO raises to $0.08, BTN folds, SB calls $0.02 and is all-in, Hero calls $0.06, UTG calls $0.06

Flop: ($0.27) 5 2 T (4 players, 1 is all-in)
      Hero bets $0.14, UTG raises to $0.51, CO raises to $1.94, Hero raises to $3.82, UTG calls $0.19 and is all-in, CO calls $1.58 and is all-in

Turn: ($8.01) 7 (4 players, 3 are all-in)
      River: ($8.01) A (4 players, 3 are all-in)

Results:
      $8.01 pot ($0.50 rake)
      Final Board: 5 2 T 7 A
      SB showed 4 J and lost (-$0.03 net)
      Hero showed 5 5 and won $7.51 ($3.91 net)
      UTG showed A T and lost (-$0.78 net)
      CO showed Q Q and lost (-$3.60 net)

This was the biggest. Any reason why it shows as a -EV play? I would have assumed aggressive play with a set would have been the correct line to take?

See you on the felt!
      -DD
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Kane,

Welcome to the 'Get Rich or Die Tryin' bankroll challenge. we will be looking forward to your first update which you should post by Monday of each week in Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge - Reporting thread.

Have fun :gl:

Laz
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Solid start & welcome into our little challenge.

For the hand, who said it is minus EV? You don't even have bottom set, so 22 and TT cancel each other out. In my eyes clearly a profitable all in.
    • DemonDavies
      DemonDavies
      Bronze
      Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

I plan to update most days I play, however I work odd shift patterns at the moment, so will update when I can, and certainly every Monday. I look forward to the challenge!

Regards,

Kane.
    • DemonDavies
      DemonDavies
      Bronze
      Session #2

Totals
      Session Length: 131 mins
      Hands Played: 907
      Profit: -$8.53
      Bankroll: $6.83

Okay, not the best session, and certainly not the way I wanted to continue the start of the challenge, but hey!, that's poker for ya!

Was spewing chips myself towards the end and felt I was C-betting into situations I should have just checked down way too often. Any advice for this?

I had a bumpy start losing hands that I should have sailed through holding what I had, but some people can't seem to lay down 63o to a PFR?

The hand in question

Looking at the hand I feel I didn't raise enough PF and maybe should have folded the All-in shove? Villain was playing 79/15 over 42 hands and was super spewy. Feel like I got my fingers caught in the cookie jar this time round. Against a tighter player I would have folded, but should I fold more often againt looser players too?

SB: $1 (50 bb)
      BB: $1.97 (98.5 bb)
      Hero (UTG): $1.29 (64.5 bb)
      MP: $1 (50 bb)
      CO: $1 (50 bb)
      BTN: $1.31 (65.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J J
      Hero raises to $0.05, MP folds, CO calls $0.05, 2 folds, BB calls $0.03

Flop: ($0.16) 7 5 4 (3 players)
      BB bets $1.92 and is all-in, Hero calls $1.24 and is all-in, CO folds

Turn: ($2.64) 4 (2 players, 2 are all-in)
      River: ($2.64) 9 (2 players, 2 are all-in)

Results:
      $2.64 pot ($0.16 rake)
      Final Board: 7 5 4 4 9
      BB showed 6 3 and won $2.48 ($1.19 net)
      Hero showed J J and lost (-$1.29 net)
      CO mucked and lost (-$0.05 net)

See you on the felt!
      -DD
    • NoOneSpcl
      NoOneSpcl
      Bronze
      Hey Kane.

Nice start to the challenge. However, I hope the hand in the last post isn't a common example :)

First of all, as a general rule (with exceptions, of course) is -
      1 pair hands, even overpairs, are normally not strong enough to go to stacks with.

Not just against tight players. Against normal, average, micro stakes players.
      You need very specific and extreme reads on someone to call here.

So, against loose maniacs, sure, might be a call. But being loose, even crazy loose, doesn't mean someone is a maniac.
      Many super loose players play very loose preflop but very passively post flop (fit or fold or close to it), so a raise by these, for example, is something to always respect.

Even if this guy was aggressive post flop in most of his hands, was he raising all in on the flop often? if so - your call may have been correct.

Otherwise - this is just a donk bet flop all-in and under most circumstances, your overpair is not strong enough to test the opponent.

You may get pushed off some hands like this, but the only players who are completely unbluffable are very bad players (the worst kind - calling stations).
      This is, in my opinion, a very bad spot to call against anyone but a maniac who has shown tendencies to all-in flops before quite often.

I would probably call a normal raise here though.
    • DemonDavies
      DemonDavies
      Bronze
      Thanks NoOneSpcl, I appreciate the time you took to check my blog and comment on the hand! I'll take note and be a lot more wary with my pocket pairs from now on.

See you on the felt!
      -DD
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Hi Kane,

Great start to your Bank Roll challenge. I look forward to reading more about your progress in the coming months.

Regards

Matt
    • DemonDavies
      DemonDavies
      Bronze
      Hey, metalmonkey80! Thanks for the kind words and support! I shall be trying my best. The hardest thing I am dealing with right now is adjusting to an style that can do well at the micros. It's touch and go at the moment!

See you on the felt!
      -DD
    • DemonDavies
      DemonDavies
      Bronze
      Session #3

Totals
      Session Length: 141 mins
      Hands Played: 1093
      Profit: +$4.25
      Bankroll: $11.08

This session felt okay. I don't feel I am being aggressive enough and am still leaving too much dead money at the table that I should be stealing. This is something I will be trying to improve over my next session.

Not really many hands to brag or moan about, mostly just hands where I did not extract enough value from what seems to be a super nitty micro community! It seems whenever I have a hand, everyone folds as if i'm shouting my card values to them and catching me when i'm playing like an idiot.

Go figure.

See you on the felt!
      -DD
    • DemonDavies
      DemonDavies
      Bronze
      Session #4

Totals
      Session Length: 457 mins
      Hands Played: 2688
      Profit: -$5.24
      5 x Satellite shots to the $1 Goldfish -$0.50
      Bankroll: $5.34

This was a long session split over the 2 days as I am a little bit of a night owl due to work. It was a long and bumpy road and in the end I was left feeling disappointed. I didn't feel I played terribly, however I wasn't playing optimal, and I think I am a LONG way from playing an A game. I had a few bad hands that of course should have gone my way, but variance is an unforgiving master and today was not my day!

A special mention is to these to KK hands. Some feedback would be most welcome as I feel big pocket pairs will be a massive leak of mine if not plugged soon.

SB: $1.49 (74.5 bb)
      Hero (BB): $4.49 (224.5 bb)
      UTG: $1.04 (52 bb)
      MP: $1.31 (65.5 bb)
      CO: $2.80 (140 bb)
      BTN: $0.39 (19.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K K
      UTG folds, MP raises to $0.07, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, MP raises to $0.33, Hero raises to $1, MP raises to $1.31 and is all-in, Hero calls $0.31

Flop: ($2.63) 4 Q 5 (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      Turn: ($2.63) 3 (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($2.63) A (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $2.63 pot ($0.16 rake)
      Final Board: 4 Q 5 3 A
      Hero showed K K and lost (-$1.31 net)
      MP showed K A and won $2.47 ($1.16 net)

And

SB: $1.02 (51 bb)
      BB: $1.57 (78.5 bb)
      UTG: $3.16 (158 bb)
      MP: $1 (50 bb)
      Hero (CO): $4.44 (222 bb)
      BTN: $1 (50 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K K
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BTN raises to $0.30, SB folds, BB calls $0.28, Hero raises to $0.98, BTN raises to $1 and is all-in, BB raises to $1.57 and is all-in, Hero calls $0.59

Flop: ($4.15) 7 8 7 (3 players, 2 are all-in)
      Turn: ($4.15) 4 (3 players, 2 are all-in)
      River: ($4.15) A (3 players, 2 are all-in)

Results:
      $4.15 pot ($0.25 rake)
      Final Board: 7 8 7 4 A
      BB showed Q Q and lost (-$1.57 net)
      Hero showed K K and won $1.07 (-$0.50 net)
      BTN showed A A and won $2.83 ($1.83 net)

Also, I feel I am committing far to much with AK hands such as:

SB: $1.12 (56 bb)
      BB: $1.95 (97.5 bb)
      UTG: $1.20 (60 bb)
      MP: $0.78 (39 bb)
      Hero (CO): $2.26 (113 bb)
      BTN: $0.80 (40 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A K
      UTG raises to $0.06, MP folds, Hero raises to $0.19, 3 folds, UTG calls $0.13

Flop: ($0.41) K 7 J (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $0.31, UTG raises to $1.01 and is all-in, Hero calls $0.70

Turn: ($2.43) T (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($2.43) 3 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $2.43 pot ($0.15 rake)
      Final Board: K 7 J T 3
      UTG showed J K and won $2.28 ($1.08 net)
      Hero showed A K and lost (-$1.20 net)

All three I feel my decisions were +EV and luck was not on my side, but I am certainly looking for ways to reduce the damage.

Also, I have decided to add an improvement to my game each week to help increase profitability and plug my leaks one by one and continue damage control. This weeks improvement will be what I mentioned in a previous post:

STEAL MORE!

I need to steal more as I am leaving too much change just laying around on the tables and have not been utilizing my play in the Cut-off and Button as I should be. At the moment I am not worried so much at blind defence, but it will be something I will be adding to my arsenal at the micros at a later date.

See you on the felt!
      -DD
    • DREAMC4T
      DREAMC4T
      Bronze
      Haha, I read the title as a pun - armageddon out of here, armma geddin out of here, Imma getting out of here. HahHhaha, wow, in tears now

Best of luck to you :s_thumbsup: :s_thumbsup:
    • DemonDavies
      DemonDavies
      Bronze
      Lmao. Pun intended and I'm glad it had you in tears DREAMC4T. My work is done ;)

See you on the felt!
      -DD
    • DREAMC4T
      DREAMC4T
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DemonDavies
      Lmao. Pun intended and I'm glad it had you in tears DREAMC4T. My work is done ;)

See you on the felt!
      -DD
      Ah, ok haha. I thought my hawk eyes spotted something.... :facepalm: Great fun though
    • DemonDavies
      DemonDavies
      Bronze
      Session #5

Totals
      Session Length: 328 mins
      Hands Played: 1813
      Profit: -$4.47
      Bankroll: $0.87

A horrendous combined session and a huge know to the start of my challenge. Apologies not much more in detail, but will add hands of interest tomorrow before work.

Cheers,
      -DD