Sitting on BB, everydoby folds, a 57/9 whale completes, what range of hands should I raise?

• gabl136
      I'm sitting on BB, everybody folds, a 57/9 whale completes on SB (only have 35 hands on him).

What range of hands would you raise?
      What is the raise amount that would get him to fold most of the time? 3BBs? 4BBs, 55BBs?

Am I assuming right if I think the whale is completing close to 100% of hands here?
  • 6 replies
    • SDK1987
      Hello gabl136

Welcome on the PokerStrategy forum :welcome:

As cash game fish I would raise at least any pair, any ace and any broadway combo against a SB whale to 3bb in total. It's indeed likely he will complete with pretty much 100%. Only top hands he would most likely raise.

• stompy91
      I would raise a lot to be honest, probably the same kind of range I would use for opening the CO because you want to play in position with a decent hand as the fish is going to call almost all raises. Then you can play solid after the flop.
    • la55i
      Assuming he completes almost 100% is ok. I think we can raise him a lot and play cautiously post flop. Pairs, Ax, broadways, suited connectors would be good to raise.
    • htghguuh
      Sure i usually sit and wait for him to keep calling and raising,
      I never try push him off a hand because he dont know wot a hand is.
      patients and you will catch him ALL IN
    • Jaissica
      To add to the above comments,

On your narrow read, if you have been watching his play, you should already know if he is going to continue postflop with bottom pairs, gutshots, backdoors or an overcard.

If he is loose preflop and tight postflop (folding to most cbets) you can PFR with any two and cbet any board. Its an autoprofit situation.
    • kriko92
      Also if you check preflop and he checks flop, bet 100%.