Anyone Actively Play Stud and Want to Talk about it?

• PidKoker
      PidKoker
      Global
      I started playing Stud Hi/Lo .25/.50 with some very good results have seen my bankroll increase a lot thanks to the articles provided here, just wanted to know if there's anyone else out here in the section is it just dead? I would like to talk about strategy and my game and hope I could hear others opinions on it, got lots I would like to talk about but not going to waste my time to post if I don't think anyone is interested.
  • 24 replies
    • kukkiwonBG
      kukkiwonBG
      Bronze
      I'm interested to learn all forms of poker (at least the popular once).
      I have very little experience playing stud, but I understand the idea of hi/lo games very well (for my experience I mean).
      I have played only tournament in stud, but more of them was in Hi and in Razz.
      I have watched some videos for Stud games (mainly Razz) and I hope to expand my knowledge.
      I'm very active Holdem player and I can not find alot of time for Stud, but we can help one another with exchanging links for articles and talk for some basic strategy, hands and adjusting to opponents.

I hope that the section will start growing.

Best regards,
      kukkiwonBG
    • kukkiwonBG
      kukkiwonBG
      Bronze
      It will be nice to talk for some books for Stud games and about some free videos in the net. :D
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kukkiwonBG
      It will be nice to talk for some books for Stud games and about some free videos in the net. :D
      I have already ordered some Introductory Stud videos and hope to integrate stud into our video release plan. Since coordination in the department has just been re-done I hope we can start with it soon :)

Best regards
      SoyCD
    • kukkiwonBG
      kukkiwonBG
      Bronze
      This will be very nice SoyCD. Thank you :P
    • Jim9137
      Jim9137
      Bronze
      I coach stud for the Finnish section, so me me me me! I'm not the most active player in the game, but I used to play razz and stud hi exclusively in the low limits back in the day.

For book recommendations, I suggest the typical Sklansky (stud for advanced), Ray Zee (stud hi/lo for advanced), Todd Brunson (super system 2) and so on forth, as those are pretty much the only worthwhile material on the market. :)
    • TTT241
      TTT241
      Bronze
      From my experience anything bellow 0.25/0.5 (included) on Stars is prety easily beatable...

On 0.5/1 I do not know wheater I am break even... the game is much more tougher.

TTT
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TTT241
      From my experience anything bellow 0.25/0.5 (included) on Stars is prety easily beatable...

On 0.5/1 I do not know wheater I am break even... the game is much more tougher.

TTT
      I played some Badugi yesterday and today.. and its really easy

I mean I was up like 100 bigbets despite the early on losses due to having no idea how to play myself :) After some settling on some basic strategy and figuring out the odds it was either upswing or plain easy. :)
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      So we can expect a badugi coaching by soycd? :D
    • Jim9137
      Jim9137
      Bronze
      I think badugi is a stupid game. :(
    • Naharro
      Naharro
      Bronze
      Hi, i'am from spanish forum. I play stud hi/lo microlimits.

Originally posted by Jim9137
      For book recommendations, I suggest ... Todd Brunson (super system 2)... :)
      This book is free you can read it in this link -> SEVEN CARD STUD HIGH LOW EIGHT-OR-BETTER by Todd Brunson

There are a lot of links in german forum HEAR and in spanish forum HEAR
    • Jonaton
      Jonaton
      Bronze
      I think badugi is a stupid game. :(
      Stupid or not the fishes on the Badugi tables are the biggest out there. it is the only place I have seen, and more than once someone sit at the table and ask everyone to tell them the rules.

I would love to see more off game videos as well, I prefer the Hi or low only games, split pots are too good for the house and less good for you.
    • AussieIan
      AussieIan
      Bronze
      what are the rules for badugi, have to admit i played a freeroll once and had absolutely no idea what i was doing (not surprisingly i didn't last long enough to find out)
    • PidKoker
      PidKoker
      Global
      Originally posted by AussieIan
      what are the rules for badugi, have to admit i played a freeroll once and had absolutely no idea what i was doing (not surprisingly i didn't last long enough to find out)
      the basic idea is you want to have 4 low cards all different suits... I cant remmeber how the ranking works exactly but pairs+ are bad (personally if I want to play a lowball game i just play razz or stud8)
    • Jonaton
      Jonaton
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AussieIan
      The idea is to get 4 low cards all of different suits so an example of the nuts would be A :spade: 2 :heart: 3 :diamond: 4 :club:

As long as you have 4 suits you have a Badugi. Most people playing the game at low levels are pretty terrible and there is lots and lots of fishes.
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      I started playing 7 card Stud (hi only) frome last week, I jumped directly into 5/10 tables and I haven't got clue what I am doing. So I hope that there will be stud hi videos in future ;) .
    • PidKoker
      PidKoker
      Global
      Originally posted by timukasr
      I started playing 7 card Stud (hi only) frome last week, I jumped directly into 5/10 tables and I haven't got clue what I am doing. So I hope that there will be stud hi videos in future ;) .
      wow you must have a nice BR to be jumping up that high.. I suggest Downloading PokerTracker Stud and review hands that you win big with and lose big with and start to analyze if you are a player who overplays or underplays specfic hands (this helped my stud game alot)... If you want some videos there some nice ones on http://academy.fulltiltpoker.com/ (though you need a FullTilt account) some you must just have to watch the HORSE videos and check out the Stud part. If you dont have a fulltilt account add me on pokerstrategy friends and send me your Skype I'm sure I can help you out
    • michaelg5pro
      michaelg5pro
      Bronze
      I coach stud for the Finnish section, so me me me me! I'm not the most active player in the game, but I used to play razz and stud hi exclusively in the low limits back in the day.

For book recommendations, I suggest the typical Sklansky (stud for advanced), Ray Zee (stud hi/lo for advanced), Todd Brunson (super system 2) and so on forth, as those are pretty much the only worthwhile material on the market. :)
      I read the Brunson in ss2, thats fine, and im lookin forward to the sklansky, i also check out his on razz. Theres also good one in Super System 1, i think it was by Reese, and some Stud chapters in Helmuths Book (play poker like the pros somethin like that). Helped me with some basics bout worth of unsure toppairs, how to play them and when stop drawin and so on.

btw, i dont like badugi bud didnt give it many trys, though it seems easy, for that kinda games i really prefer 2-7 triple draw,
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SoyCD
      I have already ordered some Introductory Stud videos and hope to integrate stud into our video release plan. Since coordination in the department has just been re-done I hope we can start with it soon :)

Best regards
      SoyCD
      Any new on these Mr. Soy? :)
    • PidKoker
      PidKoker
      Global
      Originally posted by Kimber88
      Originally posted by SoyCD

Best regards
      SoyCD
      Any new on these Mr. Soy? :)
      +1, That post was ages ago and I was expecting a video here sooner or later but nothing yet. X(