2NL: how to exploit regs as much as possible?

• gabl136
      gabl136
      Basic
      The question is simple, the answer is probably not :)

I've tried light 3-betting lately and after some big disasters I think I've got it down :) Are there any other ways to exploit regs at the micros?
  • 13 replies
    • la55i
      la55i
      Weird moves which they don't understand. Overbet donk OTF and they will fold if they are not holding the nuts :f_biggrin: Exploitative folds are good also. If villain is tight and you feel like you might be behind, you probably are.

Ps. That overbet donk flop was a joke. :) Sometimes I do it blind vs blind when villain is tight reg and flop doesn't hit his range.
    • JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      How do you donk the flop BvB?
    • la55i
      la55i
      Originally posted by JCSeerup
      How do you donk the flop BvB?
      When villain defends his BB by 3betting. When villain starts to resteal wider he is probably playing with merged range. If the flop looks like it hits my coldcalling range better than his 3bet range I sometimes do that.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      you should use some advanced strategies like "raise" "bet" and "fold". "fold" is specially strong pretty often
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      Steal wide vs tight ones
      Play solid vs spazzy ones
      more stuff here
      No Limit - Beyond the first strategy!
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/39087/
    • iSoOwnYou
      iSoOwnYou
      Bronze
      Profit comes from fish 🐟 most regs are terrible at this stake so all you need to do Is value bet them to death when you have a strong hand and fold to aggression vs nits, this is all the exploit you need at 2nl to crush
    • Pistoleroo
      Pistoleroo
      Silver
      Don't bother playing the regs. Just find recreational players.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by Pistoleroo
      Don't bother playing the regs. Just find recreational players.
      I agree, but regs are a fact of life.
      It is funny to watch a table break up when the last 65/45 player leaves.
      In the meantime, the other 5 players have to play pots against themselves.

If you have a HUD -- and play on a site that allows them -- then when their 3Bet stat is above 7 (on a decent sample) start to 4Bet them a bit wider. The tendency here is to move from 4Betting AK down to AJ (for example) but that just opens you up to being dominated. So your 4Bet bluff have to be outside the range he dominates.

For example, here is a starting hands for CO vs BB 3Bet from the "Gameplan" articles from a year or two ago.

The blue is the 4Bet bluff range, the red is 4Bet-shove, dark yellow is 4-Bet half, call half and the plain yellow is call.
      The idea is that you 4Bet bluff the top of your folding range -- but note that A9s etc is not in the 4Bet bluff range.

If have no idea why QQ is not in the 4Bet-shove range.

Note that I'm not recommending this -- it is an illustration of the concept.

Another thing is aggression.
      You won't take many pots from regs without it.

Raising CBets on dry flops in position, or checking back the turn and raising the inevitable turn bet for example.

Mind you, it is important to know when to get out when you're beaten, as someone already mentioned.

All the best,
      VS
    • gabl136
      gabl136
      Basic
      @iSoOwnYou: Wouldn't the statement ''most regs are terrible at this stake'' mean that they are also fish? For the last 10k hands i've been 3betting them like there is no tomorow and they fold all day long. Now don't get me wrong, 3-betting in a wrong spot is a disaster and i've had to learn this the hard way (look at the graph). But since i've learned to pick the right sport, my red line went crazy (10k hands or so).

I still only seat at the tables where there are fish and whales (30%+ VPIP). So I play the fish, but if a good spot presents itself for 3-betting a reg, i take it.

I'll see what happenes when i play 10 or 20k more hands.

http://www.imagebam.com/image/8b0877449674827
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Nice graph!
      Note that when your red line goes up, your blue line goes down.
      That may be overall aggression, not just 3Betting pre.

Also, I find that having a 200+ BB stack helps. finding a tight reg with a deep stack is like a license to print money.
      My earlier warning still holds: When you ramp up the aggression, you need to know when to back down.

Overly aggro players are easy to trap.

The best discussion I've ever seen is "The Red Line Myth" by w34z3l one of the PokerStrategy.com coaches.

Best of luck,
      VS
    • gabl136
      gabl136
      Basic
      Yeah, it's easy to get carried away :) Is it common for the blue line to go down when the red one goes up?

Am I right to presume that this kind of red line is only possible at the micros because there are so many weak / passive players who call / fold too much?
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      If you read w34z3l's article that I linked to in my last reply, you'll see that yes, the two lines are linked.

It is quite possible to have a positive red AND blue line, if you play a tight, aggressive style, and match your play to your opponents.

Best of luck,
      VS
    • Post removed