2NL: light 3-betting the regulars

• gabl136
      gabl136
      Basic
      I've been trying light 3-betting lately, and after some big disasters i think i've got it down. The red line is going up more quickly then before.

Graph (last 5k hands or so):

http://i.imgsafe.org/3643d4e.jpg

The question I have is, how far should i go? Because I don't want anyone to exploit me back.

What is the fold to 3bet% you go for when doing this?

What range of hands do you do that with?

What is the hand sample you like to have?

How many regs at the micros (specifically 2NL) do you think have Holdem Manager or Poker Tracker these days (so that they know what kind of stats I have or that they know how much I 3bet)?

Also, how much do you think light 3-betting can add to someones winrate at 2NL in the long run?

Thanks
  • 3 replies
    • iSoOwnYou
      iSoOwnYou
      Bronze
      Hi nice red line, just feedback on a couple of your points, at 2nl I think it would be more profitable not to light 3bet, because what you are gaining from your red line you are likely sacrificing in your showdown winnings (the blue line) - which is where most of the profit will come from at 2nl.

Most 'regs' (those multitabling with tag stats) will have poker tracker or hm2. Even at 2nl. That being said they will still play terribly post flop, which is where you will make most of your money at 2nl. In terms of hands I would say get 100k and evaluate your overall winrate. While 100k isn't a big sample, it's enough to get an idea of how well your overall strategy is starting to work out.
    • Hesticus
      Hesticus
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      The question I have is, how far should i go? Because I don't want anyone to exploit me back.
      I would start to think in terms of exploiting people. Yes, to exploit people, you have to play exploitable to some extend. However, there are formulas in which you can 3Bet profitably every single time, even when villain is calling you down.

Reason it like this: If villain opens to 3bb in CO and it folds to you in BB, and you 3-bet to 9bb. You are risking 8bb to win the 4.5bb in the pot. If he folds more than 8/(8+4.5) = 64% of the time, you will make money in the long run, even if you fold every time when he raises or calls.

What range of hands do you do that with?
      Fishes is a wide range of 20%-30%. I can even raise with J-5o on BU or BB when villain is SB if it is an extremely exploitable fish. Against a solid reg who is unpredictable I can even fold hands such as A-10s on BU if he opens from UTG.
      You can see that there is a lot to say with what hands you should open with.

What is the hand sample you like to have?
      In a 6-max game, 100k hands gives a solid sample.

How many regs at the micros (specifically 2NL) do you think have Holdem Manager or Poker Tracker these days (so that they know what kind of stats I have or that they know how much I 3bet)?
      Not sure this one.

Also, how much do you think light 3-betting can add to someones winrate at 2NL in the long run?
      A lot for sure! Point is that you want to increase your profit and either win the pot by value or by stealing. Go for it and try to get to 5NL by playing your best game.

Hope this helps, good luck at the tables!
    • la55i
      la55i
      Originally posted by gabl136

Someone is going to exploit you back, I think it is inevitable. You exploit villains high fold to 3bet and at some point he is going to notice it. Then you just adapt and 3bet only very good hands and he will keep calling/4betting. As Hesticus said, when villains fold to 3bet is higher than 64% you can 3bet any hand and it is profitable in the long run.