mediocrity no more

• jbhopko
      jbhopko
      Basic
      Sunday, October 11, 2015

I am ready now to do what it takes to be successful at poker. I have lost sight of what it takes and just settled into to playing soft mtts on soft USA sites. I was not being professional and doing what it takes to achieve success. I am motivated more than ever to do what it takes now. Doing cabinet refacing again is killing my body and making me absolutely miserable. I am not here to feel sorry for myself and blame Merge network not paying me for my demise, because this is simply just not true.

I am taking back control of my life and my pokers. I have worked super hard keep my head above water since my first shot and playing poker fulltime had failed. This is nothing to be ashamed of. I am ready now to start playing poker like a professional and prove to myself that I am not a failure and can pick myself up and do what it takes to be great at this game.

The question I have been asking myself for the past few weeks is: What do I have to do to achieve success at poker? I guess I’ll just make a list of what I want to do.
      Start a poker journal (use it every day)
      Set goals
      Be accountable
      Be prepared (for coaching sessions, poker play and for myself)
      Study everyday (effective studying, don’t spend time mindlessly watching streams)
      Organize all my strategy stuff in a binder
      Do regular drills to improve my poker mind
      Be motivated for everything in life and take it by the balls
      Grind, grind ,grind
      Post hands in forums ( put myself out there)
      Record my play and observe

I have decided to learn and conquer cash games. My bankroll isn’t great right now and cash games fit better into my schedule than Mtts, now that I am working. I need to as a poker player to be able to excel in cash games to consider myself a professional. I plan on focusing on moving from 10nl, 25nl to 100nl. I am going play a lot of volume of cash games and focus my studies on learning cash.

OCTOBER GOALS:

Start/use a poker journal or blog
      Binders for strategy books
      Start working out/stretching/racquetball
      Book a coaching session
      Start the grind (play 30-50k hands)
      determine preflop ranges and adjust them for player types
      Post hands in forums
      Study poker everyday (keep it simple and relaxed on tough work days)
      Find and start reading a books to motivate me as a person
      Record a 15 min live session of poker play each week

Ok I wrote that a week ago and was supposed to be my personal journal. When I came across this site I knew it was for me. I want to be a part of this community. My name is Jeff and I am 44 years old and I am married with 2 kids. I am tired of achieving mediocrity in my life. I want to be a part of something bigger and achieve greater success.

Mediocrity is something I need to rise above and prove to myself that I am better. Hans the great’s blogs were super motivating and the videos that I bought showed me that I was being anything but professional. The amount of preparation alone before his coaching sessions with Gordon spoke wonders to me. Looking back on how I approached poker before is an absolute joke. If I am being honest I probably was the worst student ever and that’s what I want to change more than anything else.

I just had a fortune cookie today that said “the most difficult lessons in life are the ones with the greatest rewards”. I am ready to do things right this time.

I hope this day is the start of something great.

I have been playing mostly @25nl and been about a breakeven player since trying to learn cash games. This is my cash game graph up until today:
  • 13 replies
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Hello jbhopko,

Enjoyed reading your first post entry. And I am sure you will succeed this time! Fortune cookies are normally a good sign! It also looks like you have a good plan of action. I look forward to reading future post.
      A challenge that you may be interested that has really helped me is the Bank roll challenge Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge - Opt-in now!
      Good luck at the tables and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

My regards

Matt
    • jbhopko
      jbhopko
      Basic
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Hello jbhopko,
      To insert graphics there are 2 ways to do this.

1. (Simplest) Just drag and drop your graphic into your blog.

2. If you wish to use a external site like photobucket.

1. Select the DIRECT link and it will be copied to clipboard.

2. In the blog text editor select the IMAGE icon which will bring up a dialog window as described in point 3 below.

3. Paste (Ctrl +V) and submit.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Matt
    • jbhopko
      jbhopko
      Basic
      thank you so much. I will fix as soon as I get a chance
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      I have fixed the graph already :f_wink:

Other problem for posting pictures that you need to have the bronze status.
      The easiest way to get it is to use 1 of our free money offers on a poker room you don’t have an account yet.

Good luck with blogging :gl:

Cheers,
      SDK1987
    • jbhopko
      jbhopko
      Basic
      This first week playing was a bit tough and I didn’t get the volume in I wanted yet. My job this week was a full weeks worth or physical demanding work. This has made me realize the volume of poker I am able to play every week is going to be dependent on the size of the kitchen cabinet refacing job that is assigned to me. I will have a 3 day job on many weeks, but sometimes I will have a full week that is going to wipe me out. With all this being said, I am going to have a minimum goal of 10k hands every week. I will just have to make sure I make up for the lost volume during my tough work weeks on the weekends.

I need to get these first 10k hands done as soon as possible and send them in. I can see this is the first step to moving forward and learning is setting the foundation and sticking to the advanced ranges. Ok it is time to get to work. LETS DO THIS!!!!!
    • jbhopko
      jbhopko
      Basic
      I just finished my first 10k hands and got database analysis back, it is clear about the spots I am missing now. I am making some errors how I play versus 3bets and I have some flop cbet mistakes. I will be making sure I focus on these spots.

My results were affected by both some mistakes I am making and some run bad that affected my play. Anyways here are my results for my first 10k hands. I am ready to crush it on my next 10k hands.
    • jbhopko
      jbhopko
      Basic
    • jbhopko
      jbhopko
      Basic
      I haven’t played poker in a few days . My job this week was pretty tough again. I set a goal last week of playing 10k hands for the week. I id hit my goal for the week. It wasn’t smart because in order to hit the number I played tired last day and was making too many mistakes. In the future I am not going to set volume goals because my work week isn’t always the same. I have come to the realization that I wont be able to go through this courses as quickly as others because a I work fulltime at the moment. I am also coming to the realization that following this system will lead to success. Here are my results from last week Nov 8-14 2015
    • jbhopko
      jbhopko
      Basic
    • jbhopko
      jbhopko
      Basic
      This weekend was a huge bummer for me. I was getting back spasms all week and weekend from my job to the point where I couldn’t even play poker. I want to succeed at poker so fucking bad and this shit is really fucking me up. The back spasms have finally subsided and I am ready to get to business of poker.

One of the biggest problems I have is doing homework, posting hands and being able to evaluate myself after I play. One the flipside I am very good at creating charts and a plan of action. I decided is to play 1k hands and have a checklist of what to do after those hands are done and I can move on to the next 1k hands. I am going to keep it simple and keep to this
      1. Post minimum of 1 hand in the forum
      2.Enter homework in my blog
      3. reply to minimum one hand in the forum
      4.go over all marked hands played in the 1k session
      I need to create new habits, because my current ones suck or don’t exist.
    • jbhopko
      jbhopko
      Basic
    • jbhopko
      jbhopko
      Basic
      I am looking forward to the new year and crushing at the tables. I looking forward to that breakthrough moment for me. It is up to me to make it happen. It will happen soon and I am not going to quit until it does.

These are the main focuses for me 2017:

Family:

I love my wife and 2 boys and this is an integral part of my success. I plan on making date night for me and my wife and have a family night every week.

Heath:

There is no question about it that the pain in my knees and my back from my job are holding me back physically and mentally for being successful at poker. I plan on workout out every day alternating strength training with yoga/cardio. I need to keep myself strong and flexible. I hope this will make a difference in how my job effects me physically. I also am getting back into racquetball again and want to get back to the level of play I was at at my peak and be able to play in the open division.

Poker:

I need to keep moving forward in . I am letting things outside of poker effect my progress . I need to get over this fucking hurdle. This is the year I crush at the tables

Work:

Obviously I want poker to be my work, but I have to earn that again. I just need to stay positive and do everything in my power to crush here too. I need to be productive and not let my work affect me negatively both physically and mentally.

These 4 categories is where my focus needs to be every single day. The mental aspect of what I want to achieve has been mind fucking me. My life is a bit complicated and I have a ton of pressures. Its time I fix this and develop a mindset that will crush in life. Come with me on this journey. Help save my fucking life.