handling badbeats

• ukcoolcat
      ukcoolcat
      Bronze
      was just wondering how some of you handle badbeats, especially at the start of a downswing?

i have been playing holdem a little while now and have just converted to fr fl, i notice that suckouts occur more often in fl as fishies chase down almost anything, and almost always seem to hit on the river to give them the pot X( .

last night was a bad night for me, my 2pr was getting beaten by sets, my sets were beaten by str8's etc etc etc, think you get the picture, in the beginning i was accepting the beats but after 2hrs of this i decided to close the pc down and call it a night...................felt like tuff fish in the end!
  • 4 replies
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Yeah if I get more then a bad beat or do a bad play I take a break.
      Once you feel frustration or anger you have to stop playing right away and do something else for a while.
    • ukcoolcat
      ukcoolcat
      Bronze
      last night picked up where it left off the night before, was down almost 100bb overall, although in the end did start to come back a little, back to approx -60bb, but was still pretty grim stuff, just like the song 'and the beat goes on........'

i read somewhere that you should be philosophical about downswings as they are part of the game...........................easier said than done! ;(
    • Jaime001254
      Jaime001254
      Bronze
      i think every downswing od badbeat makes you tougher...
      you gain experience and your tilting almost dissapears
    • ukcoolcat
      ukcoolcat
      Bronze
      just an example of what's happening at the moment, last night i was playing, fr fl, everyone folds round to the button, he raises, i'm sitting in the big blind with pkt 3's, not a big hand i know, but for a blind defence it's ok, sb folds i call, hoping to hit my set(if not i'm folding!), flop comes, k73 rainbow, i hit my set, happy days, flop gets capped, turn 10, turn gets capped, river 2, river gets capped, villain shows pkt k's! lol what a cooler, odds of that happening? greater when you're on a downswing? not really, just feels like it, oh well onwards and upwards. :rolleyes:

have not been playing fl for very long, and have noticed that variance seems to be greater, more players call you down with poor hands, but in the long run they're the ones making the mistakes, that's where the profit comes from.

as you say jaime, it does make you stronger as a player, have gone over some of the hands where i've lost badly, and must say that at all the key moments i've put my money in ahead(apart from the above hand), so i don't think i'm tilting, just the variance factor kicking in for a while.