New online player. Progress, achievements and stray thoughts

• DiscoLemonade
      DiscoLemonade
      Bronze
      Welcome to my blog. I have decided to create a blog to share my progress, achievements, and to throw around my stray thoughts, as the title suggests.

TL;DR - I've been playing poker for a long time, constantly learning and adapting my game. playing online for a month, needing to have a different mindset for online vs live. not liking low stakes SnG's, but surprisingly, I'm enjoying Spin and Go's, which I didn't think I would. Considering setting a BR challenge type thing for myself in Spin and Go's.

Firstly, a little bit about me. I have a Full-time job and am studying a Certificate III. My attitude towards my job is 100% positive, it is in my dream job industry, and am studying to reach my goals of owning a business. I got into poker when I was 13. I'm now 22. I first started playing a WSOP mobile game, and that's what it was for me, a video game. I started researching poker basics a little bit, mainly how to play poker (lol).

7 years later, a friend invites me to a Live poker club, and my game was very basic at the start, but I do more research and expanded my game. The club tracks statistics (games, wins, bounty [eliminating last games winner], chops [last place finishes], average position, the list goes on], and I am on the verge of becoming the 7th player to hit 300 games. That being said, the club is very LAG heavy. 52o is a favourite hand among some members. One member has unbelievable luck with 72. It makes play unpredictable, but I've found TAG play, and sometimes over betting, is very strong tactically. fortunately It's been working.

To online poker, I started playing online poker 1 month ago. What I want from poker is a secondary income. Now, I have said I have expanded my game in Live games, online I feel I need to start looking into more strategy, playing position, opponent ranges, I need to play very tight, etc. [Stray thought: Online, AJ gets dominated way more than I expect it to]

Toyed around with low stakes SnG's, namely 2c and 11c. Have decided they aren't worth it for me.

Knew about spin and go's, but haven't really been a fan of the idea. UNTIL I won some tickets from a promo, watched a youtube vid about Spin and go's, and have had some success. probably 30-40% win rate, which I am happy with. You can say I have room to improve (or "bro, 30% is rubbish"), and I would agree and seek to improve on it. But I can maybe see me setting a BR challenge for myself in them, using a spreadsheet and notes to set a capital, and keep track of my winnings and losses, separate to my overall BR. Ps. I love spreadsheets and note taking.

I think that will do for now. But I'm going to consider this my intro to this blog. I hope anyone that reads it enjoys the journey. I intend to make regular updates.

Thanks for reading :)
  • 3 replies
    • vonki
      vonki
      Coach
      Coach
      GL on your journey! :f_thumbsup:
    • DiscoLemonade
      DiscoLemonade
      Bronze
      PROGRESS AND ACHIEVEMENTS OF FIRST MONTH.

My first experience with online poker. Started with low stakes SnG's. Quite a few 2c 990 player tournaments. Nothing special, but even in these hyper loose all in fests I notice something. What I consider monster starting hands, get dominated all the time. KQ is a great hand in the Live club, 'Super Poker Men'. Online, it's beat pre flop A LOT.

Start researching online strategy. One message is repeated. 'Play tight and play agressive'. My range has reduced significantly already. J9s, a personal favourite in live games, is a fold online. Need to study position, and perhaps I'll find myself creating ranges for each seat. who knows, just a thought.

MY FIRST CASH!!

This was a super exciting moment for me. 40th/2005. 11c game so not a lot going on as far as money goes, but I think it's more about going deep in a big field. knowing I've done it once, is enough evidence to know I can do it again and perhaps go deeper. maybe even to a final table. Just need to continue learning and adjusting my game.

MY FIRST FINAL TABLE

Another exciting moment. I remember it pretty well. I still had work to do as It was a 45 man tournament. Wasn't ITM yet. There was a clear chip leader, about 2.5x to 3x the next highest stack. Then a few players with mid sized stacks and 3 short stacks. First 2 players went in the same hand and I was in the money. unfortunately I was next out, but 7th and ITM was a good result imo.

Perhaps there's opportunity for learning here. I widened my range, playing any broadway, and any pockets 8+. Would this be considered a mistake 7-handed? Should I have remained super tight? I know playing super tight could have meant moving up the payouts. Perhaps it was my strategy of open shoving any picture cards? I do remember that I lost a flip. unlucky. KQ v KJ, J on the flop. oh well.

Anyway that does it tonight. Double post, yeah, but I'm just playing catch-up. Only thought about making a blog over the weekend, and I would have, but got caught up studying online strategy.

Will end the night with creating my first goal for online poker:
      [*] Construct a Spin and Go bankroll plan or ladder. (feel free to make suggestions)
    • DiscoLemonade
      DiscoLemonade
      Bronze
      5 tournaments tonight. Busted out really early in 2. The other 3 I started really well, but noticed a leak in my tournament game. I ease up on aggression once I have a large stack and play even tighter than I was before gaining the chips. I'm thinking this is the opposite of what I should do. I need to keep presence at the table and put pressure on small to small-medium stacks. I think I might try and put this strategy into practice tomorrow night maybe.

On a high note, I made the money on one of the tournaments. 150th/2700~. It was a progressive bounty super KO or something. Had a good feel, will have to try another and maybe try going for KO's in good spots because I only eliminated one player in this one. I also think I made too many of my decisions to enter or fold a hand based on Jivaro, or perhaps just study up on how to make better use of it. Also my reads were not ideal.

Also, tried a ring game last night after my previous post. 1c/2c blinds (is this called NL2 for it's $2 max buyin?). Felt like I crushed the opposition, and used the same strategy I did for Spin and Go's but slightly tighter. Maybe add some ring games to my schedule tomorrow night.