Brain Gains for Cash Gains

• iwanD
      iwanD
      Bronze
      My last blog got removed so here is a new one with no issues now, hopefully. Here's the intro again. I'll continue with the updates where I stopped the last time.

I started playing poker seriously after I dropped out of college somewhere in 2011. I was playing on ipoker for about a year, or a bit more, basically bumhunting HU super turbos. I played mostly $50 and $100 buy-ins and taking shots at $200 when there were weaker players sitting. After the ipoker network split at the end of 2012, the playing field got a bit thin on my room with more regs remaining. That made me not play a lot in 2013. In 2014 I switched to PokerStars. I started playing Zoom games and had to drop down to 10NL and basically staying break-even until now so I started looking for coaching which brings me here.

Now I’m eager to learn new stuff and improve myself and my game during and after coaching. Here’s the graph of my hands from PokerStars. Unfortunately, I don’t have the hands from my ipoker period because I lost them with my old pc, but it doesn’t matter because this is basically the state of my game right now.

• 39 replies
    • iwanD
      iwanD
      Bronze
      After having only winning updates in the last blog, I finally have a losing one now. After some rakeback I lost 11 BIs.

I still have a lot of material to go through. I need to study more often. I’ll still try to play 4k hands per day.

Profit: €567 / €10.000
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      friendly advice for you as someone who spent his entire career at stars: go somewhere else to play, it'll be much easier to climb up the limits. It's very demotivating to keep breaking even at lower stakes, which was a problem I often faced.

Personally I did try to transition away from stars plenty of times in the past but I always got wrecked at new sites when I deposited 10BIs at a time.

I think most people overvalue the importance of good software but to be honest, softness of the field is by far the single most important factor for one's win-rate.
    • iwanD
      iwanD
      Bronze
      Thanks so much for the advice. After this update I will start playing at the other sites too.

Played small number of hands last week. I was doing some theory and had a day off. Now I need to concentrate on playing more hands. Still playing on NL10. I’ll play 4.5k hands more on NL10 and then move up.

Profit: €565 / €10.000
    • iwanD
      iwanD
      Bronze
      I’ve started playing on NL20. Lost a few buy-ins after 13k hands so I’m looking forward to playing more. Still the same profit after the rakeback.

In between playing I’m going through the coaching course so hopefully that’ll help too.

Profit: €564 / €10.000
    • iwanD
      iwanD
      Bronze
      Lost few more buy-ins on NL20 so I’ve moved back down to NL10.

I need to play more hours now and gonna continue doing my homework assignments for coaching so hopefully I’ll fix myself soon.

Profit: €462 / €10.000
    • iwanD
      iwanD
      Bronze
      I was on NL10 since the last update. Played less hands since I’m not playing fast formats anymore.

I’m going to add more tables now and gonna try to play at least 50 hours this week.

Profit: €454 / €10.000
    • iwanD
      iwanD
      Bronze
      I didn’t play a lot in the new year’s week so I skipped one update. I’m playing only regular tables now and I’m more careful about table selection so things feel a bit better now. I was playing a mix of NL10 and NL20. Also, received last month’s rakeback so my profits went up a bit.

Profit: €706 / €10.000
    • iwanD
      iwanD
      Bronze
      I didn’t play a lot in the new year’s week so I skipped one update. I’m playing only regular tables now and I’m more careful about table selection so things feel a bit better now. I was playing a mix of NL10 and NL20. Also, received last month’s rakeback so my profits went up a bit.

Profit: €706 / €10.000
    • iwanD
      iwanD
      Bronze
      I was expecting better results after moving to regular tables. I’ll have to add more tables and play more hours to regularly make any decent volume. I’m gonna play NL10 until I get a decent winrate.

Profit: €745 / €10.000
    • iwanD
      iwanD
      Bronze
      Here’s my latest graph. Nothing much changed. I have increased my hours and gonna increase more. Profits are up mostly from rakeback.

Profit: €919 / €10.000
    • iwanD
      iwanD
      Bronze
      I’ve lost a number of buy-ins on NL10 regular tables so my profits went down a bit. Now I’m playing NL5 fast tables so I can put in a bigger volume which I need to progress through the coaching chapters faster.

Profit: €844 / €10.000
    • iwanD
      iwanD
      Bronze
      I’ve been playing mostly NL5. Last 6k hands are NL10. Now I’m going through one coaching video per day and then playing 7-8 hours.

Profit: €926 / €10.000
    • iwanD
      iwanD
      Bronze
      I was playing NL10 since the last update. Last two days went pretty bad so now I’ll play a bit more of NL5. My profit remained the same because of the rakeback.

Profit: €925 / €10.000
    • iwanD
      iwanD
      Bronze
      I sucked a bit more on NL10 so I’ll be playing NL5 until the end of the month. Graph is a mix of NL10 and NL5. Where it goes down is mostly NL10 and where it goes up is mostly NL5 :)

Profit: €894 / €10.000
    • iwanD
      iwanD
      Bronze
      I’ve been playing NL5 now so graph looks better this time. Next week I’ll move to NL10 again.

Profit: €985 / €10.000
    • iwanD
      iwanD
      Bronze
      Playing NL10 now. I played a bit lower number of hands than I wanted so I’ll try to improve that. Graph look okay now so hopefully it will stay that way (or get better).

Profit: €1167 / €10.000
    • iwanD
      iwanD
      Bronze
      Things are still going okay at NL10. I played a bit more hands now, but I still need to increase my hours this month. Hopefully, I’ll keep this up.

Profit: €1383 / €10.000
    • Michaelvb101
      Michaelvb101
      Bronze
      Can you posf your stats?
    • woodmo
      woodmo
      Bronze
      I get a feeling you should try to decrease your hours/hands/tables and start focusing a bit more on your game instead. And then when your game is better, you should try adding tables one by one after time.