Running bad/ Downswing. How to overcome it without effecting your strategy.

• Bobuffalo3
      Bobuffalo3
      Basic
      The past week, i won a 4-max MTT. Since that win, i have being running pretty terrible. I play 5Nl 4 table zoom, and usually win 2-4 Buy ins per session. If im running not that good, i tend to break even. Or lose 1-2 buy ins at most. But the last 20 sessions have been at a loss. I lose %75 of the All in pots. I struggle to read players ranges as there are different & new regulars on every session i play. I make notes on how they play at every chance. The pots that destroy me, is when i play Overpairs from QQ+ I get completely crushed by Baby pair sets, or AA v.s KK. Runner runner, the old typical brag on how bad you run. But strategy wise, i feel im making the overall correct decisions in the long run. Playing with no fear. But with selective aggressive style. Not forcing the action. Playing patiently. 3-bet Active. Bluff boards based on the board texture & the range i think the most likely my opponent will have.

Overall im Down 38 Buy-ins. On 5nl. My strategy is the same as when i'm up 12 buy ins in one session. Or just playing consistent & winning gradually. I think taking a long breather is the best way to counter such a downswing. What would you suggest Admin? Or anybody :pcuser:
  • 6 replies
    • Bobuffalo3
      Bobuffalo3
      Basic
      Up $50 on 5NL. Same strategy. Just a matter of time before things swing in the right direction. 10 buy ins. Down 26 buy ins still.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Bobuffalo3,

Hopefully this is just a sign of variance. But you do have to be wary of two things. Being complacent when the cards are running good and expanding the range of hands you play. Or conversely, tightening up when cards are running bad resulting in bad folds.

Run good :gl:

Laz
    • Bobuffalo3
      Bobuffalo3
      Basic
      Yeah that's absolutely true. I have improved on not been as bothered when i'm running down. As you say it can lead to poor Psychological Tendencies in my game play. Other than that keeping to my Strategy is going win in the long run. I've run it up on 5Nl for $200 (40 Buy ins) Last year, and i'm a much better player now. (I havent played this year, up until November i've started to grind back to normal.)

Cheers Bo
    • htghguuh
      htghguuh
      Silver
      Folding to many cards and playing 13%
      Then not folding at all when u think the cards will win.
    • Gawdless73
      Gawdless73
      Bronze
      Downswings are hard, it's best to play through them or better yet reduce hands played and increase study/self play study to make sure it is just variance. If you are playing correctly and losing for a while, just be happy you are playing well and know it will end.
    • Bobuffalo3
      Bobuffalo3
      Basic
      You guys are absolutely right. I can get caught up in 'over calling' in spots that isn't to bad, but zoom is a much different than a standard table obviously. My opponents ranges are Strong usually. I would say if im running dry i tend to get desperate & overplay my hands where if i'm focused & not Tilted i play an optimal game. Note every action my opponents have done, so it can make Decisions Easier I.E 3-betting With clearer justification other than AA KK QQ. (Wider range) Multiple barrel bluffs. Range of hands & Position of type of hands played. Floating C-bets to take away pots, or showdown weaker hands Ect ect...

Overall i'm happy with my game. I am usually above winning player, averaging 1.5 to 3 buy ins Per session. Since running down, I've cooled down, not playing for a while, gather myself mentally, come back into it fresh. My last session Was a 9 Buy in upswing.

Cheers Htgh & G73 for the Pointers, appreciate it heaps :f_drink: Bo