Re-Education Redux - $200 to $10k

• GizziNL
      GizziNL
      Basic
      My Situation
      My name is René. I’m another one of the older guys here at a youthful 44 years. Ten years ago I settled in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, after travelling the globe for work for a good 15 years. I’ve been sharing my life with my girlfriend for the last 12 years. No kids, no pets. I earn my living as a freelance project manager. Outside of work and poker some of the things I’m into are cycling, literature, cooking.

My poker story
      I got into poker in the mid 90’s while living in Washington DC. For years I just played home games (draw and stud mostly) until I discovered online poker in 2005. Played on and off since. Had a few minor successes in tournaments, but nothing spectacular. Cash games have never been a success though, and that irritates me no end. While I enjoy tournaments, I really prefer cash games. That irritation got me to look for help, coaching and/or training, some time ago.
      A couple of weeks later now, I have come to realize that I am more than ready to dive in. And more than ready to start earning some money playing a game I love. Given my lack of success in online cash games to date I decided to go for the NL 6-Max Micro program.
  • 7 replies
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Hello René,

Welcome to Pokerstrategy,

I have edited your blog and removed advertising which is against our forum principles.
      Why I want to join section of your blog
      • It is prohibited to be advertising any offer or on behalf of any affiliate poker site, as well as anything that is funded by the acquiring market.

What ever your skill level Poker Strategy has lots of great articles and forums to help make you make the most of your game.
      PS also host a great video tutorial section for many different games and strategies found here
      Though out the year there are many challenges where you can win status upgrades and other prizes.
      There is also a TaF (Tell a Friend) promotion scheme which will reward you money to help build your bank roll or buy tools with!
      Many members also have there own blogs to help them track there progress and experiences, for example a good place to visit is the 'Learning to win' forum found here

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
      Good luck at the tables.

Regards

Matt
    • GizziNL
      GizziNL
      Basic
      Thx for editing Matt. Never was my intention to advertise.
    • GizziNL
      GizziNL
      Basic
      Two day of 2NL under my belt. A total of 905 hands play. Lots of new stuff to digest. My play was mediocre at best. Made quite a few costly mistakes. Happy with my decision to start at 2NL even though I could bankroll myself for a higher limit. Need to focus on improving my game. Higher limits and profits will follow when I do.

I moved from Pokerstars to William Hill (iPoker) hoping to find a bit weaker opposition and earning a welcome bonus. I making inroads on the second. On the first I do not qualified to have an opinion yet. What I do have an opinion on is their software. Took an hour or so to get used to, but I really like it. That’s a bonus in itself.

Another move I made is from HM2 to PT4. Still getting used to that one, but obviouly the basics for reviewing hands are pretty similar. So no worries there.

Third and biggest new thing is the standard ranges and lines provided. I still working on getting used to them, so for now I rely on the charts quite a lot. Looking up situations has gotten me in trouble a couple of times with timeouts as a result. Yikes. Also in the post-flop part I’m sometimes not sure if I interpret the lines correctly.
    • GizziNL
      GizziNL
      Basic
      Yesterday I sat down to wirte my weekly goals. Here’s what I went with:

Main goal: This past week I made 92 mistakes in 3513 hands (2.65%) as measured by the NOBS filters. The goal for this coming week is to bring down the mistakes below 2%.
      Subgoal #1: This past week I played 3513 hands in 14.38 hours, giving an average of 244 hand per hour. The goal for this coming week is to play at least 280 hands per hour.
      Subgoal #2: This past week I played for 14.38 hours. The goal for this coming week is to play at least 18 hours, which means I will play no less than 5040 hands.
      Subgoal #3: This past week I had one hand that I played tilted (i.e. knowingly played the hand incorrectly). This coming week finish units 3 through 8 of the Tilt Free Today course and play no more than one hand tilted the entire week.

The choice for my main goal was pretty obvious as playing high-quality pre-flop is the main goal for now. My main issues at the moment are time-outs (playing six tables), big blind play and 3bet ranges. I’ll be studying the charts and line more to reduce the number of times that I need to look up stuff while playing. I already made adjustments to my big blind play, so that should help over the next few days.

Subgoals #1 and #2 are about volume. I am limited in my time, given that I hand a 60hr/week job and a wife that deserves attention, but I do want to churn out a good volume. I increased from two-tabling to six-tabling this past week. At six tables I’m not yet comfortable. But when I step back to four tables it feels like relaxation. The goal is to create that feeling at six tables too.

I added subgoal #3 even though I’ve not experienced tilt too much in the past. This last week I did feel the urge to deviate from the standard lines several times because I had a feeling that… I just don’t want tilt to become an issue.

No monetary goals. This last week I lost 9 buy-ins (see chart below), but I’m not woried about that. If I reduce the number of mistakes then profit will come eventually.

http://i67.tinypic.com/nb85zs.png
    • GizziNL
      GizziNL
      Basic
      I’m a fish when it comes to calendars… Really… For my weekly goals I used Saturday as the start of the week. That makes today the third day of my new week. And at 16:30 PM local time that means that almost a third of the week is gone already. Time to view my progress.

Main goal: Less than 2% mistakes playing NoBS as measured by NoBS PT4 filters. Made 46 mistakes in 2542 hands. That’s 1.8%. On track, even though I would have liked to have a bit more of a cushion for lapses of concentration.
      Subgoal #1: Play at least 280 hands per hour. Played 2542 hands in 8.05 hours. That’s 316 hands per hour. On track.
      Subgoal #2: Play at least 18 hours. Should be at ((3/7)*18) = 7.7 hours. On track.
      Subgoal #3A: Study units 3 through 8 of Tilt Free Today. Units 3 through 5 done. On track.
      Subgoal #3B: No more than one hand played tilted. Had that one this morning. Cost me half a buy-in. In dangerzone.

Results have been good over the past few days, thanks to fewer mistakes, less costly mistakes and some old-fashioned run-good. Here’s this week’s graph so far.
      http://i64.tinypic.com/jh58h4.png
    • GizziNL
      GizziNL
      Basic
      Didn't yet post an update on my weekly goals for last week. I attended my first live coaching session and had quite a bit of fun at the tables. But how did I do in achieving my goals?

Main goal: Less than 2% mistakes playing NoBS as measured by NoBS PT4 filters. In 5977 hands I made 118 mistakes, or 1,97%. Success, though it was close.
      Subgoal #1: Play at least 280 hands per hour. Ended at 5977 hands in 19.72 hours for 303 hands per hour. Success.
      Subgoal #2: Play at least 18 hours. Played 19.72 hours. Success.
      Subgoal #3A: Study units 3 through 8 of Tilt Free Today. Units 3 through 11 done. Success.
      Subgoal #3B: No more than one hand played tilted. Had four sessions with tilt play in them. The first three were not too bad. Just one hand in each that I played tilted. But on Thursday I really screwed up. Shows in the results too. So this goal… Failed. Big time.

My results at the table were mostly good this week, except for Thursday as mentioned above.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2mqnite.png

For the new week I created these goals:

Main Goal: Make less than 1.8% mistakes playing NoBS as measured by NoBS PT4 filters.
      Subgoal #1: Play at least 6.000 hands. That’s a little more that the volume from the past week, which might be tricky with holidays coming up. But I want to push myself here as well.
      Subgoal #2: Score less than 5% on Average Error while training with the Uhlvar Equity Trainer over at least 200 hands.
      Subgoal #3: Finish the Tilt Free Today course and use it to have no more than one session aborted due to tilt. Last week I tried to measure in hands, but that just didn’t work. I will now take a break if I tilt and don’t recover the next hand.
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Hello René,

Great work with your goals and it looks like you are doing well in a lot of areas.
      There is a promotion worth having a look at the moment Work hard, play hard with Goal Getter
      This Thursday w34z3l has a 6-max coaching that may be of interest to you and also his previous coaching videos can be found here

Also you can drag and drop graphics and your graphs into your blog if the links don't work.
      I look forward to reading how you are getting on in future posts.

Happy new year.
      Matt