To Hell or To High stakes

• JustinBPC
      JustinBPC
      Basic
      Hi, my name is Justin, i’m 29 and i’m from Ireland. Absolutely delighted to finally get into the program :) My main job for years was playing guitar in a band, covers,weddings and also some original music all over Ireland and from time to time in different places in Europe. More like a constant party than a job for the first few years!! Eventually the day came where i was no longer interested in ruining myself with drink and totally changed to being health orientated. Don’t get me wrong, i do still go out and go nuts but only very rarely and only for a good reason now. 2 years ago, i got really bad tendinitis and lost all power in my left arm for about a year and so had no choice but to stop playing music and started to pursue poker more.

My poker story

I used to play poker from time to time but with all the gigging i never had the time to actually play properly. Then tendinitis struck . After a month or so of being totally pissed off, i started to play poker more frequently and watching videos, subscribing to sites and even got a few lessons off a Pokerstars Pro but at the time i was in no way ready for coaching and didnt really grasp what he was teaching me. I grinded from 2NL up to 25NL and then had a giant downswing that pushed me back to 5NL but i eventually got back to 25NL . That downswing though me a lot and really made me look at how i was playing and only fueled me to recover. Right now i feel very comfortable as a player but i’m looking forward to getting the help to push me above and beyond and to never look back. I have opted for HU instead of 6 max as i prefer it. I feel with the coaching i will be a great HU player.

Getting coached now so ill update my progress here from time to time. Any questions just ask :D
  • 8 replies
    • JustinBPC
      JustinBPC
      Basic
      So a small update on whats going:

So i have been playing just 3 days now at HU. My volume isnt great but i’m trying hard to get down all the things i’ve learned and also looking over notes during play. The first day i was a bit all over the place and did feel a bit overwhelmed, not just from trying to remember everything but also because HU is pretty new to me and it can be totally insane at times. Had a fair few dirty suckouts like top set vs back door straight ect and one thing i’m not used to is the periods where you can hit nothing for 50-70 hands and also have a good lot of failed bluffs when they get lucky and hit the river, thats not a long period but i have been playing just 1 table to concentrate fully. Been pretty god at telling myself “be patient” but i did i have a few spew moments too( :( )

Been spending a good bit of time learning equities, Takes ages but its great.

Next few days i will get in some decent volume. Looking forward to a coaching session :)
    • JustinBPC
      JustinBPC
      Basic
      Update 4:

So my mind is back to almost totally normal after some nasty family shit has finally calmed down. Have a schedule to stick to now with the exception of days where you have to go do things that have to be done. I’m back exercising 6 days out of 7 a week now. Just 1hour a day of high intensity interval training which is my favorite. I find this helps my general mindset to be calmer and also helps to top vertigo coming back, i have also been doing some vertigo exercise too which are pretty much just rapid body movements in quick succession that actual replicate vertigo but this make your brain learn how to make it stop (yeah pretty bananas)

Bought a kick ass ne chair called the GTO XL Evo gaming chair, definitely worth every penny. Amazing comfort and you can adjust all parts of it even the arm rests.

Poker is going well, only thing i have to be careful of is certain types of opponents that i tend to over adapt to and make a mess of things. Also playing them too long. Being very conscious of who i’m playing now and if i see too many things i dont like i just quit them for now until i learn more (there’s so much to learn its crazy).

Anyways i’m feeling good again and off to kick some ass right now, bye 😀
    • JustinBPC
      JustinBPC
      Basic
      Update 5:

So the last week has been a nightmare. Not poker wise but reality wise. Shit just totally hit the fan and there on Friday i thought i was having some sort of breakdown from the emotional stress. I wont say too much on this but basically a family member pushed me to my limits and now they either do what is right and everything will be fine eventually or go there own road and i break all contact with them.

So far they are choosing the “right” path for now and things have calmed down although i still don’t feel 100% mentally sound since it was such intense stress.

My thoughts on this is that right now i’m gonna distance myself so if they go the wrong way i’ll have no more involvement . This person has single handedly fucked up the start of this adventure for me and from right now i can’t allow them to hinder it any further.

Time to focus on this and nothing else.
    • JustinBPC
      JustinBPC
      Basic
      Update 6: Review of November

So November was a hard month due to family circumstances and my volume was dirt but couldn’t really be helped. I did start 50NL in November and settled in pretty well, few spew moments but not many. Felt good when i was able to play and feel confident in the lines.Some hands are missing from the graph as some sites get errors when importing every now and then so profit was around €500

• JustinBPC
      JustinBPC
      Basic
      So plan for December:

Play at least 8 hours a day , 6 days a week

Get to intermediate this month

So far my i have reached 7-8 hours most days but i hit stoploss one of the days very fast and so i spent the next day analyzing all my hands from the previous days. i have been feeling a lack of focus lately but the reason could be i’m not sleeping well and so each day i get up later with less sleep and that is probably why my focus is bad right now. Hopefully this will stop in the next few days or else my only option is to just sleep 7-8 hours no matter what time i go to bed so that i will be fresh when i wake up but im not very fond of getting up at 1p.m and going to bed at 5-6am but i may have no choice. Need proper sleep or i play shit
    • JustinBPC
      JustinBPC
      Basic
      So this is how i got on the last week

This weeks goals:

Longer pre-game preparation – yes

Very strict villain selection – 90% yes

Play 10 hours a day Monday – Saturday (No , made 40 hours but hit stoploss 2 days this week)

Sunday go out for awhile and then some database analysis and study – yes

Do homework suggested in note taking course once per day – Yes on 4 days

Post more hands on the forum (i have been a bit useless with this, me and two of my mates discuss lots of hands on a daily basis but i need to start posting more) -Yes since i got nailed 2 days this week

Sleep pattern has been dreadful, i would have 1 night of great sleep and then next night of rubbish sleep and feel like crap for the day. This went on the whole week.

This weeks goals:

40 hours min, more if possible (busy week outside poker)

Strict villain selection

Read notes as much as possible everyday
    • JustinBPC
      JustinBPC
      Basic
      Holy smokes i forgot to update here for awhile.
      So in January i done a 4k challenge where you had to play 8hrs day and one day off and post 3 hands per day and answer 20 hands.

By the end of the month i had played 220 hours and made a profit of €1500 rack back not included.
      Had 9 days off during the month, well 2 days i got a new PC and built it from scratch and everything went tits up in those 2 days.

A few days off near the end because i got vertigo again and i was totally messed up but im fine now after a heavy does of tablets
      All profit was made at 50NL and 25nl so im pleased with these results. had i had less days not playing it could have been €2000

February
      So im in Intermediate now and have a serious pile of new material and it's class. Its like a whole new door has opened. Coaching the last 7 days in a row too based on new topics. Not much playing so far this month as i had to playt catch up on the new material since the tablets for vertigo only started working the other day but im almost getting a head of it so should get a decent amount of hours in this week.

i'll make sure to update here at least once per week from now on .
      I also started to play 100NL :)
    • JustinBPC
      JustinBPC
      Basic
      Hi guys, forgot to update last week. So whats been happening?

Intermediate:

Well the intermediate material has taken alot longer to get through than i though but the way we have been doing it is great with coaching 5 days a week based on a topic from it in order. I actually finished all the materials last week(cant remember what day) and tried the final test with no prep and got 80% and failed but i was pleased with the result.

Tried it again there on Tuesday after a few days of study and just passed with 90%. Its good but i would have liked higher. in time i will know it inside out. plan now is to study it in blocks each day. Some of the sections take well over an hour to go through your notes so i think like having 30mins worth and reading it as many times ass possible that day will help. Repetition is key with everything.

Playing:

Time at the tables has been a bit low and i sucked for the first half of the month. I was trying to apply new knowledge and was getting confused at times and mis-remebering things. Its been better now as i only use knew stuff if im 100% sure i know what it is. more study the more you remember :)

Thailand:

So the other day out of nowhere, Maestro one of the coaches, said "Anyone up for having a grind house in Thailand for 2 months?"

Myself and another player called Myst had planned on doing this at a later stage and not so soon but we decided fuck it lets do it now :) So the 3 of us will go to Thailand and play loads of poker and have some fun too. The weather in Ireland is so shit i cant wait to go.

I will be joining them at the end of March. Have to wait until then because my sister who live in New Zealand is coming back on the 3rd and i havent seen her in 3 years. a month will still be good and almost be a prequel to how my future will be when i progress further. Plan is to travel the world playing poker and live in different places for 3 months or so at a time.