Crush & Move-Up: Coaching Thread with Asimos

• asimos
      asimos
      Coach
      Coach
      Hello guys.

I decided to summarize /discuss some of the concepts I introduced in the first two live sessions.
      This guide is far from complete, but I think it can be helpful in the direction of crushing the micros.

* I ll might update it in the future. Feel free to ask any questions regarding poker strategy in general or specific plays presented in live sessions. :f_drink:

My basic philosophy regarding poker is based on the following:

[1] I DON'T LIKE THE RULES, SO I WILL USE MY OWN RULES
      [2] I WANT TO PLAY SIMPLE FOR ME.... BUT NOT SIMPLE FOR MY OPPONENTS
      [3] I WILL HAVE FUN AND I WILL WIN
      FUN BC I ENJOY POKER... WIN BECAUSE I WORK HARDER THAN MY OPPONENTS
      FUN BC I WIN AND I WIN BC I HAVE FUN

In particular, in micro stakes (<= 25nl) I suggest the following (*but also applicable higher some of them):
      1) Try to not play blindly according to other people's guidelines / charts etc (they are ok but not optimal for every single spot). Develop your own game plan / strategy depending on the leaks of your opponents but also on your strengths / weaknesses as a player. Know your self, learn your opponents.

2) Game plan should be simple for you, but putting same time difficulties to Villains. Your strategy shouldn't be very obvious to others, but should be very clear to yourself.

3) Bet for value big / play your goods fast --- fold vs aggression --- bluff regs when they show weaknesses.

4) Trust the tells of your opponents, they are going to give out their holdings most of the times.

5) Do not care about what you rep (in most spots), or if you are balanced etc, since people do not pay enough attention.

6) DO NOT LEVEL YOURSELF. Play mostly straightforward, your opponents will make enough mistakes...trust them!!!

For limits >= 50nl zoom:
      1) Know your ranges and how to defend them [DEFENCE].
      2) Start studying the regs... they still have tones of leaks !!! [ATTACK]
      3) Learn how to play 3bet pots / especially oop.
      4) Have a good reason to make a move (i.e. 3bet preflop, x/r post flop etc). Don't play randomly, but based on a game plan constructed out of the tables. :f_drink:
      5) Develop more than one strategies / have more than one weapons in your repertorie... confuse your opponents.
      6) Exploit the fish as usual --- global constant.:f_love: :f_love: :f_love:
  • 23 replies
    • asimos
      asimos
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey guys,
      Since I had a bug in my chat in last live session (25nl zoom) and didn't see some of the questions I ll try to answer some of them below. Also wanted to apologize for any inconvenience caused from my hud flickering ... I ll try to have this solved at next session :)

**Thanks Demon Rax for supplying me with a screenshot with the questions :)

1) U say you don't have bet tells... I do have bet tells myself at stakes below 50nl, since I believe that people do not pay enough attention. My suggestion is to not have bet
      tellings at 50nl or higher vs good regulars... but vs fish or bad regs you can always play exploitably.

2) Why you don't play Spins as the main game? I don't play spins as my main game bc I think that 100nl zoom is more profitable for me. I play them for turning tournaments dollars to dollars though.

3) Are you using custom stats? I use custom stats I created myself with NoteCaddy.

4) How is opening J5s in CO simple play? Opening J5s is not simple play and you don't have to do it to beat 25nl. I play however looser than normal, and I like to open wide (almost any suited from CO but not always) and particularly vs the right Villains (i.e. tight btn etc).

Have in mind though that if it is to play like this you have to be ready to call 3bets oop more than normal. Also some regs will notice your high vip and will start 3betting you more than normal. And this might be proven bad for your win rate if you are not skillful enough. That is, playing a standard 25-30% opening range from CO is a good start.

*Nits are nits but they' ll adapt vs loose openings. If nits would be able to adjust they wouldn't be nits :f_drink: :f_cool: :f_love:

5) Why you push with A7s? Given the odds and that it is 3bet pot I can't x/r / fold with the nut flush draw + over card... and Villain can even call some times with worse!! Also his bet sizing on the flop reveals his strength (bet small = weak is true for some opponents).

6) What supplements are you taking to run like this? I don't take supplements... I am just lucky :f_drink:
    • AndNewww
      AndNewww
      Bronze
      How do I go about taking part in these coaching sessions?
    • asimos
      asimos
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by AndNewww
      How do I go about taking part in these coaching sessions?
      Hey,
      You should have silver status to attend. Next one will be this Tuesday!! :f_drink:
    • orcwarhero
      orcwarhero
      Bronze
      I cannot get the chat window to work. It pops up but I cant chat. Using firefox with adblock
    • asimos
      asimos
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by orcwarhero
      I cannot get the chat window to work. It pops up but I cant chat. Using firefox with adblock
      Sorry about that. This is a technical issue...not much I can do. Maybe start another thread, sb from ps technical stuff should respond :f_drink:

You can watch the vids later though, since session is recorded, and mark your queries. Then you can post here any questions and I ll do my best to answer :f_drink: :f_drink:
    • orcwarhero
      orcwarhero
      Bronze
      Ok thx. :)
    • Sorinel11
      Sorinel11
      Bronze
      thanks
    • klauber
      klauber
      Bronze
      tank you
    • Robertzv
      Robertzv
      Bronze
      Hey , can not open page , any idee why ?
    • sorynake12
      sorynake12
      Bronze
      ¨Know your ranges and how to defend them¨

What ranges do you use for Zoom ?
    • asimos
      asimos
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by sorynake12
      ¨Know your ranges and how to defend them¨

What ranges do you use for Zoom ?

Hey, I am making a series for every position, playing loose.. and you have the gold status, so you could find the info you requested there :)

This is the link of the first video / theory part regarding UTG play:
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/39588/
    • Robertzv
      Robertzv
      Bronze
      I have no ideea what is that , :) i just know that i click on green button , a new page opens , but is blank ! Maybe i need to instal smth ! Blah !
    • sorynake12
      sorynake12
      Bronze
      Thank you for your answer Asimos.
    • Manari16
      Manari16
      Bronze
      :f_drink: :f_drink: :f_drink: :f_drink: :f_drink:
    • asimos
      asimos
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey guys,
      I am looking for a 20nl+ pre-recorded session for future live coaching :) :f_drink: :f_drink: :f_drink:
    • mathkid
      mathkid
      Bronze
      Asimos,

What time Tuesday? I'm on USA EST Time
    • asimos
      asimos
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by mathkid
      Asimos,

What time Tuesday? I'm on USA EST Time