Taking my game to the next level 6-max PLO

• Fiber22
      Fiber22
      Bronze
      I am plo grinder from Finland. For a while now, my winnings have come from rakeback, so now I am going to take my game to the next level. I this journal I am going to post my graphs, calculations, studies and all poker related what I can come up with. Let the journey begin!
  • 17 replies
    • Fiber22
      Fiber22
      Bronze
      FUNDAMENTALS

Now I am starting to concentrate my own game more closely. I am not going mind my opponents game(although it should be taken into consideration), who just sucked out on me, or is 3-betting me like crazy. I will focus on my own game. Low stakes can be crushed with a solid PREFLOP game, where you don’t put yourself in too tough situations and you often have better hand or better draw when pots get big. I am going to build my fundamentals step by step and I’ll start by concentrating next few days on my UTG and MP opening ranges. After 2 days I check all my UTG and MP opens and compare how well did they match ranges below. These are also my general ranges on the BLINDS when I defend against UTG or MP open. If there are many callers I will add some hands that flop strong hands (like KKxxos, QQxxss) .

UTG and MP OPENING RANGES

AAXX

KKxxss

QQxxds

AKQQ-QQJ8ss

AKJJ-JJT7ds/ss

AsQQx, AsJJx

QJTT-TT98ds/ss

AKQJ-T987ds/ss

AKQT-JT97ds/ss

AQJT, KJT9ds/ss

AsKQx-AsJTx

BBBxds (B = Broadway card)

medium connectors + NFD AsT98-876ds/ss

good doublepairs (bigger pair 8 or higher) ~QQ22-8877

PS. Ranges are taken from 2+2 GoGetAReal Job’s post
    • nsavov
      nsavov
      Silver
      Hello and welcome! Congrats on the blog.

QQ22 seems awful, maybe u can limp it EP if there are fishes in the blinds and only raise it if its DS? All in all it looks like its going to be interesting!

Good luck :f_drink:
    • Fiber22
      Fiber22
      Bronze
      Originally posted by nsavov
      Hello and welcome! Congrats on the blog.

QQ22 seems awful, maybe u can limp it EP if there are fishes in the blinds and only raise it if its DS? All in all it looks like its going to be interesting!

Good luck :f_drink:
      It would be interesting to see good players database if he can play those big pair-small pair combos profitably. At least there is some deception and some nuttiness to the hand and its easy to play. Good doublepair as GGRJ wrote it in 2+2 probably means that there is also something else in the hands other than 2 pairs.
    • Fiber22
      Fiber22
      Bronze
      Did some equity calculation with Rundowns against different 3-bet ranges:

5% 3-betting range

Single suited rundowns have 40%ish when they are under 9 (9876ss, 8765s,…). When another suit is added, there is approxmately 3% more equity. So 9876ds vs top 5% is 43/57.

Bigger rundowns start to have domination issues. F.e KQJTss and AKQJss have only 36%. KQJTds and AKQJds on the other hand have 40,3 and 40,7% equity.

15% 3-betting range

Single suited rundowns have 40%ish when they are under 9 (9876ss, 8765s,…)

Bigger the rundown, more it has equity against 15% range; KQJTss has 42%, and AKQJss has almost 49%. Double suited AKQJds has 52%, but KQJTds has only 46%. So even against 15% range, it is important to have ace in the hand if you are going to 4-bet.
    • Fiber22
      Fiber22
      Bronze
      Let’s continue with gappers. I changed to pokerjuice so that ranges are more representative. F.e OOP betting ranges include more playable hands, like rundowns and doublesuited hands and not so many hand with face value, but not so much playability (f.e. AAxxos). PJ has only 4% and 6% range so we will use 6%

6% range

Against tight range it does not matter much if you have gaps in rundowns or danglers: 9873ss, 9865ss, 9765ss, 9854ss all have 38-40% equity. These hand flop good in boards that does not hit 6% particularly well . Even trashy hand like T852ss has 37% equity against 5% range and it does not matter if suited cards are T-high or 5-high. If you hit same flush, you are dominated anyway.

15% range

Against 15% same priciples apply, equity is just little higher. 9873ss, 9865ss, 9765ss, 9854ss all have 38-41% equity. T852ss has 38% and it is marginally better to be suited to T than 5 (1% difference).

Gaps in high rundowns do not have big effect in equity: KQJTss and KQT9 have the same equity against 15% 46-54

With Ace in the hand equity goes up (suited to ace): AKQ9ss, AKQTss, AKT9ss and AKJTss have 49, 51, 51 and 51% equity respectively.
    • Fiber22
      Fiber22
      Bronze
      Checked my UTG and MP opening ranges. UTG is pretty much according to table few posts back. From MP I am opening little wider than I probably should. I start to open looser in long sessions, where concentration is not best anymore.

I was losing in both positions, but much less in UTG so maybe tightening up from MP is a good idea. Sample is very small though. I am improving, but I still should pay more attention to players behind me when I open from UTG and MP. If there is loose players or aggressive 3-bettors, range should be way tighter. When there are nits behind me in CO and BTN, I can open more hands and expect to play more in position against blinds.

Opening from CO or BTN I pay much more attention to players behind me.
    • Fiber22
      Fiber22
      Bronze
      https://farm1.staticflickr.com/743/23632946592_6b3ec76bd3_h.jpg

Bad running, terrible playing, just awful river calls. This is a little longer period than week. Had more set over sets than my last 2 months combined. Also a lot of ugly rivers. What is uglier, after those gutshots came through on the river, I was going for thin value and paid most of those check-raises. Lot of money lost on plain bad calls on river. Usually those calls are a result of running bad long, but I really have to get rid of them. Now I’ll start watching those Tilt Free Today -videos :)
    • Fiber22
      Fiber22
      Bronze
      Ok. First month was not that good. At first terrible run and after some time f-game. I really need to keep my concenration when running bad. I lose my focus and confidence too easy.

Had a long break during holidays, therefore did not play many hands last month. Not that is going to change also. I have already improved my preflop game and trying to pick my spots better for 3-bets. It has already showed good resuls in the last few days, but running better is also making things easier so time will tell. This week I am going to focus on 1) CBETTING -picking my spots according to villain. Being aggressive and cbetitng a lot, but also thinking about future streets and folding equity. 2) 3BETTING -3betting more IP, little less OOP and trying not to put myself in too tough spots. Thinking about opponents ranges and 3betting accordingly
    • Rhodriguez
      Rhodriguez
      Gold
      I want to show my sympathy. But at the same time I'm a little nosy and hope it's not too touchy at the moment. In the entry post you wrote you made your winnings from rakeback but now fig. speaking one week was worse than two normal months combined. How much off is this line compared to you're average line? Would the ev-line be a good estimator? Just that I can put the informations into proportion.

But I'm happy to see you stand your ground. I'm sure with your work ethics you on the right track and pivot that line in no time!
    • Fiber22
      Fiber22
      Bronze
      That is bigger swing than usual in a week especially, because that is mostly PLO50. Usual RB playing PLO50 and 100 is somewhere between 2k and 3k depending on network. Rb is not included in those graphs. I have had bigger swings, because my winrate is non-existent. That is also a good reason to improve my game.
    • T3rMiT3
      T3rMiT3
      Silver
      Hello there, nice blog you have here. On what sites are you playing and what % of rakeback do you get?
      Thank you and good luck!
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      Instead of pure preflop equity you should also think about flop distribution. Like when you compare 9c8h6c5d and Tc8h5c2d against 15% range, the raw equity is 41% and 38%. So they look like the same. But if you see the equity on different flops, you can see that they have up to 10% equity difference abou 35% of the flops. So 1 out of three times the equity vs. 15% range is signifantly different on the flop. Of course here the difference is a bit small, but the idea is to show the playability aspect besides just raw preflop equity. Red is T852 and the other is 9865.

Also if you check KK72r preflop equity vs. 15% range it is 46%. T987ds has 43%. According to just preflop equity KK72r would be better hand to play, which is HUGE mistake to think. If opponent 3bets with 15% range, KK72r is instafold and T987 is instacall.

In PLO you shouldn't be looking too much preflop equity, when there are stacks to play postflop.
    • Fiber22
      Fiber22
      Bronze
      Originally posted by T3rMiT3
      Hello there, nice blog you have here. On what sites are you playing and what % of rakeback do you get?
      Thank you and good luck!

I play many sites. RB, races and bonuses can add up to 60%.
    • Fiber22
      Fiber22
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kyyberi
      Instead of pure preflop equity you should also think about flop distribution. Like when you compare 9c8h6c5d and Tc8h5c2d against 15% range, the raw equity is 41% and 38%. So they look like the same. But if you see the equity on different flops, you can see that they have up to 10% equity difference abou 35% of the flops. So 1 out of three times the equity vs. 15% range is signifantly different on the flop. Of course here the difference is a bit small, but the idea is to show the playability aspect besides just raw preflop equity. Red is T852 and the other is 9865.

Also if you check KK72r preflop equity vs. 15% range it is 46%. T987ds has 43%. According to just preflop equity KK72r would be better hand to play, which is HUGE mistake to think. If opponent 3bets with 15% range, KK72r is instafold and T987 is instacall.

In PLO you shouldn't be looking too much preflop equity, when there are stacks to play postflop.

Thanks! I have done that a bit. Polar hands flop seldom but hard and play better in deep multiway pots. Merged hands make playable hands more often as they hit more flops and are better in HU pots. Also bought Pokerjuice. Great tool and it has lot of features! Just takes time learn how to operate it.
    • ZeroDegrees
      ZeroDegrees
      Bronze
      Hi Fiber22!
      Was really glad seeing your blog as I play Omaha too. Interesting! About the losses; it's not uncommon to lose when you're starting a blog and trying to improve. Will be following, GL!
    • Fiber22
      Fiber22
      Bronze
      Thanks guys for support and I wish you luck in your own endeavours! Let this year be the most successfull ever!
    • Fiber22
      Fiber22
      Bronze
      1st 11 days. Continuing where I left off last year: