Thoughts about Slowplaying in HiLo

• PidKoker
      PidKoker
      Global
      I found that slow playing strong high hands is only valuable in sitations where you have an unbeatable Hi hand with many lo hands still in the pot OR when you have a strong HiLo hand like the Wheel or a low with a flush against many opponents who will continue chasing and betting. Other than those can you think of any other reasons to slow play. I usually play an Aggressive game when it comes to Stud HiLo, the only time to slow down i see is maybe 7th street if the pot becomes too large.
  • 3 replies
    • kukkiwonBG
      kukkiwonBG
      Bronze
      Maybe having two big draws (one high, one low) and with many opponents in the pot. You know that you have tons of outs to at least one very big hand and you want the pot to grow to have more value only from half pot.

Other situation I can think is on 4th street, when you hit very big hand (draw), but with your two face down cards. Just calling to represent weak draw, weak made hand and check/raise next street.

Best regards,
      kukkiwonBG
    • nanowarrior
      nanowarrior
      Bronze
      in stud8 i never slowplay, unless i have a (semi)unbeatable high hand and playing against only high hands which cannot draw to low.

if you have a high hand against multiple lo draws you're not slowplaying, you're getting freerolled...
    • Jim9137
      Jim9137
      Bronze
      Slowplaying in Stud8 in general is not a very good idea. But as mentioned, lock high and lock low hands (wheel, fullhouse, quads etc and in some cases rolled up trips to a degree) can warrant slowplaying to a) get more value or b) disguising your strength to keep people drawing to same direction as you are.

Another case where you don't want to necessarily be aggressive - and potentially get priced out against a hand that is not going out anywhere - is with strong draws in small pots. But you must have at least nut draw to one direction to warrant this play, because otherwise it's actually beneficial to you to have either high or low hand to fold.

On a second thought, on microlimits no one folds a draw. So it might be more beneficial to play check-call on fifth instead of checkraising while achieving nothing but invest more money with your draw. :p