Work? nah. School? nah. Poker? YES!

• sMatti
      sMatti
      Basic
      My situation

Hi there, I’m a 24 year old kid from Belgium who has been wandering through life without a purpose or meaning for the last 7ish years. I’ve never really known what I wanted to do with my life. Tried University, didn’t like it and got outta there pretty fast. Then i decided to start working in chemistry. It was an awesome job for a while, I loved working in shifts (cause fuck 9-5), made a decent amount of money but after a while it started getting really boring, so I quit like I always do when shit stops being a challenge. I thought to myself: “hmm maybe now I’m ready for some education again” and so I started an education in Computer Sciences. That was 1 year and a half ago.

At first it was pretty nice, I always like learning new things and being knowledgeable in different fields is pretty important to me. Until I started to realize that all it’s been doing is preparing me to work a 9-5 job for someone who happily takes all the profit and tosses me a few crumbs every month… No thanks!

My poker story

So this is where poker comes in! When I was 16, poker was a pretty big part of my life, I used to play homegames with my allowance, with people who had no clue at all about poker… I’m not saying I was some sort of genius, but at least I knew which hands beat which… This allowed me to breeze through life without ever having to do some sort of real job while i was studying! Win! Anyway, after a while I quit (probably tilt issues, I had a pretty horrible temper).

But when I embarked on my Computer Sciences journey, I fell in love with poker again. I love the depth this game provides, how challenging it is and I can totally see myself studying and playing this game full-time for a big part of my life. The only problem is, I feel a bit lost in this giant sea of poker knowledge and while I was playing, I felt a bit lost as well. I just went in without a strategy, did pretty well cause I’m a pretty perceptive person. There’s one problem though, I have no network of poker players, none of my current friends have any notion of how to play and I felt that I was going to progress way too slow without some outside help.

Why I want to join the program

I found out about the program on the 2+2 forums and it immediately caught my eye. I like a no bullshit approach to learning new things (unlike the people in the educational system…) and it looked professional, definitely +EV for the situation I currently find myself in. I am currently enrolling in the micro stakes program even though I have enough money to start the 6-max crusher program, I’m pretty sure the micro stakes is where I currently belong. I do however plan to continue with the crusher program as soon as I finish this one!

My goals are to finish this micro-stakes program (duhh..) and subsequently the 6-max crusher program in a total of 18-20 months. I’ve made sure my other obligations are at a minimum, so I can fully focus on this. I’ve already had access to the no-bs 6-max guide and have already started studying these lines. It’s quite a change from the styles I tried playing before, so I’m drilling in the lines first, one table at a time before I start trying to use them while multi-tabling.

Which actually brings up another one of my goals. Since I haven’t gotten that many hands in yet, I still struggle paying full attention as soon as I reach 6 tables+. At the end of the course I want to feel comfortable playing more than 8-10 tables, which considering my set-up shouldn’t be hard at all. It’s going to require practice though, but I’m fully commited to that!

Anyway, this is enough for now, I’ll post my current graph (which is only 6k hands, I only purchased PT4 recently, loved it ever since!)

I will also be keeping a vlog about my progress as soon as I figure that stuff out and as soon as I have anything useful to update about! You can find that [Edited by SDK1987 advertising is against Our forum principles].

Thanks for reading guys, happy crushing to all of you!

Matti
  • 15 replies
    • Post removed

• SDK1987
      SDK1987
      Good luck with this blog as well and edited out all info of the program as well for same reasons as on the Dutch community.

Cheers,
      SDK1987
    • sMatti
      sMatti
      Basic
      Thanks again for the edit SDK!

Update

Alright, so after a lot of paperwork, watching video’s and reading the no-BS 6-max guide, I finally managed to wrestle through all the things needed, and officially got added into the program! Step 1 complete. I’m getting used to the new layout on the website, installing all the necessary programs, calculators, HUDs, etc. so I’m almost ready to start the grind!

I will use my time before dinner to study, update my blogs, do my homework and process all of this information which has flooded my brain the last few days. Thank god I can deal with processing a lot of information fast! There’s a lot of information though, and I mean a LOT really so I’m kind of in a dilemma. I always want to do things right, but I don’t feel I can master the no-BS lines this quickly… Oh well, practice makes perfect I guess, as long as I keep putting in a good amount of hours into studying on a daily basis, I’ll get them down pretty quickly. Can’t expect to be perfect from day one!

I really like the well thought-out guides, the stop-loss formula, the support and all that stuff. Really friendly people in the skype groups as well, they make you feel at home the moment you get added. Didn’t even get time to introduce myself!

Anyway, I’ve met some of my friends from school last night as well, who didn’t know I quit to pursue this yet. They were all pretty amazed but supportive too, so that’s good to hear.
    • sMatti
      sMatti
      Basic
      Hey guys, here's an update about week 1 of my progress so far. All explained in the video!

SDK, if I'm breaking the rules again by naming the coaching program in my video, please let me know so I can remove it here and just link it in my signature or something!

• sMatti
      sMatti
      Basic
      Hey guys, progress this last week has been a little bit slow because of family stuff with the holidays and for now, it seems like it's not going to get better until 3/4 january. Cut some studying time last week to get as much playing in as I could. Managed to find the time to make a vlog about my progress for week 2, you can watch it below if you're interested!

• sMatti
      sMatti
      Basic
      hey guys, my progress last week was even worse than expected (aka unexisting) as we went on a last-minute trip for new years. I had a blast though, it was nice to take a breather, assess what's been happening lately and think about these last few weeks. Couldn't wait to get back into it yesterday and so I did!

I won't be making a vlog this week, as I would only have my trip to talk about, nothing poker related has happened, so I'll be keeping the progress vlog for next monday.
    • sMatti
      sMatti
      Basic
      Hey guys, here we are again! Progress this week was kinda crazy, in 2 directions. At the start of the week, I took a hit but I regained my comfort and confidence at the end. Someone on another forum suggested I also talk over some hand replays in this vlog, thought that was a really nice idea so you have that to look out for too if you're interested and can get past my face and graphs. Tough task, I know. If anyone has any remarks or questions about these hands, please do share!

• RedHeater
      RedHeater
      Bronze
      Hi, thanks for sharing your blog and hands. It looks like you have made a good start to your program, and have every chance of succeeding. If you don't, bear in mind that you can pursue a computing direction and still be your own boss!

I will comment on your hands. To put it in context, I'm currently dabbling in SNGs and MTTs. I was a successful cash player back in the day, but it was limit holdem. This gives me useful background in postflop play, board texture, hand reading and so on. On the down side I am not so experienced with pot sizing, and I may be overly showdown bound. So be aware of that whenever I comment on one of your hands! Before I go through them, I'd be careful about being too results oriented. Your villains might keep 3 betting a lot preflop because they have premium hands, so unless you see their cards at some stage you can't be sure. If you do get that read, don't be afraid to adapt, and vary from what it says in your book.

The first hand with A4. I think you are a bit hard on villain's call with QT (your villain's always have this hand, right?) on A49. He has two overcards to the middle card, and he has backdoor straightdraw and backdoor flush draw. If he folds heads up post flop to a c bet on Axx versus a wide opener every time, he is throwing away a lot (too much) equity. So he needs to make some calls so why not this with the backdoors? I can't fault your play to the river. If you have a read that he is crazy (but do you say only 3 hands??) then definitely you call. Truthfully I would generally call because he might be trying to bluff a missed flush draw, which I might expect him to have semibluffed earlier but lets face it, this is not high stakes.

Second hand AK, would you consider raising preflop? I guess your book will give the answer. Anyway play to the river seems reasonable. It becomes a question of what the pot-sized bet means on the river. I can't think of a logical hand that he can have that you beat, to be honest. He can have a flush, or AJ, or at a stretch quad sevens (!). If he is weak, he could be a calling station that is bluffing his missed gutshot (eg KQ), or he could be overvaluing AQ. So I think for it to be a call it has to be because he played the hand bad. So it comes down to how much you respect him really.

Third hand AK You played this good imo. I would be careful about considering it a gift of 150 big blinds, because he will win it 30%! So you need a plan for how not to tilt if this happens again and you lose.

Fourth hand 44. Definitely can't fold 44 first time round! I wondered whether you could just call here but I think you would need a read that he only bets out with the nuts to do so. If he ever has a bluff in his range (and there are plenty possible) then I think the whole hand is played good by you. What can you do, its just one of those things, you have to call the raise, chuckle at your bad luck and move on.

So those are my thoughts, it could be right or it could be wrong. Good luck with the program!
    • sMatti
      sMatti
      Basic
      Originally posted by RedHeater
      Hi, thanks for sharing your blog and hands. It looks like you have made a good start to your program, and have every chance of succeeding. If you don't, bear in mind that you can pursue a computing direction and still be your own boss!

I will comment on your hands. To put it in context, I'm currently dabbling in SNGs and MTTs. I was a successful cash player back in the day, but it was limit holdem. This gives me useful background in postflop play, board texture, hand reading and so on. On the down side I am not so experienced with pot sizing, and I may be overly showdown bound. So be aware of that whenever I comment on one of your hands! Before I go through them, I'd be careful about being too results oriented. Your villains might keep 3 betting a lot preflop because they have premium hands, so unless you see their cards at some stage you can't be sure. If you do get that read, don't be afraid to adapt, and vary from what it says in your book.

The first hand with A4. I think you are a bit hard on villain's call with QT (your villain's always have this hand, right?) on A49. He has two overcards to the middle card, and he has backdoor straightdraw and backdoor flush draw. If he folds heads up post flop to a c bet on Axx versus a wide opener every time, he is throwing away a lot (too much) equity. So he needs to make some calls so why not this with the backdoors? I can't fault your play to the river. If you have a read that he is crazy (but do you say only 3 hands??) then definitely you call. Truthfully I would generally call because he might be trying to bluff a missed flush draw, which I might expect him to have semibluffed earlier but lets face it, this is not high stakes.

Second hand AK, would you consider raising preflop? I guess your book will give the answer. Anyway play to the river seems reasonable. It becomes a question of what the pot-sized bet means on the river. I can't think of a logical hand that he can have that you beat, to be honest. He can have a flush, or AJ, or at a stretch quad sevens (!). If he is weak, he could be a calling station that is bluffing his missed gutshot (eg KQ), or he could be overvaluing AQ. So I think for it to be a call it has to be because he played the hand bad. So it comes down to how much you respect him really.

Third hand AK You played this good imo. I would be careful about considering it a gift of 150 big blinds, because he will win it 30%! So you need a plan for how not to tilt if this happens again and you lose.

Fourth hand 44. Definitely can't fold 44 first time round! I wondered whether you could just call here but I think you would need a read that he only bets out with the nuts to do so. If he ever has a bluff in his range (and there are plenty possible) then I think the whole hand is played good by you. What can you do, its just one of those things, you have to call the raise, chuckle at your bad luck and move on.

So those are my thoughts, it could be right or it could be wrong. Good luck with the program!
      Hey man, thanks for the very elaborate reply! About making adaptions, at the start of this program we are "bound" to certain rules and are not allowed to adapt to every villain. We are allowed to adapt to 99/75 players (hence the 99 hand) though.

I agree with almost everything you say about the A4 hand. Truth is though, from what I've seen, no one but the crazy people float QThh on a board like that in NL2. Most people just go: "No pair? A out there? /fold" unless they are already on some kind of draw (no backdoor). So that's why it kinda surprised me to see the QThh, although it shouldn't have surprised me, considering river raises are usually the nuts on this level.

On the AK hand, we only raise AK preflop against certain positions and in MW pots. I agree on the fact that we're beating exactly 0 value hands in that spot on the river, and for what I can remember, he hasn't made any dumb plays before the hand, which is why I should never have called there. Good explanation though, I was thinking the same when I was reviewing the hand. Too bad I was just clicking buttons when I was playing it!

The gift thing was me trying to be funny, since I had the feeling it was turning out to be kind of a dry video. I know I lose that hand 1 out of 3 situations, and have been in that spot multiple times already. :f_thumbsup:

And again, I agree on the 44 hand, I think I played it correctly. I don't think I'm ever folding a set, unless on a 4 flush board on the river on these stakes.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts man, lovely stuff! Will be looking forward to reading your thoughts again if you ever decide to comment on another video of mine.
    • sMatti
      sMatti
      Basic
      Hey guys, last week was pretty insane, had a few long sessions, made a decent profit and was in a few sick and close spots! Very interesting stuff where I learned quite a lot. Also discovered a pretty important leak. Will be working hard this weak to plug it! If you're interested to see how I did, you can watch my vlog below.

• sMatti
      sMatti
      Basic
      Hey guys, moved up to NL5 last week, went pretty well until I hit a nice streak of bad luck. Lots of set vs set and straights/flushes getting boated out, but whatever, I'll recover as always! if you're interested to see how my week went, you can watch my vlog below.

• sMatti
      sMatti
      Basic
      Hey guys, found out I still don't have my emotions under control when I start losing. This will be my number one priority from now on. I did bank some profit and some more in rakeback, so I ended January +€116. Not enough to live from, but it's definitely a start! If you're interested to see how I did last week, and watch me talk over some hands, be sure to check out my vlog below!

• sMatti
      sMatti
      Basic
      Hey guys, unfortunately, I've been ill for a week, so this progress video has been a week late! Almost fully recovered now, which is nice. About time as well, I was getting pretty annoyed with having to lie in my bed all day. I might not play today and just study, because I've tried playing when I was feeling a bit better and sadly, that only progressed me backwards. I'm feeling better now though, so when I feel up to it today, I'll probably jump back in there after some studying!

If you guys are interested in seeing how I did in these last 2 weeks (well, technically 1 week..) you can watch my vlog below!

• sMatti
      sMatti
      Basic
      Hey guys, last week I got barely any volume in which was pretty pathetic, still ill first 2 days, then I hit stop-loss in 1 hour the next day, must be some kind of record! Got a nice session in on thursday, but didn’t get to play in the weekend since I had planned to spend it with friends I haven’t seen in a while. After grinding for a long time and being sick for over a week, I needed some human interaction! Anyway, got nothing else planned for a while now, so back to grinding!

• sMatti
      sMatti
      Basic
      Alright, this last week was pretty upsetting, my luck was nowhere to be found, people calling 4bets with T9s and spiking 2p on the flop and holding. Got my overpairs rekt so often which kinda tilted me and caused me to play worse. Really need to get this issue dealt with. All in all, still did make a profit with rakeback and ended February with more profit than January and only half the hands played cause I was ill. That's what I call improvement, there's only 1 way! Up!