Dude wins $1mil SnG, immediately sits at .02/.04 to troll

• 8 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey nickycakes,

As he's an Aussie, it's entirely possible he's trolling. I used to see it a fair bit when I was grinding Stud/Stud8/Razz cash games a couple of years ago. Most of the time it is either proof for backers or they would like a nice SS for memories. The most I ever seen at a .02c/.04c Stud table was 200k.

These players are not Limit players and never play a hand.

Regards

Laz
    • thotee
      thotee
      Bronze
      wow. now that the greatest bankroll management i see. if i win a mil im pretty sure i will go for higher stakes. hahaha
    • Malendes
      Malendes
      Originally posted by thotee
      wow. now that the greatest bankroll management i see. if i win a mil im pretty sure i will go for higher stakes. hahaha
      :coolface: haha
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      Originally posted by Lazza61
      Most of the time it is either proof for backers or they would like a nice SS for memories.
      If I won that big while being staked, I'd lay all the burden of proof on the backers :f_tongue: (The fact would be hardly possible to hide, though, because top Spin prizes and big MTT results remain listed publicly in the lobby for long enough.)

In general, the 'flat % of profit' sharing scheme doesn't work well for Spin & Gos. In order to guarantee getting paid as backer, you have to set some cap on your share that the horse would agree to pay in order to sustain his further reputation, like 100 BIs, and tax lower winnings at a bigger % to compensate, imo.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      In those pre-Spins days, it was mainly backers wanting proof that the funds were still in the player's account.
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      This would work if the horse still wanted the stake to be continued... but if he won a million, of course the stake would end instantly and the only question would be whether the horse is honest enough not to roll.

I.e. a horse could show that the money is still in his account, but the backers' fate would depend on him totally anyway and I'm afraid they'd have no means of getting their money if he didn't want to give it because Stars don't enforce staking agreements.

The backers could tell others not to stake him, but he would no longer ask anyone for a stake, ldo, and maybe wouldn't be giving a flying about the poker community in general.

And I don't trust humans strongly enough to think that any player wouldn't be at least tempted to roll for a mid-6-figure amount owed.
    • NutzAreOk
      NutzAreOk
      Bronze
      Is there not any limit how much with you can sit down at limit .02/.04 table?
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      As far as I understand, if you drag the bar in the buy-in dialog, it maxes the buy-in out at 50 big bets... BUT if you type the buy-in amount in the box above the bar, then you can sit down with your entire bankroll.