Pokerstars 180man promo BRAG THREAD

• 22 replies
    • vuciitis
      vuciitis
      Bronze
      most dumbest promo ever!

even the regs who multitables these every day might not win two in a single day, not even talking about normal people who wana give this a shot for fun...
    • Svinhugg
      Svinhugg
      Gold
      I went to one final table today. There was maybe 3 russians, one belarus and one Ukranian and they started so speak russion wiht each other. most annoying.
    • vuciitis
      vuciitis
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Svinhugg
      I went to one final table today. There was maybe 3 russians, one belarus and one Ukranian and they started so speak russion wiht each other. most annoying.
      FUN FUN FUN :rage:
    • kriko92
      kriko92
      Bronze
      Won two + 5th and 8th place in ~30 SNGs :f_biggrin: Wasted all the run good before the random prize though... Only 50$ from the challenge.
    • nsavov
      nsavov
      Silver
      Well, $50 is more than enough to buy yourself a beer or two, gz :f_drink:
    • Malendes
      Malendes
      Originally posted by kriko92
      Won two + 5th and 8th place in ~30 SNGs :f_biggrin: Wasted all the run good before the random prize though... Only 50$ from the challenge.
      Gratz, good job :f_thumbsup:
    • AlphaVillain
      AlphaVillain
      Gold
      Played 150 of them today so far and I've gotten a first place. Now I'm 1st place with a huge chip lead at another 2. I used to play 180s for a living some years ago, but today I just played $0.50s so I don't risk much on a big volume, plus they were the fastest starting ones. Wish me luck!

• Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Gogogo :fouet:
    • SiL94
      SiL94
      Gold
      Originally posted by AlphaVillain
      Played 150 of them today so far and I've gotten a first place. Now I'm 1st place with a huge chip lead at another 2. I used to play 180s for a living some years ago, but today I just played $0.50s so I don't risk much on a big volume, plus they were the fastest starting ones. Wish me luck!

So how end win 2x 1st and 5k :f_biggrin: :f_drink:
    • AlphaVillain
      AlphaVillain
      Gold
      I'm having some terrible luck so far.... Busted out in one as a 60%+ favorite, and now this.

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-hands/Boom/17073183_6F9FB84927
    • AlphaVillain
      AlphaVillain
      Gold
      Yeah, the good luck continues...

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-hands/Boom/17073300_8F9A979561
    • SiL94
      SiL94
      Gold
      Yeah, the good luck continues...

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-hands/Boom/17073300_8F9A979561
      what was realy sick,still keep going:f_thumbsup:
    • AlphaVillain
      AlphaVillain
      Gold
      Nope, I busted 3rd, but I just opened up a new batch of tournaments. I'm determined to try to get it until the last second. The EV of the promo is around $500 on average. Pretty good for a day's work.
    • Malendes
      Malendes
      Considering the EV of the challenge is up to almost 1000 buyins (if you play 0.5 SNGs), you shouldnt stop playing if you already got the first win :pcuser:

Good luck
    • AlphaVillain
      AlphaVillain
      Gold
      I'm actually a cash games regular now, but you are right nonetheless.

Anyway, I played 306 180-man games today, ran like hammered crap and only managed to win one. Got 2 more tournaments running, but I don't expect to win either of them. Well, it was worth a try.
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      Originally posted by tonypmm
      I got only +$100 :f_cry: (though I won 4 times in 216 games, so the tourney prizes themselves added something as a consolation). See a more detailed report (more of a rambling) here if interested.

I'm really surprised that so many people here didn't have the stamina to grind it out... I had been planning my Thursday since Tuesday (the first time I read on 2+2 about the promo) and sat down at the laptop with the intention to grind for 10 hours in a row if necessary. (That was because my shape and ROI weren't as important in this promo as just my booty.)

I had never had so much junk food and drinks (for short-term carb energy injections, for lack of knowledge of better and equally cheap options) and pee containers at the grind station. I had spent hours on preparation so that the grind itself went smooth.

Of course the prep is part of the daily routine of an MTT / MTSnG grinder, but I hadn't even played stacked ever before. There's no wonder that I didn't enterprise adding turbos en masse to the main grind of $1 hypers - there are so many non-push-fold decisions in turbos that I wouldn't have been able to sustain a decent table count* if mixing $0.50s in.

* up to 20-25, which is only half as many as KatieDozier314 is famously capable of keeping up with - turbos, mind you

In a Russian community thread, people have reported prizes all the way up to $1K :f_drink:
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      I just opened up a new batch of tournaments.
      Taking into account that you used to grind 180-mans professionally, I wonder why you were loading them in batches instead of doing so at a uniform pace. This, neglecting hypers and probably thinking too much on how to actually play the hands out seem your biggest mistakes. By the latter, I mean that it was more +EV to load twice more tables and autopilot than to have a 1.5x better chance of winning each tourney due to having a small edge on opponents in this gamble. It sounds really strange that you were able to play only 156 tourneys between 3 and 10 PM ET (if I understood you correctly).

Another, subtler, consideration, is that, if you had limited time, then, to maximise your chance of winning the promo, you should have played in the chip EV mode at final tables and, moreover, been more LAG than the chip EV Nash would suggest, because your opponents would have been taking ICM into account and folding a lot, thus boosting your chip EV and chance of 1st place finish.

Let's hope the promo runs again sometime - it was fun.
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      Also, here's a crazy realisation I've just had.

First of all, I didn't observe being shoved on too often at those rare times when I opened small instead of shoving.

Myself, I was following the rule 'when in doubt, 3bet-shove'. I.e. suited connectors, broadways, Axs are all candidates for a +EV resteal, especially when the openraise size is 3x in 15 bb stacks (easy money). Well, I'm biased because I've been studying Collin Moshman's SnG materials for too long :f_biggrin:

But there was a very specific feature in this promo: the cost of loading a new tourney ($1 for hypers) was small in comparison with the EV of the promo. It was like an added money tourney with relatively cheap rebuys.

So actually, many flips that would be marginally -EV in a non-promo 180-man setting, were slightly +EV during the promo because 1) had I got a fold, I would have increased my chance of finishing 1st, 2) had I doubled up, it would have more than doubled up my chance of winning the tourney because I would have likely come to the final table with a stack above average and applied the above FT LAG strategy, 3) had I lost, I could have got a whole new stack of 500 chips for just $1 (had I been capping my table count), increasing my chance of getting the promo prize by like 0.1% (which was actually as much as $0.49, and don't forget the $0.91 going to the regular prize pool of the hyper) due to being able to play, say, 351 tourney by the end of the day instead of 350, OR I could have been playing 1 table less and thus more focused while allowing myself to load that extra $1 tourney that I would have loaded anyway.
    • DarkNeo1
      DarkNeo1
      Bronze
      I fired up 4 last night, 1 1st and a 5th. Wish I'd have been grinding them allday now haha