Reaching a Roll...and Beyond

• ehkayforty7
      ehkayforty7
      Bronze
      Let me start by saying the game I play is NL Texas Hold 'Em, and for the first major portion of this blog it is full ring. I have since switched to 6max and I state where in my post.

With that said...

I happened to be one of the lucky ones that was selected to be given a second $50 starting capital (thank you pokerstrategy :D ). My first capital was sent to me at Full Tilt, and then this second one, at Party Poker.
      Well, at Full Tilt I started off playing horribly but was pretty lucky and doubled my BR in a week or so buying in for half a stack at nl10. Soon enough I was down to $40 and buying in for $11 sitngo's trying to win back my money fast. It was to no avail, and after losing a couple games I just stopped playing.

Half a year later I get an e-mail from pokerstrategy saying I am selected for another $50 starting capital. I was thrilled, and the next day I was playing. Well, I basically went straight to the tables, and although I had learned a few things here and there from experience and this site, old habits surfaced and quickly my BR had vanished (well I have about $1.30 left of it ^^).

I was crushed when this happened. For the second time this year I was giving up on poker after wanting to pursue this for so long -- it was kind of heartbreaking tbh.

I then signed on to Full Tilt to watch some pros play when I saw that I had about $10 on my balance. Well, with old habits and major tilt lingering, I took that money at first to nl10 for one full stack, but after the small pots I got frustrated and moved to nl25.
      Soon enough I had a flush draw with a gutshot and shipped it in the middle. I was up against top 2 pair and an over pair, and somehow I managed to catch my flush and take the whole thing down.
      After some more luckboxing of nl25 I was sitting with close to $100.

I stopped playing for a day or two debating whether or not to return to nl25. I was scared to lose even one buy-in because it represented so much of my roll, and now I actually had a chance to turn it into something.

So I moved down to nl10 (the lowest you can play at Full Tilt, otherwise I would have applied a somewhat proper BRM of 20 stacks at nl5). I've never liked playing SSS so I decided to play BSS but play like a complete nit. I figured if I just camp for the nuts it wouldn't be hard to be a winning player amongst the horrible field that is nl10.

After about 4 winning days in a row (and a very nice rakeback) I was sitting at around $185.

Then I notice something (that I don't understand how I didn't notice earlier). I notice that there is 6max for nl10. I must have assumed that 6max only starts at nl25.

Well I used to play and I loved it, so I gave it a shot. What a roller coaster ride that was.
      I profited for the first 2-3k hands or so, but the following sessions were very swingy and eventually I lost bundles. The worst was when I lost 7 buy-in's within around 800 hands.

I could (and do) blame some of that on bad beats, but at least half of my losses were due to bad play, likely influenced by the beats. Regardless, no need to make excuses, just learn from your mistakes and move on.

I took a 3 day or so break and went back to the tables with $110, slightly devastated as I had lost basically all of my profit since I started to play seriously.

I went back to the tables right where I left off, getting drawn out on. I kept my cool because I really wanted to protect my BR, which was now under 3 digits.
      Soon enough the cards came to me again and combine that with my awesome table selection, I was raking it in again. I profited about 4 stacks my first session, and the second was just as nice with another 2 or 3 stacks. The next day was Friday (yesterday), and with the nice rakeback I was sitting above my first goal of 20 stacks with $207.

I played last night and won another 2 stacks, although it could have been much more had I played a few hands a little better. I am very happy with the way things have turned out, as I have learned a lot about keeping my cool and have improved my game immensely.

Thanks to pokerstrategy for first of all the starting capitals, the rakeback ;) , and last but certainly not least, all of your wisdom. I have watched plenty of videos and read some articles, and they have definitely helped form me into a better player.

Now, at $228, I finally have a manageable BR. Onto what lies ahead...

Oh, here's a graph of my progress so far. The first 1200 hands or so are me blowing my $50 capital at Party. At about 5800 hands I make the switch to 6max. I don't know why the graph says PL on it, it's all NL.

I'll continually update this with graphs every 10-15k hands or so and post interesting hands that arise.

• 2 replies
    • ehkayforty7
      ehkayforty7
      Bronze
      A reminder of what not to do...

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J :heart: , Q:heart:
      2 folds, CO calls $0.10, 2 folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.25) 4:heart: , A:diamond: , T:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks.

Turn: ($0.25) T:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks.

River: ($0.25) K:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.30, CO raises to $1.15, Hero raises to $9.90 (All-In), CO calls $8.75.

Final Pot: $20.05

Results:
      Hero shows a straight, ace high (J:heart: Q:heart:)
      CO shows a full-house, aces full of tens (A:club: A:spade:)

CO wins with a full-house, aces full of tens (A:club: A:spade:)

:X

I had a feeling I was drawing dead when the 10 paired too. Greed took over I guess. That, and playing at 3 in the morning.

Just a little reminder so I don't do it again. ^^
    • ehkayforty7
      ehkayforty7
      Bronze
      0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BU with 8:heart: , A:heart:
      MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $0.40, CO folds, Hero calls $0.40, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.95) 6:heart: , 4:diamond: , 6:club: (2 players)
      MP3 bets $0.30, Hero calls $0.30.

Turn: ($1.55) T:heart: (2 players)
      MP3 bets $0.80, Hero calls $0.80.

River: ($3.15) Q:heart: (2 players)
      MP3 bets $1.25, Hero raises to $8.50 (All-In), MP3 calls $7.25.

Final Pot: $20.15

Results:
      Hero shows a flush, ace high (8:heart: A:heart:)
      MP3 shows a full-house, fours full of sixes (4:spade: 4:club:)

MP3 wins with a full-house, fours full of sixes (4:spade: 4:club:)

I really have to stop going all-in with flushes and straights on paired boards. xD

The plan was to float him and then raise/fold the turn, simply because this particular opponent's cbet was something like 84 over 200 hands. But after I catch my backdoor flush draw, I decide to just call in position. Turns out to be the worst thing I could do.

Regardless, it is hands like this that remind me to stick to the basics. No need to get fancy yet. Once I have a roll of 30 buy-in's or so maybe I'll start implementing moves like that. But right now, with the swingyness of 6max, I think I'll just play some ABC poker.

Here's a graph of my last 4k hands or so. As you can see, not very good results. I've managed to stay around breakeven, but with some massive swings in between.
      Usually this happens when I get dealt AA in one of my first 10 hands, get all in pre and get called by a smaller pocket (10's) and get 2 outed. This does not help my game at all. So from now on, if something like that happens early, I will stop my session early.