Everyday I’m hustlin’
Everyday I’m hustlin’
Everyday I’m hustlin’
Everyday I’m hustlin’
Everyday I’m hustlin’
Everyday I’m hustlin’

– Rick Ross

Truth be told, from the outside looking in, I have a pretty sweet life: living abroad in a large city with a beautiful wife and child, working a job that I like with a decent wage. I am doing quite well, but know very well I cannot keep my current job and lifestyle forever. I do not want to wake up at 5 in the morning for work or come home after my child has already fallen asleep six days a week.

Right now, there are great months and not so great months, financially, and I would like to be in a position in life where this variance does not affect me as much as it currently does. To support my family, I have the pressure to be a consistent provider and I will do what I have to do to accomplish my mission.

With the exception of a couple of trips to Vegas, I have not played any poker since 2007–a lifetime ago. At that time, I had a job in finance that wasn’t paying the bills and online poker became my main income source. I had a great run early on, leading to a quick 5-figure win and some baller ambitions.

But I was brought down to earth with a large 4-month downswing, where I depleted my roll to below my self-imposed buffer and I had to stop playing and I used my remaining funds to buy a flight to Japan to get refreshed and study for my triumphant return.

I studied when I could in the Japanese countryside but found myself getting caught up in the Japanese life. I also found a personal sanctuary in the gym and spent almost all of my evenings there. In time, I forgot about my poker ambitions and moved on to a more normal life.

But there was always a part of me that kept poker just a little bit in my life. Over the past few years, I have enjoyed watching poker on YouTube on my lunch breaks, but that has been the extent of my involvement with it. But a meeting with my real estate agent about owning my own home brought me to a realization of just how far I have to go to attain my dream life. I needed something that would bridge the gap between my current and ideal situation, and here is where my poker ambitions were brought back from the outskirts of my brain to the forefront.

If I am going down the poker rabbit hole again, I am going to do it right. I dug out my old poker pdfs, bought some newer books on Amazon, increased my poker YouTube time, and started looking for a teacher/mentor. I have had a few amazing mentors throughout my life for different things, so of course a mentor for poker made complete sense.

Again, I want to do this right. I want to be a great poker player. I want to make an extra $10,000-$20,000 a month in 2016. I want to provide for my family. I want to buy my dream home. And I want the freedom to do what I want when I want for as long as I want. I am ready to hustle and live my ideal life!