questions about poker

• Ginekolog95
      Ginekolog95
      Bronze
      I thought with my friend and he said to me that was the best time to start playing poker in 2008 when was realesed Collin Moshman’s SNG Strategy. I wanted to start playing seriosly so i am wondering do i still have same edge with strategies now or the edge is less now ? What do you think about ? I am very curious about this subject. Hope for good answers :D
  • 10 replies
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      You have a nice nickname :f_thumbsup: :welcome:

Someone who's breakeven in the 2015 games would be crushing 2008 games if s/he was taken there by a time machine... however, there were so little theory and so few learning tools available publicly in 2008 that it's unfair to compare 2008 regulars with 2015 ones - the latter would consistently beat the former heads-up, but it was difficult for people in 2008 to become as good at poker within a month as they can now.

The learning curve is probably more difficult now than in 2008, but there are still new / niche games where there's not much theory available and where even regulars play far from optimal. I'd say that 5-card Omaha and progressive super-knockouts are now 'in infancy' like 4-card Omaha and double-or-nothing SnGs were in 2008.
    • Ginekolog95
      Ginekolog95
      Bronze
      Yea he said me that before 2008 and before Collin Moshman’s books and before Pokerstrategy it was hard to learn from somewhere but if you knew it then than you had great iniciative. My question is actually can you have same winrate now as u could than. He said back than you could earn 100k$/year if you play well 400$ cash games or big tournaments like 150$ buy-in tournaments. Could you earn that money now or everybody know strategies now so it is bassically about the luck now? Also what site do you sugest me to play online poker with lots of fishies? He sugested me 888 poker. What do you think ? I am happy to hear that you like me nickname :D . Also i wanted to make deposit about 900 $ at 888 poker(888 precesily beacause of deposit bonus). He sugested me 4 $ buy-in tournaments with rebuy and add-on. He said that that would be good bankroll managment.My friend also said me that is decent for begining. I wanted also to buy 2 screens for poker, i read it somewhere that they should be 24 inches wide and have something like 1920 x 1200 pixels so i can play 4 tables at one screen at default size and that two screens can conected somehow. And im not total beginer i read most of things from this website avaiable for my status and was wining some money playing online poker (for vocation... ), just wanted to get serious now so i am wondering about many thing now. Also im chess player myself so i know that games like chess and poker can never fully devolop but if you asked me who had greater edge over his oponents Paul Morphy or todays players the answer its obious because of all this theory now. Is the same thing happening with poker these days or it is even now very inovative game where you can beat bad players with some new tactis altgrough they learned some tactics ? This was big topic i hope you can read it.
    • Ginekolog95
      Ginekolog95
      Bronze
      Also am wondering about buying poker books. I wanted to buy those sugested by pokerstrategy and from their coaches and Morman book of poker. I wanted to buy Morman book beacuse it is relativly new and i have read that Morman make most money playing online poker so i was thinking that this was great book for me. I also read that lot of books have pass their time now. So i am wondering are this books fundamental or their time has been pass ? My friend told me that i shouldnt buy lot of books because lot of material can be found here and in videos and beacuse of fast progres of poker tactics. If someone read those books i would be glad to hear their opinion :D
    • Ginekolog95
      Ginekolog95
      Bronze
      Also i am wondering what do you think what are the best buy ins to play( the one that offer the best risk/reward concept.He said me that they are 400$ for cash games and the bigest ones for tournaments(that are running dailly not special one) something like 215$ buy-in.He said it was like that beacuse after that limits most of pro players are playind and you can hardly find a fish. What do you think ? And how much you can earn on those limits per month? Sorry beacuse of all this questions i was just woried that i didnt forget something :D
    • Ginekolog95
      Ginekolog95
      Bronze
      Hope for good answers :D
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      It's still possible to earn $100K a year playing the medium stakes you've mentioned, but in the current state of the games, you'll have to play at a lot of tables (4 of Spin & Gos or 16 of MTTs / cash games) and learn not to play when you tilt or at least reduce the frequency of being in bad shape. Back in 2008, hardly anyone bothered about applying sports psychology to poker; nowadays, 'the mental game' is prevalent over strategy and you have to treat poker like a business and a competitive sport at the same time, be very professional and serious about it, if you do want to earn that $100K (which is not so necessary for a happy life, though).

With that in mind, Jared Tendler's books will never get old and are a good investment.

The bankroll management depends on how much you're ready to deposit in your lifetime. Of course you don't need to put in more than $888 initially, but bear in mind, that, if you play $4 MTTs with rebuys, then you should make 2-3 rebuys on average plus the addon in order to get the maximum expected profit, and you might lose $2000-3000 at first just because of the variance before you start winning, and you'll need to have that much money available for a redeposit, which does sound very possible if you have a decent job.
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      Originally posted by Ginekolog95
      Also i am wondering what do you think what are the best buy ins to play( the one that offer the best risk/reward concept.He said me that they are 400$ for cash games and the bigest ones for tournaments(that are running dailly not special one) something like 215$ buy-in.He said it was like that beacuse after that limits most of pro players are playind and you can hardly find a fish. What do you think ? And how much you can earn on those limits per month? Sorry beacuse of all this questions i was just woried that i didnt forget something :D
      Personally, I prefer to be lazy and earn only $20-30 an hour by multitabling at limits that don't require any learning effort from me (except studying the habits of fellow regulars), those where there are more fish than regs and the regs are very weak too, like €10 Twister / MTTs, €20 PLO, €50 NL (I've never tried to learn NL at a decent level, though); and I don't even bother to play for more than 50 hours a month :f_biggrin: But I'm a famously non-competitive person, a kind of a poker Tolstovian. I don't like beating fellow regs up, I like taking money from those who don't mind it (i.e. from fish).

But if you're a competitive person, then the assessment given by your friend is generally correct. Cash above $400 and MTTs above $109-215 are not worth playing unless you're so fascinated by poker that you have a scientific interest for it like Isildur1 :f_biggrin:
    • Ginekolog95
      Ginekolog95
      Bronze
      Thank you. You answered a lot of mine questions.I am not greedy about the money. I just hear from many people that succesive poker players who dont risk to much playing on higher limits earn nearly 100k$/year.I want to see myself as those types of players in few years. And how long should take me to get to those limits ?- to build bankroll for those limits. 2-3 years if i start with 888 $ and without withrawing my funds ? Thats what i hear. Only if u could answer my what type of monitor and size i should buy to play as i mentioned earlier ? And i dont believe i could manage 16 tables. Its hard for me even with 8. I am playing 4 tables now.
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      I play up to 6 tables of Twister or 12 non-jackpot SnG tables 'tiled' and sometimes more tables 'stacked'... on a 16-inch 1920x1080 laptop monitor, believe it or not! The tables of most poker sites are resizable down to about 480x360.

The secret of multitabling is that you need to use hotkeys for every action that you do often enough. There's a lot of hotkey software available, even for 888poker (888Caption).

The way I do it is bad for the eyesight, though. Get a bigger monitor if you plan to play for more than 3 years.
    • Ginekolog95
      Ginekolog95
      Bronze
      Thanks a lot man. You helped me a lot.