A mental missing link.

• shatteredaces
      shatteredaces
      Basic
      Hello , in my quest to become a pro poker player, I wonder about the mental aspects of my own mind and to consider what is it that I am missing that a pro does not miss.
      I consider my play is above average but I am missing that final step to becoming a pro player.

Game 1st Prize Winner Buy in Entries Rank Prize
      23 Dec 15 No Limit Hold'em HENL GhRibeiro $2.20 2592/60 $9.59
      22 Dec 15 No Limit Hold'em HENL P. Leboeuf $1 45/3 $6.75
      22 Dec 15 No Limit Hold'em HENL 4ToMaS4 $2.20 346/43 $3.80
      22 Dec 15 No Limit Hold'em HENL IN8FI8NI8TY $2.75 489 /5 $66
      16 Dec 15 No Limit Hold'em HENL MasterTony77 $1 180 /14 $1.55
      15 Dec 15 No Limit Hold'em HENL ex@7997 $1.10 1169/30 $4.09
      15 Dec 15 No Limit Hold'em HENL Jova013 $1.10 1073/87 $2.36

Above a few of my last results, I am presently running a 23% ITM, I think I can take that to even higher.

My mental concern is, that I am missing the 1st place finishes and I just can't work out why.

My ability to read the game is great, I often know what the other player is holding, is having too good of a read ability a downfall? I fold because I know I am behind, do I need to intentionally drop my ITM and take more gambles?

or are my results enough....is my results being a pro but without the exclusive first places?
  • 4 replies
    • shatteredaces
      shatteredaces
      Basic
      Why wont nobody help me?

why do I keep getting close or owning a table for this to keep happening over and over again.

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/7220928

How many times must I get close to suffer bs?

28 Dec 15 No Limit Hold'em * HENL MMWANG $2.75 522 27 $7.24
      28 Dec 15 No Limit Hold'em * HENL atlas_afs $1 180 24 $1.06
      28 Dec 15 No Limit Hold'em * HENL C0ff3 $5.50 465 58 $8.13
      27 Dec 15 No Limit Hold'em HENL subzero1805 $2.75 554 22 $7.68
      27 Dec 15 No Limit Hold'em HENL monopolylive $2.20 2878 152 $6.90
      23 Dec 15 No Limit Hold'em HENL GhRibeiro $2.20 2592 60 $9.59
      22 Dec 15 No Limit Hold'em HENL P. Leboeuf $1 45 3 $6.75
      22 Dec 15 No Limit Hold'em HENL 4ToMaS4 $2.20 346 43 $3.80
      22 Dec 15 No Limit Hold'em HENL IN8FI8NI8TY $2.75 489 5 $66
      16 Dec 15 No Limit Hold'em HENL MasterTony77 $1 180 14 $1.55
      15 Dec 15 No Limit Hold'em HENL ex@7997 $1.10 1169 30 $4.09
      15 Dec 15 No Limit Hold'em HENL Jova013 $1.10 1073 87 $2.36
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Hi shatteredaces,

First of all, having "too good of a read" is never a problem. It's true that success in MTTs is more about running deep than just getting ITM, but as always, you need to pick your spots. If you know that you're behind and that you won't be able to take down the pot without a showdown either, than there is no sense in gambling your tournament life hoping for that lucky suckout.

I don't know how many MTTs you have played yet, but please note that the variance in this format is huge, and you need a really large sample just to get some reliable information on your ROI etc. in the first place. 1st place finishes in big field MTTs are rare, even for seasoned pros, so there is no need to be alarmed that you didn't get your share of it yet.

And about the hand you posted, all that counts is that you got your money in as a 95% favorite. Sometimes those rare 5% cases where you lose will occur, but that's the name of the game. Keep getting your money in as such a big favorite, and you'll definitely win in the long run.

If you're really serious about improving your mental game, I can definitely recommend Jared Tendler's books on this topic. You can find the first two volumes of The Mental Game of Poker in our Poker books section, for example. We also have a strategy section on Psychology, which might be helpful.
    • shatteredaces
      shatteredaces
      Basic
      Originally posted by Harrier88
      Hi shatteredaces,

First of all, having "too good of a read" is never a problem. It's true that success in MTTs is more about running deep than just getting ITM, but as always, you need to pick your spots. If you know that you're behind and that you won't be able to take down the pot without a showdown either, than there is no sense in gambling your tournament life hoping for that lucky suckout.

I don't know how many MTTs you have played yet, but please note that the variance in this format is huge, and you need a really large sample just to get some reliable information on your ROI etc. in the first place. 1st place finishes in big field MTTs are rare, even for seasoned pros, so there is no need to be alarmed that you didn't get your share of it yet.

And about the hand you posted, all that counts is that you got your money in as a 95% favorite. Sometimes those rare 5% cases where you lose will occur, but that's the name of the game. Keep getting your money in as such a big favorite, and you'll definitely win in the long run.

If you're really serious about improving your mental game, I can definitely recommend Jared Tendler's books on this topic. You can find the first two volumes of The Mental Game of Poker in our Poker books section, for example. We also have a strategy section on Psychology, which might be helpful.
      Thank you for your reply, I am not really a person who reads books and I consider I personally have been through every mental issue there is in poker, I messed up a while ago , I had some poker buddies on-line and messed that up with my ideas.
      Internet poker is a lonely game, rarely do you get a conversation. After that beat I posted I cashed in my roll, to secure I would not go on a mad tilt, the obvious mental factor being it was so unbelievable, and my mind drifting back into the conspiracy/rigged theories, which I do know is actually impossible. The system does not know which deck you will get, so rigging is impossible.
      However the better I play, the worse the and harder the beats are to take, am I seeing more because I am lasting longer?

I have played lots and lots of Mtt's, today I compared my OPR to the OPR of the number 1 rated player, the only noticeable difference being buy in level. I win a few dollars, they win a few hundred dollar's.

If I could maintain my present play , could I class myself has a microstake tournament pro or not?
    • la55i
      la55i
      The problem is that your sample is probably too small. I don't know how many tournaments you have to play to get even a little accurate ROI%, probably thousands? If you have to ask this kind of questions, I guess you are in the beginning of your poker career. I would also recommend you to read The Mental Game of Poker. We also have a lot of good MTT strategy articles and videos here. Just work hard and eventually you will get there. Keep in mind that variance is huge and as Harrier88 said the 1st place finishes are rare.