moving from full ring to 6max.

• vermoont
      vermoont
      Bronze
      full ring games are the death of me, I feel like I have an edge over many of the players on the low stakes and therefore would like to play a 6max game (less seats, more play). But I am a pretty new FL player, (been playing NL for a while now) and not sure how to adjust my play preflop for 6max tables.
      At this time I just cancel out UTG, UTG+1 and MP1 from the starting hand chart, but feel like this is not optimal.
      Any ideas?
  • 4 replies
    • Harold1
      Harold1
      Global
      If you been playing NL I would suggest first playing FR FL until you get used to this game. It's completely different but in my opinion a better place to start.
      6 max. is a harder game for variance so u need to know how to play FL first.
    • vermoont
      vermoont
      Bronze
      LOL..
      Couldn't agree more.. So many NL fundementals keep on coming up that are extremely -EV for a limit game. I am the definition of a whale ATM at my tables.
      On the other hand, I feel that the game I would like to be playing is 6max FL games, and therefore think that I should maybe focus on them from get go. I understand that in full ring I get more time to pick up a better hand, but it is also a totally dif. game then 6max, and way to passive for my likings. I have no problem paying to learn if needs be, but I am not sure if I think it would be clever for me to study a form of FL that I'm not wanting to use.
      I haven't made up my mind though, so if you have suggestions as to why I should stick to full ring please shoot.
      :P
    • Foxxxen
      Foxxxen
      Bronze
      Starting with FR is good to learn the fundamentals, that apply in SH games as well. It's a low variance way to the basics.
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Foxxxen
      Starting with FR is good to learn the fundamentals, that apply in SH games as well. It's a low variance way to the basics.

You run into many post flop situations with FL that you just don't see at NL... even if you have a solid post flop game, in SH you still face a much higher variance than FR. With an average post flop game you're risking waving bye bye to your bank roll!

Better to sort your game out at the lower variance FR so you are better able to handle SH when you really are ready.

If you take the time to learn and apply the strategies properly there's no reason you can't get a bankroll to play $.5\$1 SH ($500 according to the BRM articles) in good time.