Moving up Limits

    • saywhat
      saywhat
      Bronze
      Joined: 25.11.2008 Posts: 253
      Hello, this is my first post. I have been playing limit and have followed the suggestions in the strategy section and have boosted my bankroll to just over $300. $75 dollars of that 300 is from the bonus i have received from the $100 bonus from pokerstrategy. :P I am debating whether or not to go to .50/1 limit because the strategy says to move up when i have reached 300bb. Any suggestions.

      Love this site.
  • 10 replies
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Joined: 05.02.2008 Posts: 8,270
      You're gold, so I think you've played quite a lot of hands so far. If that's true, you should know whether you can beat your current limit or not, so it's hard to tell you what to do. ;)

      You have two options I can see:
      1. move to 0.5/1 and build BR to $500 and then move to 0.5/1 SH
      2. switch to SH now and play 0.25/0.5 with 600 BB

      It's up to you, but I'd go with 2nd option, because the sooner you change to SH the better (you'll have to start with SH either after few weeks)..

      Originally posted by saywhat
      Love this site.
      me too :heart:
    • Foxxxen
      Foxxxen
      Bronze
      Joined: 04.12.2007 Posts: 3,428
      Hi saywhat!

      Do you have any stats? How many hands have you played and how high is your winrate? Just to make sure that your winnings is not a big upswing.. If you have solid stats and have the bankroll, then by all means move up!
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Joined: 18.09.2008 Posts: 4,877
      Nice one saywhat :)

      Another option is to just add one $.5/$1 table to your multi-tabling to just dip a toe into the water. I have found this works pretty well for me as I've gone up (and, er, down) the limits.

      Once you feel comfortable with your play at the higher limit you can increase the number of higher limit tables.

      Good luck with whatever you decide!:D
    • emotv
      emotv
      Bronze
      Joined: 08.05.2008 Posts: 80
      hi,
      I started with 300 dolars to .25-.50 , I think the safest is 600 bb because when you are multi tableing like 4 or more you need more of your bb's because if u lost too much with powerfull hands your phsicology begins flattern. Also another example from me i started with 300 playing full ring limit at pokerstars, made it 600 dolars then move up .5-1 dolars, then lost 150 dolars at 2 days then move down. But i really get angry to loose that much for safe head i think u should have more tahn 300 bb like 600 bb is great for nice head.
      Now I have 1217 dolars so i am playing at 1-2 limit full ring believe me u can not bad players in those tables , money comes from the bad player. Also short hand is very very risky u go up so good but u also go down very easily.

      Finally,
      If you are multi tabling u need at least 600 bb.
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Joined: 05.02.2008 Posts: 8,270
      Originally posted by emotv
      Finally,
      If you are multi tabling u need at least 600 bb.
      I think you're talking about full ring... If so, you're wrong.

      It depends on your preferences (I play with 1150 bb for example), but it's not related to how many tables you play. What's the difference between playing 150 hands per hour and 550? It's all about your brain and how can you tolerate bad beats, because you play the same hands, the same limit - just faster, what can help you move up or down faster... nothing else..

      So, if you think 300bb are enough to play full-ring, you can play 1-12 tables with those 300bb. You just have to move up & down more frequently... The same aplies for short-handed play: if 500bb are enough for you, then move up! If you prefer more conservative BRM, it's fine ;)

      I talked about SH play when I told to saywhat to play with 600 bb, because I think it's no neccessary to get more conservative before 1/2 SH (e.g. Yoghi plays/played with 500bb up to 5/10, so it is normal, but it gets more riskier higher..). :)
    • emotv
      emotv
      Bronze
      Joined: 08.05.2008 Posts: 80
      As i can see you are platinium and you know how to play where , who and what ever the table is!

      But new comers like me having so much problems while multi tabling , going tilt degree, having bad beats etc. and also 1-2 limit is heads up bb wars could be very dangerous.

      For beginner and advances my personel advice is Rock Bankroll. You are learning while you are playing. So learn this safelly. Without suiciding.
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Joined: 05.02.2008 Posts: 8,270
      I'm sorry emotv, I didn't mean it like dishonour or anything like that.

      I just don't like the statement that you need bigger bankroll the more tables you play. If someone can't get over multi bad beats, he should reduce number of tables - it's as easy as this and it has nothing to do with BRM imo.

      Everyone has to work on his/her multitabling skills and it's not as easy as adding one more table every now and then... I know that, and that's the reason why I play only 2 - 3 tables these days (used to play 6 for months).

      It's just my point of view and you don't have to agree with me.

      btw: you're not newcomer ;)
    • emotv
      emotv
      Bronze
      Joined: 08.05.2008 Posts: 80
      no no i am not offended, i was just talking about downswings could be dangerous for new people.

      I just want to ask when you withdraw a money. I have for example 3000 dolars i move up 2-4 dolars limit. I made it 4000 do i have to withdraw or heading for up.

      When can i be professional in what bankroll?
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Joined: 05.02.2008 Posts: 8,270
      simple rule: Don't withdraw single cent if you don't need it.

      It doesn't matter if you have 1000 or 5000 BB bankroll. The more you have the better for you, so you don't need to move down during the huge downswing.. I use to keep only 300-500 BB in my poker client and the rest on bank account made specialy for poker related things (software, books etc.). Calm me distrustful, but I prefer to not get bankrupt if someone/something hack into my account ;)
      If I need to money, I just make transfer from poker bank account to my personal one: it's instant because I have them in the same bank. Easy..

      -------------------
      Your second question is bit more complicated but I'll help myself by using BRM excel sheet made by one of the DC coaches. It's simple .xls file without any formatting, because I didn't have time to play with that. You can download it here.

      Short introduction:
      - put values in blue cells / white are calculated..
      - number of hands: amount of played hands on certain level lifetime
      - winrate in bb/100: lifetime again
      - rakeback: your average rakeback in BB (27% on FT, 15 - 40 on Stars... - you have to count it on your own)
      - SD in BB/100: standard deviation - it's still not implemented into PT3 (should be soon), but can be found in PT2.. no idea if it's in HEM or Elephant. If you don't know it, 17 is average for SH (i had 15 on 0.5/1 and 17 on 2/4) and 13 should be OK for FR
      - uncertainty: what's the dispersion of your net winrate.. (or something like that ;) it's not important)

      - Confidence: e.g. 95%: it says, that with probability of 95% is your real winrate higher then upper value (0.5 in file I sent you) and with probability of 5% is higher than lower value (2.5 here).. it depends mainly on amount of played hands + somehow on deviation
      - big bet: BB in you game
      - Risk of ruin: you can choose anything from 0.01% higher (0 is not possible of course)... it determines your required BR in next steps
      - Recretional Bankroll: minimum bankroll you need if you're playing for fun (you don't need to withdraw anything)

      - monthly nut: what are your monthly expenses
      - hands per month: your average hands/month on this limit
      - professional BR: it depends on same stats as recretional, but it now counts monthly nut + hands per month
      - living reserve: min. 6x monthly nuts (it's up to you)
      - starting pro bankroll: pro BR + living reserve of course ;)

      hope it helps; if you have any question, feel free to ask
    • saywhat
      saywhat
      Bronze
      Joined: 25.11.2008 Posts: 253
      Unfortunately I do not have any stats as i have tried on many occassions to get that stupid elephant to work and have been unsuccessful. I decided to play .5/1 Fl and dropped to 260 and then decided to take 100 out and treat myself to a new video game and i am now back to .25/.5 and back to 200 will make the move up when i reach 300. Thanks for all your help