Someone explain this too me, please

• zzizek
      zzizek
      Bronze
      I find it confusing.

How does bankroll management matter

I openeded 4 zoom tables (4x2USD). After 3,000 hands I was up 5 USD. Then I got involved in 3 hands where I lost to sets and lost all the buyin. No matter the bankroll, basicly all the work is lost then. What does bankroll matter, if I again open 4 tables and sooner or later situation as these comes if you play till eternety and you loose it all. I know we're not machines, but still, bankroll doesn't make some sense in this part. It's like not taking in consideration winning, not appreciating them, or how would I say. I mean OK, I could be better and be able to fold sets, but there were no flushes or straights possible, hard to do. Anyway, I was wonder this once before ... it falls out so much like a gambling to me (of what others judge me, I judge myself in the end then, becaue of pitty probably), but still. I played basicly almost BSS for BigField tournament which should really produce almost sure profits at the end of every day if you play like 10k hands, but it doesn't. I mean it would if I would be able to fold sets to bigger sets. IDK, what's your opinion. I think it's a tricky one.
  • 45 replies
    • zzizek
      zzizek
      Bronze
      Playing one tournament for a day, even if it's 2 USD out of a 10 PSC produce so much better results sometimes if you're determinated to it and focused. IDK, maybe it has something to do with me musting to submit to some rules (authority) or something, some rigidity or something, though it is profitable to play it that way, I made money 90% when I decided to play like that for like 4/5 hours in avarage. It's true maybe it has been some contration drop but how to keep up such a steady contration. Or yeah, maybe every set isn't a set to all in. Probably the same rigidity as playing (overplaying) aces.

Guess I answered myself.

Though the cashing out stuff still bothers me, I mean it bothers me that mostly everyone says stuff doesn't matter, just keep on playing (well, minimum 100 BBs of course, but that's all)
    • staktas
      staktas
      Bronze
      These coolers as sets over sets happens all the time and you have learn to deal with taht if you want to play poker. Best thing is, tho, that everything evens out in the long run. You win as much sets over sets as you lose. It is best to ignore such situations and not tilt over it. Just laugh it off.

Now, where bank roll management comes into play? Lets say you are really good player, you deposit few buyins for any stakes and start playing. Lets say you get some bad luck, sick coolers like loosing with sets, and lose all of those buy ins. You just went broke, didnt you? You are very good player, and you still went broke. What if you deposited 25 buy ins? You could have just laugh thise coolers off, and continue playing since sooner or later these cooler situations doesnt matter.
    • zzizek
      zzizek
      Bronze
      And then deposited 4 more (24 times) and after playing many hand would still loose

OK, maybe I'm dissregarding positive, good reply - ty
    • zzizek
      zzizek
      Bronze
      I meant 6 times, so it would be 25 in total, u know..
    • zzizek
      zzizek
      Bronze
      I don't know. Maybe the omnipotence of winning so many gets into blood. And realization of putting so much effort and then not paying out. Fak
    • zzizek
      zzizek
      Bronze
      So I guess bankroll has a lot of psychological benefits. It causes less harm to emotions, you're not so overwhelmed (pressured, ex... what's the word) when you have a lot of chips on tournament, etc. But then comes into play how slowly you earn. And then if you take it as a job you put even more pressure on it. Like I would do this for a living, then the dissapointment is even greater. And so on
    • MJPerry
      MJPerry
      Bronze
      If you're a losing player, bankroll management is irrelevant.
    • la55i
      la55i
      Poker has a thing called variance. Sometimes you will lose set vs set and sometimes villain wins even if he has 1% chance to win.

Bankroll management ensures that you have enough money to face this kind of cooler/bad beat. If you have 25 buy-ins, you can take some hits but you won't lose your entire bankroll. If you are a good player, you won't lose 25 buy-ins in a row to bad beats. If you play too high stakes you can lose your entire bankroll in one or two hands and you don't have enough money to keep on playing. And as you said it has also a psychological effect. When your bankroll management is good, you don't have so much stress and pressure and when you get coolered it won't affect you so much.
    • zzizek
      zzizek
      Bronze
      I guess the chances of loosing whole money on all tables opened when playing 10k hands a day the same times are like 1000x higher then, MJPerry, perhaps that's what you're forgetting
    • staktas
      staktas
      Bronze
      At the moment you are focusing on completely wrong things that you should. You are playing lowest stakes, and thats great, thats where everyone started. Even if you are winning player at these stakes, what are your winnings? 50$ a month? You should ignore your winnings. So you might think that what you need to do is to climb up stakes fast? Thats expected result but thats not what you need to focus on either. You need to focus on IMPROVING YOUR GAME. Thats all that matters at the momment. If you improve your games, you will climb stakes, and then winnings will come.

So when you will reach the point where you can live off of this you will have ammased huge ammount of experience , coolers wont bother you anymore, you will have very strict BRM, and there wont be any stress at all. Thats gonna be long journey tho. My advice, for you is to change your current attitude towards poker. Focus on improving your game.
    • zzizek
      zzizek
      Bronze
      Show me you're folds of sets to dry boards, please, MJPerry.

... cmon. This topic isn't even about this.
    • staktas
      staktas
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MJPerry
      Ooh i disagree. Back when i started, pokerstrategy used to give 50$ as starting capital. I wasnt a wining player at start. I lost half of it. But i studied, and turned that around.
    • zzizek
      zzizek
      Bronze
      OK, I'll try to post these hands in a forum
    • staktas
      staktas
      Bronze
      Originally posted by zzizek
      Show me you're folds of sets to dry boards, please, MJPerry.

... cmon. This topic isn't even about this.
      On the other hand show YOUR 3 hans where you lost set over set ;)
    • thazar
      thazar
      Silver
      Originally posted by MJPerry
      tsb
    • zzizek
      zzizek
      Bronze
      I did. I wanted to post it. Don't know to close PokerOffice live tracker. Wanted to post to see what could be improved

EDIT: Will post in it in here then.
    • zzizek
      zzizek
      Bronze
      First one:

PokerStars Zoom Hand #146162409573: Hold'em No Limit ($0.01/$0.02) - 2015/12/30 6:38:59 ET
      Table 'Halley' 6-max Seat #1 is the button
      Seat 1: edge-tomikon ($8.92 in chips)
      Seat 2: zzizek ($3.42 in chips)
      Seat 3: mad_33rus ($0.85 in chips)
      Seat 4: Tamara984 ($2.18 in chips)
      Seat 5: 39ha54 ($2.41 in chips)
      Seat 6: wichu2011 ($2.01 in chips)
      zzizek: posts small blind $0.01
      mad_33rus: posts big blind $0.02
      *** HOLE CARDS ***
      Dealt to zzizek [5h 5d]
      Tamara984: folds
      39ha54: folds
      wichu2011: raises $0.04 to $0.06
      edge-tomikon: folds
      zzizek: calls $0.05
      mad_33rus: calls $0.04
      *** FLOP *** [5s 8s Jh]
      zzizek: bets $0.06
      mad_33rus: calls $0.06
      wichu2011: calls $0.06
      *** TURN *** [5s 8s Jh] [3h]
      zzizek: bets $0.17
      mad_33rus: calls $0.17
      wichu2011: raises $0.27 to $0.44
      zzizek: raises $2.86 to $3.30 and is all-in
      mad_33rus: calls $0.56 and is all-in
      wichu2011: calls $1.45 and is all-in
      Uncalled bet ($1.41) returned to zzizek
      *** RIVER *** [5s 8s Jh 3h] [As]
      *** SHOW DOWN ***
      zzizek: shows [5h 5d] (three of a kind, Fives)
      wichu2011: shows [Jc Js] (three of a kind, Jacks)
      wichu2011 collected $2.24 from side pot
      mad_33rus: shows [7s 6d] (high card Ace)
      wichu2011 collected $2.46 from main pot
      *** SUMMARY ***
      Total pot $4.87 Main pot $2.46. Side pot $2.24. | Rake $0.17
      Board [5s 8s Jh 3h As]
      Seat 1: edge-tomikon (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
      Seat 2: zzizek (small blind) showed [5h 5d] and lost with three of a kind, Fives
      Seat 3: mad_33rus (big blind) showed [7s 6d] and lost with high card Ace
      Seat 4: Tamara984 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
      Seat 5: 39ha54 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
      Seat 6: wichu2011 showed [Jc Js] and won ($4.70) with three of a kind, Jacks

Here it wasnt value to go allin I guess - I just went mindlessly with that other allin, other from that sh1it happens. Set confused me and went mindlessly with it

PokerStars Zoom Hand #146162067342: Hold'em No Limit ($0.01/$0.02) - 2015/12/30 6:28:56 ET
      Table 'Halley' 6-max Seat #1 is the button
      Seat 1: b1ulex ($2.58 in chips)
      Seat 2: 8Anonymous1 ($1.96 in chips)
      Seat 3: zzizek ($6.59 in chips)
      Seat 4: maxkh2016 ($2 in chips)
      Seat 5: Nogedaak ($4.64 in chips)
      Seat 6: krisuperV ($6.88 in chips)
      8Anonymous1: posts small blind $0.01
      zzizek: posts big blind $0.02
      *** HOLE CARDS ***
      Dealt to zzizek [Ac Ah]
      maxkh2016: raises $0.02 to $0.04
      Nogedaak: folds
      krisuperV: calls $0.04
      b1ulex: calls $0.04
      8Anonymous1: folds
      zzizek: raises $0.24 to $0.28
      maxkh2016: folds
      krisuperV: calls $0.24
      b1ulex: folds
      *** FLOP *** [Qs 7s Th]
      zzizek: bets $0.36
      krisuperV: calls $0.36
      *** TURN *** [Qs 7s Th] [As]
      zzizek: bets $1.32
      krisuperV: calls $1.32
      *** RIVER *** [Qs 7s Th As] [9c]
      zzizek: bets $3.87
      krisuperV: raises $1.05 to $4.92 and is all-in
      zzizek: calls $0.76 and is all-in
      Uncalled bet ($0.29) returned to krisuperV
      *** SHOW DOWN ***
      krisuperV: shows [9s 8s] (a flush, Ace high)
      zzizek: shows [Ac Ah] (three of a kind, Aces)
      krisuperV collected $12.97 from pot
      *** SUMMARY ***
      Total pot $13.27 | Rake $0.30
      Board [Qs 7s Th As 9c]
      Seat 1: b1ulex (button) folded before Flop
      Seat 2: 8Anonymous1 (small blind) folded before Flop
      Seat 3: zzizek (big blind) showed [Ac Ah] and lost with three of a kind, Aces
      Seat 4: maxkh2016 folded before Flop
      Seat 5: Nogedaak folded before Flop (didn't bet)
      Seat 6: krisuperV showed [9s 8s] and won ($12.97) with a flush, Ace high

OK, this could have been better. Overplayed it on silly board. Tilting from previous one.

Found 1 more big loss more, too. Wouldn't even show it ..

Yeah, guess I vented out on you, I'm sorry.

However, got my 10 back on hot 3.3. God gave me another opportunity :$

I have a question. How can one settle itself off from emotionality - get it more intelectually? Something else?
    • zzizek
      zzizek
      Bronze
      I'm starting to like this approach, gotta get more into comunity
    • zzizek
      zzizek
      Bronze
      I have this rush to play hand as fast as possible. Not sure what to do about this one. Some magical thinking / being better or earning more by folding faster (showing to others or to boost sense of winning cause of more hands played, both I think). Hard to slow down. Was always like that also when working. Unhealthy perfectionism. Gotta love the game more.