Goodbye...

• Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      I just wanted to say bye to everyone at PokerStrategy.

I quit poker because I'm bad at it: I lost my last $80 bankroll on mansion in one night, $50 at the tables and $30 in one go at the roulette, out of desperation. This made me conclude that I lack the discipline, dedication and skill to play poker for real money. So I permanently quit poker and am never going to play it again.

Goodbye...
  • 27 replies
    • Puciek
      Puciek
      Bronze
      You also fail at bankroll managment
    • Backcushion
      Backcushion
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Puciek
      You also fail at bankroll managment
      He mentioned it...

Anyways,it's better to quit and pick a new hobby,rather then become a gambler,so nice choice.
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      For us beginners it is everything logical....Every beginner think, he will become super millionare. But yes i know that, its very difficult on higher stakes. I swear to myself that if i fail playing poker via Poker Strategy i will make the same decision as Berzerger.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Hmm yeah if you think you lack the discipline to follow BRM you should quit.

Gambling is the worst thing you can do while playing poker and not following BRM is exactly that.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      Hi Berzerger,

I applaud your decision. Good luck (excuse the pun there) in your future endeavours.
    • louc
      louc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dragar
      Gambling is the worst thing you can do while playing poker
      ?( ?( ?( ?( ?(
      So you are always only check/folding?
    • gape0000
      gape0000
      Bronze
      Are you always raising/calling with air louc ?
      Not the best thing in the long run if u ask me ;)
    • louc
      louc
      Bronze
      Yeah, I'm always calling/raising with air. The best move by far is IMO bluff call river. :O
      And why are you so concerned with the long run? In the long run we are all going to die … ;)

It seems that some PokerStrategiest believes that poker is not gambling. Even more they think that taking a gamble is something bad something you should avoid or otherwise you are sooner or later going to be in trouble (financial, … ).

Wikipedia: Gambling
      Gambling is the wagering of money or something of material value on an event with an uncertain outcome with the primary intent of winning additional money and/or material goods. Typically, the outcome of the wager is evident within a short period.

I like this definition more than one that can be found in glossary at this site. IMO, that's really not perfect definition of gambling because it doesn't even talk about money (or something of material value) and how does it relate to gambling.

@Berzerger:
      You seem to know where the problem lies (lacking of discipline, dedication and skill). But did you try to improve? The easiest thing you could do is to do nothing about it.

Don't get me wrong if it's really your final decision to quit poker I respect it and wish you good luck in life but if you're still not sure about it then I believe you shouldn't quit yet.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by louc
      Originally posted by Dragar
      Gambling is the worst thing you can do while playing poker
      ?( ?( ?( ?( ?(
      So you are always only check/folding?
      Gambling is getting your money into the pot when your being dominated. The pot will be big but high risk and you will loose money over time.

Getting your money into the pot when your the favourite is not gambling because you will be profitable over time.

This is my defintion anyways.
      Most gambling definitions are wrong since after them every financial market would also be a gamble, and try telling that to forex or stock market traders.
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      @ dragar... gambling is just when you wager for money...

if I had a coin and would bet you $100 that it would land on the tail... we would be gambling..

same example but this time I'll give you 1:3 odds... so getting 1:3 odds for you when the odds are really 1:2 your having a really really really +ev bet... Now is this not gambling?

Poker ofcourse has a gambling factor... Even when you put your aces all in preflop as an 80% favorite your still gambling for money... odds are with you so your making a profitable gamble... still it's nothing but a gamble.
    • Harold1
      Harold1
      Global
      Probably a good decision, if u do start again, start with fl4, one table and go by the sh charts and brm at poker strategy. There are other places like this one to get "poker cash". U can play freerolls for cash too. That's what i'm doing at mansion right now, I won enough freeroll to get in sng then when i got 2$ i started playing fl4. Good place to start. U have to be patient and not play w/ "scared" money.

gl w/ whatever
    • Harold1
      Harold1
      Global
      If u know as in the 3:1 coin toss odds example above that u will have those odds ,you are not gambling to place that bet.

That's why u need pot odds.
      If u were dealt A's every hand u would NOT be gambling, ever, because u would always be winning in the long run and u would know that. So no gamble whatsoever.

If u know the odds your never really gambling, not ever.
      If u don't know them, then you are ALWAYS gambling even with A's.

Patience is a virtue easier said than practiced. - I'm going to use that for my sig.
    • erptech
      erptech
      Platinum
      Originally posted by Hlynkinn

Poker ofcourse has a gambling factor... Even when you put your aces all in preflop as an 80% favorite your still gambling for money... odds are with you so your making a profitable gamble... still it's nothing but a gamble.
      Funny but the more someone gambles (by playing many single gambling hands) the less is he in fact gambling.

Oh, and @Berzerger

man, you're probably doing the best thing cause poker is all about not giving up and you just gave up so... great choice! ;)
      I applaud you also, cause not many people can say "this is not for me" and just quit without their ego being hurt :spade:
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      Gambling is the wagering of a bet on an uncertain outcome.

Even if you look at the long term aspect of a winning player, it is more on the investment side of gambling but a gamble nonetheless as the exact end result is always unknown.
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Berzerger
      ....and $30 in one go at the roulette, out of desperation. ..
      For this reason alone, leaving is a good choice. But learn to deal with desperation, otherwise your response will always be self destruction.
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      I agree with aciddrop - the fact you blew your last $30 on roulette means youre not really thinking too much about the math and probabilities of gambling and making irrational decisions, which probably means you are not going to earn money with poker. This is something you should also think about as it applies to you in other areas of life.

If you have identified that you are not cut out for the game and can walk away early thats good, before you get into trouble with it. I have seen other members on here whose posts set alarm bells off in my head, I am thinking they are headed for big trouble if they get addicted to gambling.
    • Harold1
      Harold1
      Global
      uncertain outcome is the key words, in some cases you can be gambling but in most cases during a poker game u can't be or you will be a losing player over the long term.
      *odds&outs* can change the outcome over the long term if you know what your doing.

Anyway I think he's making the right decision but ..... how many have said that and a week or month later are back at it?

That's why I say if he goes back, do FL4, grind up to 10 then twenty then 50 and play by the brm rules or don't play at all. And don't multi-table more than two tables on any level until u are completly comfy, by then you'll be at the next level, so dont move up if u want to play more than two tables.

It's common sense really and nobody's good at this without practice.

Patience is a virtue easier said than practiced. - I think I said that already.
    • Vargan
      Vargan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by delete461
      If you have identified that you are not cut out for the game and can walk away early thats good, before you get into trouble with it. I have seen other members on here whose posts set alarm bells off in my head, I am thinking they are headed for big trouble if they get addicted to gambling.
      Who? Me? :D

Anywho to the OP:
      I respect the decision to quit. Its a very powerful statement as this game can be somewhat destructive and/or addictive. It is not profitable for everyone, and you gotto put in the A-LOT of alot of time to become a winning player.

Even after that, its still a long road to walk.

Its important to always ask yourself, what are you doing, and why are you doing it.

Poker is not a shortcut to financial greatness. Its almost always the opposite.

Good luck in life. :)
    • bordzter
      bordzter
      Bronze
      life is making decisions very like playing poker...

if you just follow the strategy outlined it is still gambling in a way but you are trying with mathematical probability to increase the odds in your favor... in life its like looking at the past exams your professor gave as to some insight what the questions he might give for the coming exam... :D :D :D

as you said you lack discipline, i dont think so, what you do lack is actually dedication and perseverance... and i do laud your decision to quit as it takes a lot of discipline to do it...

good luck and may you make the correct decisions in your life...