60 Whales Hunting blog

• igorbr1
      igorbr1
      Bronze
      My situation

Hello. My name is Igor and I am 45 years old. I live in Ukraine in the city of Kiev.

Most of all I like to play poker. This is my passion. I also like to watch serials like Game of the Thrones or Sherlock Holmes by TV, but only the best of them. The time is the money. In order to diversify my risks at poker I tried to study sports bets and trading, financial stakes like binary options. But I came to the conclusion that poker is the best.

I have a family which consist of my wife and an adult son. He is 20 years old.

So as you can see I am a usual regular player. But I have a strong desire to skyrocket in limits.

My poker story

I have been playing poker for a living for more then 9 years since the summer of 2006. I started to play 6max fixed holdem0.5/1 but in a couple of months switched to 10NL Holdem. I moved up in stakes up to 600NL and then after "black friday" I have been forced to move down in stakes and I am at 25NL Holdem tables now. The game has changed a lot since then. And every serious player have to learn each day in order to stay in the game.

Poker is my life and I would like to leave small stakes NL holdem tables as quick as possible. My goal is to reach 1k NL holdem level but at first I need to catch 60 whales 1k each:)
  • 79 replies
    • nsavov
      nsavov
      Silver
      Hello and congrats on the blog!
      If you can share some graphs or other interesting fun pictures, it will greatly improve the interest of readers :f_thumbsup:
      I wish my dad played poker, thats for sure! But nooo, he grinds only the lottery and the occasional slots... :facepalm:
      Tells us something about your family, do they play poker, do you approve it etc...
      Also, where do you play?
      GL! :)
    • igorbr1
      igorbr1
      Bronze
      Hi nsavov. Thanks for you questions. I play on Pokerstars 6 max Holdem NL25. My son also plays poker 10$ SNG most of the time. My wife rarely plays NL2 6 max holdem. She likes live play more then online. I tried to teach her but it is useless, she plays as she wants.
    • igorbr1
      igorbr1
      Bronze
      Here you can see the graph and the table of my play in the last day of the 2015 year.
      Happy New Year!!

• igorbr1
      igorbr1
      Bronze
      Hi, this is a report of my play for the three days of the New Year.

I started to play from the 2nd of January.

I would like to talk about the mistakes I made during this session.

One big mistake playing pocket Aces costed me 27 euros of loss (I called PSB just with fd and over pair)

As you can see the pot odds were 1.95:1. According to Flopzilla we needed 3.3:1 to break even as we only had 23% of equity agains the set of 33, which our opponent had this time.

One time I overplayed TPTK on the river when 3 flush came I went all in, should be check fold I guess.

I bet called all in on the river with nut flush on a paired board. These three mistakes costed me about 50 euros.

The 3rd of January report.

There were a lot of coolers. That was a tough long session. Fishes caught sets and trips against my premiums. I played 12 tables and at one time was 8 buyins down. But I did not tilt and continued to play as a result -30 usd and 25usd bonus from Pokerstars so that was an even session.

The 4th of January report

I have played perfect. I caught sets often and played well enough.

So here is the result of my play from the 31st of December 2015.

I am a little bit closer to catch my firsr whale of 1k:)
    • igorbr1
      igorbr1
      Bronze
      Hi, today I would like to post a report of my play for the 5th and 6th of January.

The 5th of January

I played very well without huge mistakes.

The 6th of January

I made a couple of mistakes. One time I value betted TP2K on the river and get called by TPTK. Another one I value betted 3rd nut flush on the river and folded to a push from fish.
    • igorbr1
      igorbr1
      Bronze
      Hi, I continue to do study 6 max Intermediate Course along with my play.

Here is my homework on the Introduction to Combinations topic.

1.Villain’s range is 66+, AJ+. How many combinations of pairs does he have? Write them out, like this: AA(number of combos), KK(number of combos),etc

AA(6), KK(6), QQ(6), JJ(6), TT(6), 99(6), 88(6), 77(6), 66 (6) The total is 54 combinations.

2.Villain’s range is any two cards ten and higher (TT+, JT+,QT+,KT+,AT+). How many combinations is that? Write them out.

Paired hands: AA (6), KK(6), QQ(6), JJ(6), TT(6) 30 combinations

Unpaired hands: AK(16), AQ(16), AJ(16), AT(16), KQ(16), KJ(16), KT(16), QJ(16), QT(16), JT(16) 160 combinations

The total is 30+160= 190.

3.How many suited Ax combinations are there? Write them out.

AKs(4), AQs(4), AJs(4), ATs(4), A9s(4), A8s(4), A7s(4), A6s(4), A5s(4), A4s(4), A3s(4), A2s(4) 48 combinations

4.The flop is AQ5. We have AK. How many combinations of sets are possible for villain (assuming he can have any hand)? Write them out.

AA(1), QQ(3), 55(3) 7 combinations

5.The flop is AsQd5h. We have 6s5s. How many combinations of AQs can villain have? Write them out.

AhQh, AcQc 2 combinations.

6.The flop is AQ7r. We have 77. How many combinations of gutshots can villain have? Write them out.

KT(16), JT(16) 32 combinations

7.The flop is AQ7r. How many TP+ combinations are there? Write them out.

TP+: AK (12), AQ(9), AJ(12), AT(12), A9(12), A8(12), A7(9), A6(12), A5(12), A4(12), A3(12), A2(12), Q7(9)

AA(3), QQ(3), 77 (3). The total is 156 combinations.

8.How many combinations from question 7 do we beat with AT? Write them out.

A9(12), A8(12), A6(12), A5(12), A4(12), A3(12), A2(12) 84 combinations we beat.

9.Villain from question 2 (TT+, JT+,QT+,KT+,AT+) goes to the flop. The flop is As8s9c. Does he have more combinations of made hands (and 1P+), or draws (any FD, OESD, GS)?

As8s9c

Made hands:

2P+:AA (3) – 3

1P+:AK (12), AQ(12), AJ(12), AT(12), KK(6), QQ(6), JJ(6), TT(6) – 72

Total – 75

Draws:

FD: AsKs (1), AsQs (1), AsJs(1), AsTs(1), KsQk(1), KsJs(1), KsTs(1), QsJs(1), QsTs(1), JsTs(1) – 10

OESD: JT(15) – 15

GS: QJ(15), QT(15) – 30

Total – 55

The answer is: Villain has more combinations of made hands.

10.Villain from question 9 goes all-in on the flop with all of his made hands and draws. The flop is $10, and he has $15. Can we profitably call him with TdTc?

According to Flopzilla the equity of this range is 67% (We excluded KQo, KJo, KTo) and the equity of a hand is 33%. We need to call 15 into 25 pot so the required equity = price of calling/(pot size + price of calling)15/25+15 *100= 15/40*100=37.5% equity we need to break even. The equity of our hand is 33%. So this call is unprofitable.
    • igorbr1
      igorbr1
      Bronze
      Hi, I continue to play almost every day and here is a report of my play for 8-10 of January.

The 8th of January

The 9th of January

I played well enough. I would say I played my “A” game. May be my 3 bet was on a low side only 3.9. I experienced upstreak today with a winrate 30bb per 100 hands. I started to add 50 NL tables.

The 10th of January

At the beginning of a session my QQ lost KK sb vs bb. Then I table select well and won the session. I played not much because I transfered my play to PT4 and was buisy importing HM2 datatbase.
    • igorbr1
      igorbr1
      Bronze
      Hi, here is the report of my recent play

11th of January

As you can see the result is not bad but I still made a couple of mistakes. One time I went all in with 88 as a second pair against a fish. The second time I called 3 barrels on K high boards with JJ after cold calling 3 bet IP against a villain with 4% 3 bet, of cause he had KK.

12-13th of January

from the 12th of January I started to implement Intermediate preflop ranges from the 6max Intermediate Course. Result are not bad for now.
    • igorbr1
      igorbr1
      Bronze
      Hi, I continue to post the results of my progress. I finished Intermediate preflop ranges topic on the 17th of January. I am working on Simple Preflop exploits now.

Here is the result of my play 14-18th of January

and the graph
    • igorbr1
      igorbr1
      Bronze
      Hi, I continue to play and study theoretical modules and here is my result from the 19th till 21th of January:

• igorbr1
      igorbr1
      Bronze
      Hi, this is the report of my play from 22 till 25 of January

These days were the tough ones . I got unlucky in preflop all ins. There were a lot of coollers and as a result I could not show my “A” game.
    • igorbr1
      igorbr1
      Bronze
      Hi, today I am posting the results of my play from 26th till 28 of January:

As you can see I started to play at NL50 with not a bad results. I still make a lot of mistakes and I will try to avoid them in the future. I finished module 3, unit3 “How to solve preflop All-in situations” and sent my homework on Module 1, Unit 12 “Introduction to combinations” to the coach. I also recorded the new video Link Text...
    • igorbr1
      igorbr1
      Bronze
      Hi, I am posting my results for January

from the 1st till 9th of January I played using HM2

then during my progress I have been advised to use PT4 and here is the result from 10th till 31th of January

As for me the results is not bad. I have finished preflop chapters. At present I am working on flop c-betting unit1, module 4. At this point I am very glad that I have joined the program.
    • igorbr1
      igorbr1
      Bronze
      Hi, today I am posting my results for the first 3 days of February. I experienced hard times at tables. My higher set lost to lower one, bigger pocket pairs were losing to smaller ones in preflop all-ins and so on. Nevertheless I made the plus EV decisions and I will be running good on a distance. As you can see the actual result is -$166 but All-in Adj +$281. That happens. It’s a poker:)

• igorbr1
      igorbr1
      Bronze
      Hi, today I would like to post my results for the first seven days of Fabruary. After downswing of 8 buyins at NL 50 I returned back to NL25 and managed to win back my lost.

As for 6-max intermediate course progress, I finished topic Flop Cbetting and sent it to the coach for analysis.
    • igorbr1
      igorbr1
      Bronze
      Hi, I continue to play and here is my result for the last 5 days from 8th till 12th of February.

I experienced an up streak at NL25 tables, but was unlucky at NL50.
    • igorbr1
      igorbr1
      Bronze
      Hi, today I am posting the results of my play from the 13th till 14th of February. I tried to move up to NL50 again but without success. I got unlucky there and in order to reach my weekly goals I moved back to NL25.

I also recorded the new video into my videoblog: Link Text...
    • igorbr1
      igorbr1
      Bronze
      Hi, here is the result of my play from the 15th till 16th of February:

As you can see I experienced a rather big downswing. I played as usual but seemed like every time I got premium hands they lost by the river. Of course I made a couple of big mistakes and stopped my play on the first day by reaching the stop loss. But on the next day the same story continued. Nevertheless I stayed concentrated and did not tilt. Every player experience the hard times at the tables sooner or later and I try to motivate myself with the slogan “Champions Stand Up One More Time Than The Rest”.
    • AlvisR
      AlvisR
      Bronze
      Keep pushing! another blog to read for me! :)